Creativity question
The People Offline
Long Time Member Who grew Up Here

Threads: 1,021
Question  Creativity question
One of the many factors involved with going from me to we at a young age is the ability to imagine. To create. IMO I figure that we all have different creativity skills. Do you agree and if so what is yours - even if you do not use it.

- I write pretty well
- when people have trouble understanding something I am good at creating new ways to explain things to them.
I Am My Only Chance For A Hero!
08-07-2013, 11:55 PM
Find Reply
nats Offline
here and there..

Threads: 89
RE: Creativity question
writing and drawing. never use the second but earn a living from the first.
Blush Learn how to manage conflict, because the greater the level you can tolerate, the more freedom you will retain - E. Walsh Smile
08-08-2013, 02:15 AM
Find Reply
chem_in_6 Offline

Threads: 6
I (chem) write poetry/prose well. I'm also a good photographer and person who does ceramics
Oldest (19/20 years old) is very good at ceramics and spatial arrangement of objects.
Zip (14) and I (chem) are good at coaching, especially martial arts and gymnastics

We (chem, Zip, and Oldest), are good at explaining difficult things to people using words and concepts they can understand.
08-08-2013, 05:13 AM
Find Reply
Reilly Offline

Threads: 32
Caution  RE: Creativity question
Very interesting question!
My son is musically gifted, many of his parts can draw and paint, knit and crochet and he can fix things with ease. I recall one of my son's younger parts putting together a bookcase for me (without the directions) that came with numerous pieces.
I think being creative is essential in dissociation. I have an additional question. Were any of you "encouraged" strongly to be creative? For example, I know that my son was taught and forced to draw. His creativity was used for the benefit of others and sadly used as a means to control him. Today, I tell him to draw or paint or create music for himself, simply for pleasure.
By the way, I can't draw, play an instrument, or knit. I appreciate his talents.
08-08-2013, 05:23 PM
Find Reply
chem_in_6 Offline

My mum was an art major and a substitute preschool teacher. She had a lot to do with my introduction to art and she allowed me to draw, paint, play with clay, build things out of cardboard boxes and other material destined for the recycle bin. When I was in kindergarten, she would have me "think like a preschooler" and try out art projects to see if they were going to be too difficult her kids to do. I (chem) see a lot of that in Peskee (5 years old) and Mella (10 years old), especially when I get the chance to use coloured pencils for some of my college assignments.

When I got into martial arts and sports, I was always encouraged to keep improving and having fun. Eventually with the martial arts, it got to a point where I got pushed beyond my capabilities and "bowed out" so I could train on my own without feeling pressured to take on roles that I couldn't handle.
08-08-2013, 06:45 PM
Find Reply
Tangled Web Offline

Threads: 169
I was never encouraged to be creative but it is something that we can be. Some of us are great at writing, playing music and drawing.
TW
"You may not remember what someone says or does, but you will never forget how they made you feel" Mac Anderson.
08-08-2013, 11:28 PM
Find Reply
The People Offline

(08-08-2013, 05:23 PM)Reilly Wrote: Very interesting question!
My son is musically gifted, many of his parts can draw and paint, knit and crochet and he can fix things with ease. I recall one of my son's younger parts putting together a bookcase for me (without the directions) that came with numerous pieces.
I think being creative is essential in dissociation. I have an additional question. Were any of you "encouraged" strongly to be creative? For example, I know that my son was taught and forced to draw. His creativity was used for the benefit of others and sadly used as a means to control him. Today, I tell him to draw or paint or create music for himself, simply for pleasure.
By the way, I can't draw, play an instrument, or knit. I appreciate his talents.

In answer to your question, I have always been encouraged with regards to my writing. I still have a goal of being published for money and have many projects on the go. The encouragement never came from home but from teacher in different grades. As an adult we were encouraged to draw. It was great for the littles who couldn't write or had no words to describe what had happened. We don't use that tool as much but will still drag out paper and crayon (choice for drawing as it is more brilliant than pencils) BTW a suggestion for some of the more anxious littles. If they do not already have their own IPod or other music stick perhaps you could get them one. Let the anxious ones choose the music that they find calming. Everybody is different so it is important that they decide what they want.
08-09-2013, 04:20 PM
Find Reply
The People Offline

(08-08-2013, 06:45 PM)chem_in_6 Wrote: My mum was an art major and a substitute preschool teacher. She had a lot to do with my introduction to art and she allowed me to draw, paint, play with clay, build things out of cardboard boxes and other material destined for the recycle bin. When I was in kindergarten, she would have me "think like a preschooler" and try out art projects to see if they were going to be too difficult her kids to do. I (chem) see a lot of that in Peskee (5 years old) and Mella (10 years old), especially when I get the chance to use coloured pencils for some of my college assignments.

When I got into martial arts and sports, I was always encouraged to keep improving and having fun. Eventually with the martial arts, it got to a point where I got pushed beyond my capabilities and "bowed out" so I could train on my own without feeling pressured to take on roles that I couldn't handle.

Encouraged? Wow. Pushed? Wow. Pushed beyond capacity is not so good but encouragement from within the home is something we can never comprehend.
08-09-2013, 04:22 PM
Find Reply
The People Offline

Happy  RE: Creativity question
I was expecting some good answers and that is what I got. And I am thinking that people who have not responded could dig into their bag of skills and find things that they do better than average. In the bit of writing I did on this in my book (chapter one take 4) I talk about imagination being a criteria for alters to come forward. Lots of kids have 'imaginary friends'. We are not imaginary; we went beyond that because we decided to stay. I don't have the biology of this down but that is my take on DID and coming forward.
08-09-2013, 04:26 PM
Find Reply
chem_in_6 Offline

My mum was the encouraging one. She helped me to see that it's okay to not be "AWESOME" at something and still be able to enjoy it (probably the biggest reason I stuck with pole vaulting). She also told me it was okay to be really good at things and not want to continue with them (goalkeeping in lacrosse and field hockey). Mum let me try lots of things to see what I liked. I tried gymnastics, dance (eww), youth soccer, martial arts (still train), lacrosse (men's and women's as a goalie), field hockey (goalie), roller hockey (goalie), pole vault, track and field, music, drama, painting, drawing, ceramics, all kinds of cool things. This inspired me to play club soccer at my university last season (again, as a goalie).

-chem (who's apparently rambly according to Oldest and Zip)
08-10-2013, 06:47 AM
Find Reply
MakersDozn Offline
MM Oldtimer

Threads: 186
Friendship/Support  RE: Creativity question
Hi from Joseph to chem! And I am 8 and a half and I like to have fun. And we never met someone who did pole vaulting before. And I think pole vaulting would be very fun but my other people would only like to watch. And how high up can you go?

Joseph Smile
(This post was last modified: 08-10-2013, 08:24 PM by MakersDozn.)
08-10-2013, 08:22 PM
Website Find Reply
chem_in_6 Offline

Hi Joseph!

It's nice to meet you. What kinds of things do you like to do for fun?
Pole vaulting is fun because it feels like flying, and you can be upside down, too.
You have to practise a lot, and it can be hard work.
On a really good day, and when I'm using the right size and weight rated pole, I can clear a bar 10 and a half feet in the air. That's twice body's height

-chem with some help from Zip
08-10-2013, 08:57 PM
Find Reply
MakersDozn Offline
MM Oldtimer

Threads: 186
Friendship/Support  RE: Creativity question
Wow that is very high! And very cool! And thank you very much.

And would like to do some things that my other people are scared of. Like jumping into a pool. Cuz our body does not swim. Which is cuz of bad stuff which I do not want to bum anybody out with.

And I would like to cook cuz I love to eat. But the others mostly do not like to cook. Except maybe Allegra. And maybe some others who do not come out much. But we live in an apartment with a stove that is older than our body. And Laura says it was probably Fred Flintstone's stove.

But we like to eat salads and also we have a microwave. Except the 1 and 4 and 7 buttons do not work anymore. So we have to fool it like press 60 seconds instead of 1 minute.

And would like to go on a roller coaster but I think our body would barf. Hahaha.

Joseph Smile
08-10-2013, 10:17 PM
Website Find Reply
Cammy Offline

Threads: 98
I can write effectively and in ways that can move people. I can also practically tell everything there is to know about a person when I first meet them. Many people have asked me, "Do I have a sign on my forehead? Am I that transparent?" No. Just to me they are. I also have the ability to feel what another person is feeling (or an animal). This has been a blessing and a curse. I am also able to walk into an emergency situation and calmly, rationally, and effectively handle it with perfect clarity. I also have experienced some clairvoyant skills, but these are not highly developed in me as they would be in someone truly gifted. I also have a way with wild animals. I've had gophers climb up the steps where I am sitting and crawl in my lap. I don't know what that is, but even as a child I have had a very strong connection with animals, even bugs trust me. It's weird, but so am I.
Heart
Disclaimer: Any words or phrases used in our posts are meant in a completely respectful manner. Please know that we always endeavour to be kind and supportive.
08-11-2013, 12:27 PM
Find Reply
chem_in_6 Offline

oh, forgot to mention this...

I have a very unique relationship with animals both wild and domesticated. I've been nicknamed the critter whisperer

-chem
08-12-2013, 02:45 AM
Find Reply