Meanings of Message Rating Icons
MakersDozn Offline
MM Oldtimer

Threads: 186
News/Information  Meanings of Message Rating Icons
Not sure of what some of the message rating icons mean? Here's an explanation:

[Image: video.gif] A video clip is included in the post.

[Image: rainbow.gif] Spiritual content.

[Image: tongue.gif] A whimsical or irreverent post.

[Image: G.gif] Person posting is afraid.

[Image: SD.gif] Person posting is sad.

[Image: RA.gif]

[spoiler='Meaning of "Red Dot" Icon']Post contains RA/SRA content.[/spoiler]

[Image: QA.gif] Person is posting a question.

[Image: photo.gif] Post contains an image.

[Image: OT.gif] Person is feeling "so-so," or is posting with more than one feeling, or isn't sure what he or she is feeling.

[Image: NI.gif] Post contains news or information.

[Image: music.gif] Post contains music or other audio.

[Image: MT.gif] Post has content that is likely to be triggering.

[Image: JT.gif] Just talking - no strong feelings or triggering content.

[Image: ID.gif] Post contains an idea.

[Image: NW.gif] Person posting is new to the forums.

[Image: HD.gif] Person posting is happy.

[Image: FF.gif] Person is posting friendship or support.

[Image: FB.gif] Post contains feedback.

[Image: EN.gif] Person posting wishes to give someone a hug. (Note: It is recommended that the person posting first ask if the other person is okay receiving hugs.)

[Image: OK.gif] Doing OK.

[Image: C.gif] Use caution when reading. Some trigger potential, but not as much so as the May Trigger icon.

[Image: AN.gif] Post contains anger.

[Image: AD.gif] Agree to disagree with the post to which the member is replying.

[Image: AG.gif] Person agrees with the post to which he or she is replying.
06-16-2012, 11:49 AM
Website Find Reply
Tangled Web Offline

Threads: 169
RE: Meanings of Message Rating Icons
This is awesome MDs. Thanks for doing this!
"You may not remember what someone says or does, but you will never forget how they made you feel" Mac Anderson.
06-16-2012, 11:04 PM
Find Reply
MakersDozn Offline
MM Oldtimer

Just talking  RE: Meanings of Message Rating Icons
You're welcome, TW. We know that there's been more than one case where people were unclear, so it seemed like the thing to do.

MDs
06-17-2012, 09:19 AM
Website Find Reply
Lexy Offline

Threads: 1
o thank you i was wondrieng abot this and now you told me thank you ! Smile
07-09-2012, 09:25 AM
Find Reply
MakersDozn Offline
MM Oldtimer

Friendship/Support  RE: Meanings of Message Rating Icons
(07-09-2012, 09:25 AM)Lexy Wrote: o thank you i was wondrieng abot this and now you told me thank you ! Smile

Hi, Lexy. Glad we could help.

MDs
07-09-2012, 02:22 PM
Website Find Reply
Emma19 Offline

Threads: 3
Thanks MD's . I needed a review of icons. I know how important they are. Take care,emma19
10-12-2012, 03:29 PM
Find Reply
MakersDozn Offline
MM Oldtimer

(10-12-2012, 03:29 PM)Emma19 Wrote: Thanks MD's . I needed a review of icons. I know how important they are. Take care,emma19

Glad to help. And it's good to see you back.

MDs
10-12-2012, 06:23 PM
Website Find Reply
Marley Offline

Threads: 2
I'm new/Introduction  RE: Meanings of Message Rating Icons
hi

didn't even notice the message ratings. maybe the meanings could be posted in the mods forum, or some prominent place?

did notice the rainbow for spiritual stuff, with the bi &gay&lesbian&transgendered & anything overlooked useing the rainbow internationally to represent people who identify not as "straight" but on a sliding scale of gender identity and/or suxuality identity, it might like to be rethought as it could be extremely confusing.

and you can only make one selection?

Marley
12-07-2013, 03:10 AM
Find Reply
Tangled Web Offline

Threads: 169
Hi Marley. We don't need an icon to identify members as not as "straight". If that is something they want to share with others members then they are free to do so. I am sorry if using the rainbow might be confusing for you, but that is the icon that has been chosen for spiritual posts.
Icons are not necessary for posting, but are an option if you want to use them. Yes, you can only make one selection for one post.
TW
"You may not remember what someone says or does, but you will never forget how they made you feel" Mac Anderson.
12-07-2013, 12:31 PM
Find Reply
Marley Offline

(12-07-2013, 12:31 PM)Tangled Web Wrote: Hi Marley. We don't need an icon to identify members as not as "straight". If that is something they want to share with others members then they are free to do so. I am sorry if using the rainbow might be confusing for you, but that is the icon that has been chosen for spiritual posts.
Icons are not necessary for posting, but are an option if you want to use them. Yes, you can only make one selection for one post.
TW

Hi Tangled Web
Just thought to bring this to MM attention incase it had not been thought about, and the confusion this may cause.
Not suggesting it is necessary for sexuality to be disclosed, rather that it is an internationally recognised symbol for this purpose.
If it had already been considered, I apologise, but as a newbee, it lept out at me. Often the ' religious communities do not want to be associated with the 'rainbow' community.
No problem to us, just wanted to rause awareness.
Thank you for your reply
Marley
12-08-2013, 04:03 AM
Find Reply
nats Offline
here and there..

Threads: 89
(12-08-2013, 04:03 AM)Marley Wrote: ..Often the ' religious communities do not want to be associated with the 'rainbow' community.

hi Marley, hadn't thought about it before your post but perhaps a strength of the MM community is that those identifying themselves as 'religious' or 'LGBT' are in no way mutually exclusive. you can be both or neither here.
Blush Learn how to manage conflict, because the greater the level you can tolerate, the more freedom you will retain - E. Walsh Smile
12-08-2013, 06:35 AM
Find Reply
Marley Offline

hi
thank you for your acknowledgement and reply.
appreciated
Marley
12-09-2013, 06:07 AM
Find Reply
Downtherabbithole Offline

Threads: 29
Thanks for this, I saw symbols next to posts but wasn't sure what they all meant now I know I can look here when don't remember what means. Cheers
03-20-2014, 08:32 PM
Find Reply
The People Offline
Long Time Member Who grew Up Here

Threads: 1,021
Curious as to why the use of icons is n longer mandatory. At times I understand that it doesn't matter except for the people involved, like when there is a flower or hug. But red dot or triangles, especially the red ones. I know it is encouraged and I still do it automatically but when I first came and was not ready to deal with yet undiscovered red dot issues, having the sign up helped me to avoid them.
01-15-2015, 06:01 PM
Find Reply
MakersDozn Offline
MM Oldtimer

Hi,

We see that TW answered your question in another thread. She's right in that the single-page view negates the value of making icons mandatory. It might be useful in rating the original message in a thread, but if the triggerability (if that's a word) changes in a later message in the same thread, the original icon won't necessarily apply, because the whole thread is open anyway.

We ourselves continue to place icons on all of our posts as a courtesy, and because we find comfort in the consistency of doing so. Other than that, their value is limited in the new thread format.

Hope this clarifies things.

MDs
01-16-2015, 06:15 PM
Website Find Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Icons and posting The People 1 2,768 06-22-2013, 02:27 PM
Last Post: Tangled Web
News/Information Message for Kay MakersDozn 0 2,309 05-24-2013, 01:41 PM
Last Post: MakersDozn
Question Question Question about icons little monkies 2 3,741 06-17-2012, 06:32 PM
Last Post: little monkies