Morals versus the economy
The People Offline
Long Time Member Who grew Up Here

Threads: 1,021
Other/All/Unsure   Morals versus the economy
I don't know if other people struggle with this but for me it is a growing issue. Probably because I have less money to play with than I did. Rephrase, I have to be more careful than ever with my income. However, I have strong personal issues with things like shopping at Wal Mart, a store that is trying to run the world while treating their employees (especially females) like crap. I don't know if PJs Pets is a Canadian or American company but they made this big issue before Christmas about no longer carrying animals. As their dogs were puppy mill dogs I actually wrote and applauded this. (my friend bought one and he lasted just over a week before his liver gave out) The stores in my city then disappeared and were replaced by a chain with a new name. When I was at my vet's a month ago I learned that the CEO of PJs simply bought out the store, changed the name and has gone back to buying pets from the same breeders as he did under the old name. I won't be getting new pets soon as N&M are fine and despite Two's predictions we have not come into enough money to get a bigger place that will hold a dog. However, we used to get our food there and under the circumstances we refuse to do so.

On a larger scale is the oil industry. There is a lot of fighting about Alberta oil being dirty and the fact that they want to build new pipelines across the beautiful province of BC, upsetting the green way of life that is there. (Although not as much as one might think as a Canadian)

Lately there was the explosion in Bangladesh. Companies are blaming the building owners but if I am running a multimillion dollar business would I not stop by once in a while to check things over? Joe Fresh clothes were made in that building. They have made a point that they are only one of the 2 companies that have come forward about the issue while there were 10 companies in all that were doing business there. The stores that carry Joe Fresh really had no choice as the label was flashed on the news when the story exploded along with the building that killed many.

Child labour runs rampant in China and India...

Where does one stop? I have looked into buying next to new recently but find that difficult as I never find things that both suit and fit me.

So how does one choose between their morals and their budget. On a small level I cannot afford to shop in the big stores where the clothing is probably made someplace disgusting anyway. Clothes that I know are made in Canada (One Tooth yoga for example) has to high a price and are actually made for long and lean. How do I decide?

On a larger scale oil runs Alberta. As a result of the drop in oil prioces in the spring and a gangsta for a Premier budgets have been cut to the bone. While I support the keeping of the green I also shudder at the job losses and other things that have happened because our government relies on money from such projects in order to feed and employ the people of the province. And Allison's sister needs a new pair of shoes (Allison is our Premier; long story)

Does anyone else get caught up in these moral dilemmas? Some are easy to resolve. No pet food from this new chain and I don't miss anything by not shopping at Wal Mart. Living alone with only internal children to contend with I don't have to worry about where I can dress them for school without spending too much money. However, I do have to dress myself and most of what I can afford comes from countries where I disapprove of their work ethics. Learning to sew my own clothing is not an option as would be attested to ny my Jr high Home Economics teachers.

Long post. Brain is on overdrive today. oh look! Shiny things! Oh look! More coffee!Coffee
I Am My Only Chance For A Hero!
06-01-2013, 01:26 PM
Find Reply
nats Offline
here and there..

Threads: 89
RE: Morals versus the economy
our perspective is somewhat different on this in knowing people who have worked in sweatshop conditions and that despite the unacceptable labour practices the income made a big difference to their families. there is no easy answer. child labour is still a necessity in many countries, horrible though that may sound. my concern is that as a priority the abuse is reduced and working conditions are improved. this won't happen unless international attention and action is focussed on these companies. we as individuals not buying these products is unlikely to make enough difference.
Blush Learn how to manage conflict, because the greater the level you can tolerate, the more freedom you will retain - E. Walsh Smile
06-02-2013, 07:39 AM
Find Reply
The People Offline

I have thought of that too. The reason companies can pay such cheap wages in because people are desperate for work. Pocket change for me would feed a family there (well it would have when I was working).
I Am My Only Chance For A Hero!
06-05-2013, 10:18 PM
Find Reply
nats Offline
here and there..

things are changing a lot globally. life choices that used to work don't anymore at the same time that new opportunities and threats are caused by globalised institutions. it's not all good or bad, which makes it harder to pass meaningful judgement on many things.
Blush Learn how to manage conflict, because the greater the level you can tolerate, the more freedom you will retain - E. Walsh Smile
06-07-2013, 10:07 AM
Find Reply
Tangled Web Offline

Threads: 169
I agree nats
TW
"You may not remember what someone says or does, but you will never forget how they made you feel" Mac Anderson.
06-08-2013, 10:03 AM
Find Reply
Cammy Offline

Threads: 98
It's a big world out there with multiple problems and mega-complex economic issues. We all have to follow our own consciences about the choices we make in these areas, but reality is the problem is bigger than anyone of us can even begin to imagine. Depressingly, we are pretty much impotent to make much of a difference. Yep - reality sucks big time.
Heart
Disclaimer: Any words or phrases used in our posts are meant in a completely respectful manner. Please know that we always endeavour to be kind and supportive.
(This post was last modified: 06-14-2013, 01:46 AM by Cammy.)
06-14-2013, 01:44 AM
Find Reply
nats Offline
here and there..

(06-14-2013, 01:44 AM)Igraine Wrote: ...Depressingly, we are pretty much impotent to make much of a difference. Yep - reality sucks big time.

well, our choices may not always make a big difference to others but they do make a difference to us. if we feel good about our choices we feel better about us.
06-15-2013, 09:01 AM
Find Reply
Cammy Offline

Threads: 98
Absolutely agree. If we follow our own conscience, then at least that IS something we have control over.
Heart
Disclaimer: Any words or phrases used in our posts are meant in a completely respectful manner. Please know that we always endeavour to be kind and supportive.
06-15-2013, 09:13 PM
Find Reply
The People Offline

Friendship/Support  Thanks for sharing your thoughts
I guess the answer is to follow your conscience as far as the rope will stretch. I do not judge others for making choices that are different from mine (immoral and illegal excluded) No 2 people think alike.
06-22-2013, 03:35 AM
Find Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
May trigger Values versus finances The People 6 3,397 02-29-2020, 12:48 AM
Last Post: The People