First Chiropractor Visit Ever....
MakersDozn Offline
MM Oldtimer

Threads: 186
Just talking  First Chiropractor Visit Ever....
Our new mattress has helped our sleep immensely, but there has been some lingering, dull pain in our lower back. So yesterday we saw a chiropractor for the first time. (The body is 51.)

After speaking with us at length and doing the things that chiropractors do, she said that in all likelihood, the pain is a muscle spasm. We told her that there was no specific causal incident, but that we are under a lot of stress. She said that she wants us to have a back x-ray to rule out arthritis and disc issues. And she wants us to come back to see her again after the x-ray.

It's frustrating how much difficulty is caused when we stuff our emotions. We feel trapped by circumstances, and it's affecting our physical health as well as our mental and emotional health.

MDs Undecided
(This post was last modified: 07-04-2013, 11:53 AM by MakersDozn.)
06-30-2013, 02:35 PM
Website Find Reply
MakersDozn Offline
MM Oldtimer

Doing okay  RE: First Chiropractor Visit Ever....
A co-worker, who's been following our mattress and chiropractic stories, happened to suggest to us that we get a footrest for use at work. She showed us hers (she's five feet tall) and said that she got it from the facilities people at work, and that it helps her back.

Since we/MDs are 5'2", she figured that we might be helped by one of those things. Our co-worker asked us if we'd like her to find out if the facilities people had another footrest. We said we would, and we thanked her. Shortly thereafter, we had a new toy to play with, and no dangling legs. We have to get used to sitting all the way back in our chair and let all the ergonomics do their thing.

Our footrest isn't as sturdy as our co-worker's (hers is made of wood and ours is made of cheap....something), but it works.

MDs

Attached Files Image(s)

(This post was last modified: 07-02-2013, 09:14 PM by MakersDozn.)
07-02-2013, 09:13 PM
Website Find Reply
The Warren Offline
Configurator of Things

Threads: 95
RE: First Chiropractor Visit Ever....
Oh hihi yes that can help. not sitting right at work can make you hurt more. If your work has a ergonomics assessment program you should use it. we see a chiropracter he helps a lot.
byby
sidra
"And I'm a million different people from one day to the next." - The Verve, Bittersweet Symphony
07-04-2013, 09:30 AM
Find Reply
MakersDozn Offline
MM Oldtimer

Friendship/Support  RE: First Chiropractor Visit Ever....
Hi sidra,

Thanks. Good to see you guys. The footrest does help. The HR people at work are very much into wellness stuff that prevents people from getting ill later (which would bring more insurance costs).

We're going to have the back x-ray tomorrow. We're not in any rush to go see the chiro afterward; we've got lots of other things to do, and we want our vacation time (through Wednesday the 10th) to have enough relaxation time and not too many obligations. Our brother's birthday is Monday the 8th, and we also have a dental checkup that morning. And we have T on Wednesday as usual.

So the chiro can wait. As long as we get the images for her, that's what counts.

MDs
07-04-2013, 11:59 AM
Website Find Reply
The Warren Offline
Configurator of Things

Threads: 95
my dr has the xray in his office. i hope there is nothing very bad in your back. We go to the dentist on july 16.yuck.
byby
sidra
"And I'm a million different people from one day to the next." - The Verve, Bittersweet Symphony
07-04-2013, 04:54 PM
Find Reply
tweeter Offline

Threads: 24
Hi MDs,
The perfect chair is worth its weight in gold, especially when gold prices decline. And, I'm a creature of footrests and ottomans.

Seriously, I hope your Rays turn out fine. But, even if there is arthritis, etc., that doesn't point to pain origin in the least. Long known that notable spine/disc issues often show in people who are doing perfectly fine and require no treatment. In fact, doing anything would be questionable.

The spasm prelim. dx sounds honest and reasonable. I'm pleased that you've been getting relief from environmental adjustments. Some internal work has to be done in order for you to get rid of this thing, or have more control over it. The word is Alignment.

I remember how some people in T'ai Chi class got it all wrong by maintaining a board-like straightness of the back and neck. The point of origin for training is in the lower back/hip/belly interactive area.
The key is Relaxation. We all store stress in body parts. The most common being shoulders, lower back, neck and jaw, etc. It can get sneaky, cause you think you've relaxed, but below the perceived muscle layer there's tension galore. Without the right teacher (i.e., T'ai Chi, etc.) or massage person, who is committed to making you independent of outside aid, it's harder. These people, when adept and responsible, can barely touch trigger points (well-known from Shiatsu, etc.) that cause an automatic release of local muscle tension, so that one automatically falls into correct alignment. Hard to aim for something unless you have some idea of what it's supposed to feel like. There's an awareness factor (which might be difficult for you, as it is for a lot of people), and the retraining itself. I wish I knew a good Shiatsu person to suggest.

I knew when I had nailed it. It's an unmistakable feeling. I wish I could just give it to you. I would. I'm sure there's more than one way to approach. I eventually did it with moderate horse stance, and a master teaching me to sink my energy. He taught me in 15 seconds. The practice took me a couple of years. As you might remember, this odyssey started with my work to overcome fibromyalgia.

wishing you well,
tweets
"Even the very emptiest of the emptiest
Has a false bottom, a false bottom."
08-06-2013, 05:11 PM
Find Reply
MakersDozn Offline
MM Oldtimer

Doing okay  RE: First Chiropractor Visit Ever....
Thanks. We're doing a lot better, chiropractically speaking. But we are home from work today because we're exhausted. Call it a sanity break as well.

Laura and others
08-09-2013, 08:25 AM
Website Find Reply
tweeter Offline

Hi Laura and Others,
Good that you're able to take this sanity day, and that you're feeling better.

Look, in a way, I feel an apology is in order cause I was pushy in my extended suggestions for followups above. Was only because it's important to me that you're well, but that has to be according to what you feel is best, and safe, and that you'd get what you paid for without additional baggage (through no fault of your own).
have a peaceful day,
tweeter Sno1
08-09-2013, 01:18 PM
Find Reply
MakersDozn Offline
MM Oldtimer

Not a problem. We know that you're trying to help, and we take it in that context, without pressure. As they say in the 12-step groups, "Take what you like and leave the rest."

Had a couple of naps, played some FreeCell, some computer SuDoku, and some computer Mah-Jongg. About to do a bellyflop into our daily Snapple right now, and we're hoping to get some errands done later. All while remembering that we're supposed to get enough rest.

Thanks,

Laura and others
(This post was last modified: 08-09-2013, 02:10 PM by MakersDozn.)
08-09-2013, 02:10 PM
Website Find Reply
tweeter Offline

Thanks to you too, for understanding me and letting me know it.
It seems that you've made a nice day of it.

I'm considering a short journey to my neighborhood Costco. I like Kirkland chocolate milk. I also get frozen cod and canned Kirkland tuna regularly.

I've found a series on TV that I really like: Heartland. It takes place in Alberta (pretty scenes by the Rockies), portrays family-oriented ranch life, with a bit of First Nation interaction (that's what hooked me). People take the time to talk to each other, not that there's no conflict. It's different.

cheerios,
tweeter
08-09-2013, 05:40 PM
Find Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Angry Update since my last visit to this page The People 4 3,727 05-03-2018, 05:47 PM
Last Post: nats