Finding a new therapist
Reilly Offline

Threads: 32
Sad  Finding a new therapist
I brought my son to a new therapist who I was told specializes in treating trauma related issues. While she was willing to see him, she stated it would be once every THREE WEEKS! Is she kidding? She expects him to open up about severe issues and then wait nearly a month to address his concerns again. She said this is how her agency (a child counseling center) works. My son was disappointed that we wasted our time even talking to her. I was too as we already had the intake and was told we would begin therapy. Oh well. I realize that I must find a private therapist. I think I might have found one and I emailed her to see if she takes our insurance, etc, etc. Hoping this therapist works out.
06-08-2013, 04:34 PM
Find Reply
MakersDozn Offline
MM Oldtimer

Threads: 186
Friendship/Support  RE: Finding a new therapist
We're sorry that you've had another setback in finding a suitable T for your son. Hoping that the next candidate is better.

MDs
06-08-2013, 09:13 PM
Website Find Reply
nats Offline
here and there..

Threads: 89
RE: Finding a new therapist
(06-08-2013, 04:34 PM)Reilly Wrote: ...She said this is how her agency (a child counseling center) works...

seems really odd. how could this be justified as effective?
Blush Learn how to manage conflict, because the greater the level you can tolerate, the more freedom you will retain - E. Walsh Smile
06-09-2013, 06:05 AM
Find Reply
Reilly Offline

Sad  RE: Finding a new therapist
Thanks for your support! I am learning how terrible the mental health system is for kids. There is no inpatient therapy unless you are a harm to yourself or others ( damaging property doesn't count or being verbally aggressive). I contacted over thirty psychiatrists this morning only to be told they don't see kids, aren't taking new clients, or can't see him for weeks. Forget about child guidance centers. You can't even see their psychiatrists for months!!! I finally found a psychiatrist this afternoon and scheduled an appointment for three weeks from now. He is in crisis daily and requires immediate intervention (most likely with medicine). I am hoping we can get through each day until that appointment. He suffers from severe anxiety which quickly turns into aggression. He is unable to calm himself. Sadly, his internal system is somehow messed up and the part out has lost his support team internally. He never had to have control of the body this long and he is frustrated and depressed.
It is so sad. I want help for him and hope the mental health professionals I take him to will be of assistance. Time will tell.
Thanks again.
06-10-2013, 10:27 PM
Find Reply
Reilly Offline

Doing okay  RE: Finding a new therapist
This afternoon I received a telephone call from a psychiatric nurse's office saying they have a cancelation for tomorrow. I quickly accepted the appointment. I have enormous respect for nurses and my son and I have had positive experiences with them in the past. She provides therapy for teens and can prescribe meds if needed. She accepts our insurance and her office is close by. I am hoping it works out!!!!!!
06-11-2013, 08:45 PM
Find Reply
nats Offline
here and there..

(06-11-2013, 08:45 PM)Reilly Wrote: This afternoon I received a telephone call from a psychiatric nurse's office saying they have a cancelation for tomorrow. I quickly accepted the appointment. I have enormous respect for nurses and my son and I have had positive experiences with them in the past. She provides therapy for teens and can prescribe meds if needed. She accepts our insurance and her office is close by. I am hoping it works out!!!!!!

This sounds really promising. Hoping for you!!!
Blush Learn how to manage conflict, because the greater the level you can tolerate, the more freedom you will retain - E. Walsh Smile
06-12-2013, 10:06 AM
Find Reply
Reilly Offline

Happy  RE: Finding a new therapist
Hi Nats.
We went this afternoon and the nurse was incredibly positive and kind. She completely understood my son's anxiety, OCD, and depression and felt medication would help. He was pleasantly surprised that he liked her and agreed to start meds. Sadly the insurance company denied the prescription but tomorrow I will speak to the nurse and see what can be done to get it approved. She will manage his meds and she referred us to a colleague for therapy. It was nice to speak with a professional who treated my son with dignity and respect and didn't tell him that DID is rare. It was a good experience!
06-12-2013, 09:41 PM
Find Reply
MakersDozn Offline
MM Oldtimer

Reilly,

Glad that you and your son had a positive experience with the nurse. Hoping that she can get the Rx approved, and that the therapist helps.

MDs
06-15-2013, 05:17 PM
Website Find Reply
Reilly Offline

Feedback  RE: Finding a new therapist
Hi MD's.
His medicine was approved (pharmacy error) and he started the meds two days ago. He is tired and a bit nauseated but that should work itself out in time. Once stabilized he will begin therapy. I am hoping this time therapy will be a positive experience.
Thanks for your support!
06-15-2013, 07:18 PM
Find Reply
Cammy Offline

Threads: 98
So good to hear that things are moving in a positive forward direction for a change. Thank goodness for that.
Heart
Disclaimer: Any words or phrases used in our posts are meant in a completely respectful manner. Please know that we always endeavour to be kind and supportive.
(This post was last modified: 06-15-2013, 09:22 PM by Cammy.)
06-15-2013, 09:21 PM
Find Reply
nats Offline
here and there..

(06-15-2013, 07:18 PM)Reilly Wrote: Hi MD's.
His medicine was approved (pharmacy error) and he started the meds two days ago. He is tired and a bit nauseated but that should work itself out in time. Once stabilized he will begin therapy. I am hoping this time therapy will be a positive experience.
Thanks for your support!

great news!
06-16-2013, 06:05 AM
Find Reply
MakersDozn Offline
MM Oldtimer

(06-15-2013, 07:18 PM)Reilly Wrote: Hi MD's.
Thanks for your support!

Glad to hear that the meds were approved. Hoping your son feels better soon, and that the therapy does end up being positive.

MDs
06-22-2013, 08:13 PM
Website Find Reply
finlyalive Offline

Threads: 6
Such excellent news that your son is finally receiving some much needed help. I know how frustrated you must feel. Experience tells me how frustrated he must feel. It is so wonderful to hear such good news.
Fin

Only as high as I reach, can I grow.
Only as far as I seek, can I go.
Only as deep as I look, can I see.
Only as much as I dream, can I be.
--Karen Ravn
06-27-2013, 10:23 PM
Find Reply
Reilly Offline

Feedback  RE: Finding a new therapist
Hi Finlyalive.
Thanks for the good wishes.
This psychiatric nurse is truly wonderful. She is respectful of his feelings and actually listens to his concerns (rare I know). She is positive and makes my son feel hopeful that his anxiety can be managed. We were just there a few days ago and she recommended a therapist for him. Because he likes this nurse he is trusting her referral and is open to getting help. Hopefully this therapist will hang in there with him and not make lame excuses like "this is beyond the scope of my practice" just because he has parts. Time will tell.
Thanks again!
06-28-2013, 11:02 PM
Find Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Therapist Is Leaving Shadows 25 15,672 08-14-2017, 03:09 AM
Last Post: nats
  New therapist! FreyasSpirit 1 2,586 04-14-2016, 03:25 AM
  How to Find the Right Therapist iylahsek 5 4,315 05-25-2014, 02:37 AM
Doing okay new therapist Reilly 11 7,882 08-17-2013, 08:04 PM