Doing it T less?
The People Offline
Long Time Member Who grew Up Here

Threads: 1,021
Question  Doing it T less?
Just wondering how many people are going without a T at this time. Especially by choice. How long and how effective is it for you? What are some alternatives that you use?

We wrote about the catastrophic attempt to start with a new T. Too many potholes on that path. We feel very much alone right now (and PDOC is on vaca) but we feel alone most of the time anyway so what difference does it make?

We stopped most of the bad things although the temptation is there sometimes. We were considering going back to work but unless something drops in our lap it is not going to happen as we have no energy to look; and don't know if we could hold down a job right now with this mess.

I don't know what to do. We started T in the late 80s Longest break was a few months. We needed space b/t T leaving that we really liked and one taking over that we never thought we would trust as much as we did. She had to give up being a T private as she has a job with teens and it all got to be too much. Are we angry? We tried not to be but Peak is furious... biggest non-truster of Ts in the whole system with good reason.

So?Dodgy
07-06-2013, 03:13 AM
Find Reply
Tangled Web Offline

Threads: 169
RE: Doing it T less?
I went without therapy from 1994-2009. I did it by choice because I thought I was all better. I had stopped doing SI behavior and stayed out of hospitals. For me having my child stopped everything for me. I am trying to think of a way to say to this that won't offend anyone..........I found taking the focus OFF of me and our problems/childhood/life and placing it on someone else really helped out a lot. Like volunteering somewhere with needy kids and doing something that REALLY made a difference. That is what really helped me in the beginning. I am now back in T because everything came crashing down and flooding back but I did have a pretty good life for awhile.
Not sure if this is helpful but just wanted to respond.
TW
"You may not remember what someone says or does, but you will never forget how they made you feel" Mac Anderson.
07-06-2013, 11:18 AM
Find Reply
The People Offline
Long Time Member Who grew Up Here

Threads: 1,021
(07-06-2013, 11:18 AM)Tangled Web Wrote: I went without therapy from 1994-2009. I did it by choice because I thought I was all better. I had stopped doing SI behavior and stayed out of hospitals. For me having my child stopped everything for me. I am trying to think of a way to say to this that won't offend anyone..........I found taking the focus OFF of me and our problems/childhood/life and placing it on someone else really helped out a lot. Like volunteering somewhere with needy kids and doing something that REALLY made a difference. That is what really helped me in the beginning. I am now back in T because everything came crashing down and flooding back but I did have a pretty good life for awhile.
Not sure if this is helpful but just wanted to respond.
TW

Thanks so much for this response. And I agree that taking the focus off oneself is the best medicine. We really do get lock into me I my etc. I am at my best when I am writing or helping others. No set order. My jobs have always involved helping others. It was never my job that got to me. It was the trolls under the bridge disguised as staff that got to me. I left because of physical illness however. I think it is time to go back. While this will be scary it will still be good for me. Single 2 cats is difficult in a cement city where you know hardly anyone and are an ENFP despite the anxiety.

I don't view what you did as 'going back'. You chose a different path because things were happening. But nobody can tale away the fact that you did it on your own for so long. Good luck with the rest of it and thanks for the encouragement. I do think it is time. I actually calmed downThumU when I came to that decision.
07-06-2013, 05:26 PM
Find Reply
Tangled Web Offline

What does ENFP mean?
I am glad you made a decision and it has calmed down for yous. I find our anxiety increases a lot also when we struggle over making a decision and the longer it takes to make that decision the stronger the anxiety gets. I have found that when I put our energy into something/someone else and do it for that person is how we function best. That is until we can learn how to do it for ourselves. I used to be told that was the wrong thing to do but if it works and it does help us, I can't see anything wrong with it. I guess that is one of the reasons we became a nurse, it feels good to help people, it feels good to be needed and it feels good to know you made a small difference in someone's life.
TW
"You may not remember what someone says or does, but you will never forget how they made you feel" Mac Anderson.
07-07-2013, 12:17 AM
Find Reply
MakersDozn Offline
MM Oldtimer

Threads: 186
Just talking  RE: Doing it T less?
Hope people don't mind our butting in here. ENFP is one of the 16 Myers-Briggs personality types. We/MDs have studied Myers-Briggs and related subjects as a hobby for years. In a nutshell, ENFPs are outgoing and people-oriented and have a desire to help others.

MDs
07-07-2013, 10:15 AM
Website Find Reply
Tangled Web Offline

Thank you MDs. I have never heard of that or of Myers-Briggs.
07-07-2013, 11:19 AM
Find Reply
nats Offline
here and there..

Threads: 89
stopped T in Feb after 4yrs. Can honestly say we don't miss it. Can also honestly say the issues we went in for in the first place were never resolved. just decided that maybe that's just something we have to accept.
Blush Learn how to manage conflict, because the greater the level you can tolerate, the more freedom you will retain - E. Walsh Smile
07-07-2013, 12:46 PM
Find Reply