education question
Reilly Offline

Threads: 32
Question  education question
Hi Everyone.
The new school year is fast approaching and I am pleased that I can continue to home school my children. However, I am concerned that the part of my son currently out for most of the day is going to struggle academically. He voiced his fears and said he feels "stupid."
In the past, parts that liked a specific subject would come out and perform those tasks while the others watched from inside or did school work inside assisted by older parts.
He is scared that he won't be successful and get into college someday. I wish his parts would help him but they are annoyed with him presently and have decided to make him responsible for most outside tasks.
My question is this, How did you all handle school? Did you ever have parts that couldn't do the work?
I am thinking of purchasing a few lower grade workbooks and trying to help him to catch up. I don't want him to be frustrated.
Thanks!
08-10-2013, 09:16 PM
Find Reply
MakersDozn Offline
MM Oldtimer

Threads: 186
Caution  RE: education question
Hi from Joseph to Reilly. And I am sorry that your son's inside people are mad at him. And anyway we do not think that he is stupid. Cuz you have to be very smart to have inside people.

And we think we had different inside people at school at different times. Cuz it depends on how old we were and whatever outside stuff there was. And Mary is one of our bigs and she loved learning stuff and she still does.
And our bigger people just told me to put the pink triangle. And anyway Charity and Rachel are two other bigs and they were there too. And Charity just wanted people to be nice to her. And Rachel was the one who kept the scary feelings away. But that is more a Hard Hat Zone thing. Except not yet cuz she is not ready.

And I am not sure about all the other people. Maybe different people coming out for a little bit. Which would take forever to think about cuz of 47 of us.

And I think that workbooks for younger kids is a good idea. Cuz if his littles do them then maybe they will feel better and not be mad at him and they will work together.

Joseph
08-10-2013, 10:28 PM
Website Find Reply
Reilly Offline

Feedback  RE: education question
Thank you Joseph!
I think he is smart too. He is just scared now. I will help him as best I can and make learning fun. Maybe the others will see him trying and support him.
Thanks again.
08-11-2013, 06:34 PM
Find Reply
chem_in_6 Offline

Threads: 6
RE: education question
Hi there

I am finishing up my university degree at the end of the Fall semester. Over the summer school period (when I noticed I started switching and my feelings of dissociation got worse and worse), there were days where I could hardly pay attention in my classes or get work done. Sometimes I'd switch in class briefly, or I'd not remember a word the professor said when it was over. It can be hard for me to get things done if the teens (Zip and Oldest) are angry and don't want to help.

Fortunately the teens and Mella and I (chem) all love to read and learn. Zip likes to be out with me when I'm in class because there are questions to be answered. Oldest is usually out (sometimes with me, sometimes not) when there is something that urgently needs to be done. Oldest is good at that. Mella comes out when there's colouring to be done, and if the subject matter is "safe"

I hope at least part of this is helpful.
-chem
08-12-2013, 12:35 AM
Find Reply
The People Offline
Long Time Member Who grew Up Here

Threads: 1,021
(08-12-2013, 12:35 AM)chem_in_6 Wrote: Hi there

I am finishing up my university degree at the end of the Fall semester. Over the summer school period (when I noticed I started switching and my feelings of dissociation got worse and worse), there were days where I could hardly pay attention in my classes or get work done. Sometimes I'd switch in class briefly, or I'd not remember a word the professor said when it was over. It can be hard for me to get things done if the teens (Zip and Oldest) are angry and don't want to help.

Fortunately the teens and Mella and I (chem) all love to read and learn. Zip likes to be out with me when I'm in class because there are questions to be answered. Oldest is usually out (sometimes with me, sometimes not) when there is something that urgently needs to be done. Oldest is good at that. Mella comes out when there's colouring to be done, and if the subject matter is "safe"

-chem

Re your returning to school this semester. I remember seeing people carry recorders to class. Would that be helpful or scary for you? I mean a little audio one that could record the whole class. If permission was needed I am sure you could get it. Just a thought.
08-12-2013, 11:09 PM
Find Reply
The People Offline
Long Time Member Who grew Up Here

Threads: 1,021
Friendship/Support  RE: education question
Reilly I am surprised that the learning child would be pushed out as a punishment. Mine do the opposite. When somebody is being stupid or ornery the others try to block (usually a her but occasionally a him). I like your idea of making learning fun so that the others might want to join in and help.

Do you belong to any home schooling groups? People here who home school, as well as someone who used to post, belong to home schooling groups so that they have someone to share ideas with as well as to give their kids social outlets. While I cannot see anyone putting put an ad saying "Mother of multiple wanting to start home schooling group" joining one might be helpful for both of you. Your son might be scared of being around others but it is a way of life. And if you have questions you can phrase as 'he' instead of 'they' and some parents might have had similar situations. Home schooling can sometimes lead to social isolation. While I can see why you choose this route for your kids I think it would be helpful for all of you if you had support and the kids knew that they weren't home schooled because despite what you tell them, they are weird or whatever labels they choose for themselves. School is hard as a multiple and it is so easy to grow up and be isolated because hiding behind whatever works is less scary.

This might get a little windy. Some of us here often wondered if MJ was multiple. He did some weird stuff when all he really wanted was to be loved and accepted. People saw him leading the kids around with scarves over their heads but as a result of this the kids were never found out at their karate or whatever acitivity they were at. When Dad was not with them they were scarf free yet not spotted as being MJs kids. It makes sense now but confused people then. What can be a scarf for your son and his others? What can he use so that when he goes out in public, and we all have to go out sometime, nobody will figure out how exceptional he is. They will just see him as another kid taking swimming lessons or going to the library or running track. To me these are the important things to intertwine with the academics. Multiples that I know have trouble feeling accepted. When we are we are surprised. I have some really nice friends who like me and I am unable to see why sometimes. But it helps to know they are there even if they are across the country. OK stopping now. Just something to think about for the other art of schooling. Teach the student not the subject is something I recently read.
I Am My Only Chance For A Hero!
08-12-2013, 11:22 PM
Find Reply
chem_in_6 Offline

Threads: 6
(08-12-2013, 11:09 PM)The People Wrote:
(08-12-2013, 12:35 AM)chem_in_6 Wrote: Hi there

-chem

Re your returning to school this semester. I remember seeing people carry recorders to class. Would that be helpful or scary for you? I mean a little audio one that could record the whole class. If permission was needed I am sure you could get it. Just a thought.

I'm too terrified to ask for that permission.
I might consider it if t-doc recommends it and I get a note that says it's okay to use one.

-chem
08-13-2013, 05:17 AM
Find Reply
Reilly Offline

Feedback  RE: education question
Thanks everyone for your insights.
My kids and I have always been active in our homeschool community. My son has participated in book clubs, science classes, bowling leagues, soccer, music class, etc. Socially he does well and likes to participate in various activities. Lately a part of him that wasn't out academically in previous years is trying so hard to be at grade level and he struggles. I will go slow, make it fun, and not place pressure on him. Hope it works out.
Thanks again.
08-15-2013, 08:07 PM
Find Reply