Reading Glasses Need Fixing
MakersDozn Offline
MM Oldtimer

Threads: 186
Angry  Reading Glasses Need Fixing
We have a screw loose. [Image: rolleye2.gif]

We were minding our own business, cleaning both pairs of glasses (distance and reading), when one of the lenses popped out of our reading glasses. The adjacent screw, which is supposed to hold the front part of the frame together, had come loose.

Our local Pearle Vision store is closed on Sundays. Of those that are open, the earliest time is 11AM. We have plans with the FOO today, and this is going to delay us by as much as two hours.

Meanwhile, to do close work, we're wearing our RX distance glasses *and* a pair of drugstore distance glasses at the same time.

Sonofab*tch. Angry

Laura and others
06-17-2012, 09:28 AM
Website Find Reply
Reilly Offline

Threads: 32
Feedback  RE: Reading Glasses Need Fixing
(06-17-2012, 09:28 AM)MakersDozn Wrote: We have a screw loose. [Image: rolleye2.gif]

We were minding our own business, cleaning both pairs of glasses (distance and reading), when one of the lenses popped out of our reading glasses. The adjacent screw, which is supposed to hold the front part of the frame together, had come loose.

Our local Pearle Vision store is closed on Sundays. Of those that are open, the earliest time is 11AM. We have plans with the FOO today, and this is going to delay us by as much as two hours.

Meanwhile, to do close work, we're wearing our RX distance glasses *and* a pair of drugstore distance glasses at the same time.

Sonofab*tch. Angry

Laura and others

Hi Laura.
You might try Walmart. Even though I did not purchase my glasses from them, they were kind and repaired them quickly.
Good luck!
06-17-2012, 11:15 AM
Find Reply
MakersDozn Offline
MM Oldtimer

Doing okay  RE: Reading Glasses Need Fixing
(06-17-2012, 11:15 AM)Reilly Wrote: [Hi Laura.
You might try Walmart. Even though I did not purchase my glasses from them, they were kind and repaired them quickly.
Good luck!

Hi, Reilly. We're good now. Thanks for letting us know about Walmart, though.

Laura, Allegra, and others
06-17-2012, 05:18 PM
Website Find Reply
WendyLee Offline

Threads: 5
RE: Reading Glasses Need Fixing
MD, I am sorry that you are having trouble with your glasses, and good for you all for finding a way around the problem!. That was a very creative idea to combine OTC reading glasses with your prescription ones!

We bought a little eyeglass fix-it kit with assorted screws and a teeny screwdriver, but it is easy to lose and hard for us to find when I am stressed.

Thanks for the reminder! Occasionally some of us used to double up OTC reading glasses with the trifocals and it really seemed to help with really close up craft work that we loved to do, but we stopped all of it after the body fell over a year ago. We have been waiting to get back to it since it makes the ear-ringing scream at us a lot worse on top of the back pain all the time and doc appts, etc, blah, blah, blah. The ENT doc said the raised tinnitus is due stress, but maybe it is also due to the eyestrain of not doubling up the glasses for close work. (I did see the eye doc last April and got a new prescription at the VA hospital.)

I am really new to recognizing and catering (in a good way) to different alters. We will pull out something fun and creative to do today and see how it goes with assorted eyeglass configurations for different inners. Thanks for the idea!
06-24-2012, 07:48 AM
Find Reply
WendyLee Offline

Threads: 5
RE: Reading Glasses Need Fixing
Laura+, That was a very creative way to figure out how to take care of your needs! Bravo!
06-24-2012, 07:51 AM
Find Reply
tweeter Offline

Threads: 24
Friendship/Support  RE: Reading Glasses Need Fixing
(06-17-2012, 05:18 PM)MakersDozn Wrote:
(06-17-2012, 11:15 AM)Reilly Wrote: [Hi Laura.
Good luck!

Hi, Reilly. We're good now. Thanks for letting us know about Walmart, though.

Laura, Allegra, and others

Hi, I have one of those eyeglass repair kits. Darned if I can find it now though. Saw it in passing. Anyhow, I've used it in the past. I would think that CostCo could be helpful too.
Glad things are better now,
tweets
"Even the very emptiest of the emptiest
Has a false bottom, a false bottom."
06-24-2012, 12:57 PM
Find Reply
MakersDozn Offline
MM Oldtimer

Just talking  RE: Reading Glasses Need Fixing
(06-24-2012, 12:57 PM)tweeter Wrote: Hi, I have one of those eyeglass repair kits. Darned if I can find it now though. Saw it in passing. Anyhow, I've used it in the past. I would think that CostCo could be helpful too.
tweets

Unfortunately, our eyesight (without the glasses) isn't good enough to be able to use a repair kit. Thanks anyway, though.

Laura and others
06-24-2012, 04:39 PM
Website Find Reply
tweeter Offline

Threads: 24
Doing okay  RE: Reading Glasses Need Fixing
(06-24-2012, 04:39 PM)MakersDozn Wrote:
(06-24-2012, 12:57 PM)tweeter Wrote: Hi, I have one of those eyeglass repair kits. Darned if I can find it now though. Saw it in passing. Anyhow, I've used it in the past. I would think that CostCo could be helpful too.
tweets

Unfortunately, our eyesight (without the glasses) isn't good enough to be able to use a repair kit. Thanks anyway, though.

Laura and others

You'd think I'd have figured that out, especially as I would now need my magnifiers to do said task. My way is generally to rig a supported magnifying glass so I can see, while I use both hands to to take care of a repair, or whatever. One of these days I'll invest in a mounted magnifying glass with a small area for higher magnification. It would be good for making some bead necklaces. First I have to find the beads in this chaotic mess.
cheerios,
tweeter
"Even the very emptiest of the emptiest
Has a false bottom, a false bottom."
06-24-2012, 11:52 PM
Find Reply
MakersDozn Offline
MM Oldtimer

Just talking  RE: Reading Glasses Need Fixing
(06-24-2012, 11:52 PM)tweeter Wrote: My way is generally to rig a supported magnifying glass so I can see, while I use both hands to to take care of a repair, or whatever.

Yeah, that's pretty much what we'd do, if we were to do it ourselves.

Laura and others
06-25-2012, 05:15 PM
Website Find Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
May trigger Question for anyone who is reading The People 5 3,085 04-25-2020, 07:30 PM
Last Post: mosaic