What relaxes you?
The People Offline
Long Time Member Who grew Up Here

Threads: 1,021
What relaxes you?
I have been working hard at my writing of late. I find it to be very soothing. As I wrote I included the use of bubbles in the story where the helper character mentioned that she gave bubbles to clients for assistance with learning breathing techniques. I will blow bubbles for the kitties and occasionally I will go out on my balcony and send them off to friends in heaven

.While I have to push myself out the door for yoga I do find it helpful once I am there.

I used to find baths relaxing, sitting in there with a book. Not so much anymore. Only occasionally. I don't find it as comfortable as I used to with this aging body. I would like to design a tub with a sand underlay that would conform to your body like it does at the beach. That would be cool. (a bit of a switch there.)
08-16-2013, 01:53 AM
Find Reply
Reilly Offline

Threads: 32
Feedback  RE: What relaxes you?
Hi The People.
I like to make a cup of Irish Breakfast tea and curl up on the couch. Recently at bedtime my son began to watch a sweet children's program called the Pajanimals. This allows him to relax and drift off to sleep peacefully. Lately, I have been joining him and noticed that I sleep better too.
08-16-2013, 09:28 PM
Find Reply
tweeter Offline

Threads: 24
Spiritual content  RE: What relaxes you?
There are degrees of relaxation; my list is not in order of degree.

In southwest, I found sp. relaxation, though I remain unaffiliated in my beliefs.
It's what a place, a painting/sculpture, a piece of furniture, what a person holds and communicates by state of being, and how that is received by me. Cumulatively.
There is a constant that remains though, at least for me. I'm looking for something, for connections, and when I find them, when I'm received as when my vision is filled with something wonderful and a raven cackles nearby, when there is a mutual, allowing in between people, even with healthy wariness, a special relaxation occurs and might remain.

1. The rock formations, flora, sky, colors, the special, undefinable, type of quiet I experienced in the high desert areas of Arizona and New Mexico. I carry this in my heart.
I lived in NM for close to a year. It was time to wander. There were many reasons for my move to the NYC building where I had spent most of my childhood. Far from relaxation, but a temporary necessity, which has been met and finished.

2. The relaxation that precedes and accompanies focussing that is central to my work, when I'm able to do it. This relaxation is based on self-trust.

3. Mutual, nonverbal communication in general, especially that between myself and a dog, with a wild animal, and, as of late, some very young children. Also, the relaxed silences that exist naturally when spending time with a good friend.

4. Some of Mark Rothko's paintings. For instance, in the small calendar (2013) out of the National Gallery of Art, Rothko. The June and December pages, in particular. August is fun.

5. Some paintings by John Singer Sargent.

6. A few Asian (likely to be in the prayer rug category) and Native American rugs I've seen.

7. A quiet and comfortable church, where I can think and maybe take a nap in peace.

8. TV series, Heartland. The manic trip, in attitude and expectations, of modern living is slowed. This one hour show seems longer, and that relaxes me. People look at each other, are influenced by peers or elders to do so. There's an attempt to see what is in a person. Seems to be room for correction and acceptance, at least some of the time, as long as a person is trying. I like the horse whisperer part, and the occasional entrance of First Nation ways. Something in me is awakened and relaxed by all of it.

9. Memory of the presence of someone I met on a trip, before things got messed up by another, and by my own fear. Those few moments brought me relaxed happiness, and led me on a trek back to my true, inborn, heart. Like a trail of breadcrumbs, which I've followed.

tweeter
"Even the very emptiest of the emptiest
Has a false bottom, a false bottom."
(This post was last modified: 08-17-2013, 12:29 PM by tweeter.)
08-17-2013, 12:17 PM
Find Reply
Cammy Offline

Threads: 98
RE: What relaxes you?
I have severe anxiety issues. I use Mindful Meditation to get away from my mind and focus it outside itself, while at the same time this technique repairs, rewires, and restores my brain physiologically. It also deals with any and all trauma and issues and makes them fade. It is not for the faint-hearted. It s a commitment. It doesn't work over night. Some people really have to hit total rock bottom before they are ready to do what it takes to restore themselves to better than what they ever were, and to let go of the past, permanently. This process requires courage and even skepticism. I practice it like my life depends on it, because it does. My past does not define me...I am not afraid to let it go. I find this process relieves anxiety and is relaxing.

For those not ready to commit, there is always a warm sea salt bath.
Heart
Disclaimer: Any words or phrases used in our posts are meant in a completely respectful manner. Please know that we always endeavour to be kind and supportive.
08-17-2013, 06:19 PM
Find Reply
Blue Offline

Yo Igraine. Mindful meditation sounds real interesting. I have a lot of past issues but i choose not to go there. However, our host, Angel is suffering because of her past. Do you think Meditation could help her?
Blue.
"The human spirit can and will withstand n overcome anythin"
08-21-2013, 07:25 PM
Find Reply
Blue Offline

Also Lila is struggling with her past issues, but she's only 7. Does meditation work with kids?
Blue.
"The human spirit can and will withstand n overcome anythin"
08-21-2013, 07:26 PM
Find Reply
The People Offline

(08-21-2013, 07:26 PM)Blue Wrote: Also Lila is struggling with her past issues, but she's only 7. Does meditation work with kids?
Blue.

There has been success in helping kids use meditation. You could Google it. As well, my friend is a teacher and she uses something called Brain Gym with her students before tests etc. It has been very helpful.
08-26-2013, 03:05 AM
Find Reply
The People Offline

(08-16-2013, 09:28 PM)Reilly Wrote: Hi The People.
I like to make a cup of Irish Breakfast tea and curl up on the couch. Recently at bedtime my son began to watch a sweet children's program called the Pajanimals. This allows him to relax and drift off to sleep peacefully. Lately, I have been joining him and noticed that I sleep better too.

Two and the other littles like for us to read to them. We have a beautiful copy of Through the Looking Glass. It took us a long time to get through as Two would have long discussions with/about the beautiful photos. We now have a book of abbreviated bible stories that we are starting. As I said we just read a bit at a time but they love it.
08-26-2013, 03:07 AM
Find Reply
chem_in_6 Offline

Threads: 6
Mella, Peskee, and Jo Jo like it if we teens (and/or chem) read to them. we have a copy of "Guess How Much I Love You" that we will read. they like looking at the pictures in my science textbooks, and they love looking at the photos chem takes.

we older crew members like going on a bike ride or a long hike to clear the mind. Oldest and chem like practising martial arts slowly
08-26-2013, 03:34 AM
Find Reply
The People Offline

We used to love tai chi as it was free when we were in another city. just loved it. loved getting together with friends and having coffee. we used to be a lot more physical stuff.
I Am My Only Chance For A Hero!
08-27-2013, 02:28 AM
Find Reply
MakersDozn Offline
MM Oldtimer

Threads: 186
Feedback  RE: What relaxes you?
FreeCell. The version we have for Windows 8 is set up so that if you end up with no moves left, you can start over again without getting a loss. Right now we have over 200 wins.

The XP version was better in some ways, though. There was a King icon at the top center that used to move his head back and forth as we moved the cursor. We used to call him Elvis. And we would sit there moving the cursor back and forth just to see Elvis turn his head, as if he were watching a tennis match.

Also, on the XP version, we used to like to make the game last for as long as possible (as many moves as possible) without being solved. But in the current version, if there is no impediment to winning, the game automatically makes all the moves that are left so that we can't do it ourselves and extend the game.

*shrug*

Various MDs
08-27-2013, 10:40 PM
Website Find Reply