Messages In This Thread
RE: Scared, Skeptical, and have no idea - Elizabethn - 05-26-2013, 08:44 PM
Scared, Skeptical, and have no idea
Elizabethn Offline
Read Only

Threads: 13
RE: Scared, Skeptical, and have no idea
I have avoided responding to this thread for a while. Every time I come back and read it again, my gut and teeth clench and I have to swallow a very harsh response (directed at the OP's t's description of someone else talking as a "breakthrough"). That word and the attitude it conveys makes my skin crawl and leads me to wonder what on earth she has been reading about dissociation and what kind of professional supervision and instruction she has been getting. There is SO much wrong with that description that I want to just rant and rant about it, from the perspective of long term client and counselor-in-training.

So, let me try to structure my ranting thoughts as gently as possible, k? And keep in mind that it comes from a "ranting" perspective and take it with grains of salt when it gets intense.

1. Being many, or being dissociative, IS NOT A DISEASE/SICKNESS/DISORDER. We who are this way are only "disordered" insofar as life is not working well for us. There is no blueprint for treatment that applies to all.

2. YOU, the client, get to decide treatment goals. Nobody else.

3. It's oh, so easy to decide that something that varies in our heads from some idea of "reality" makes us sick, crazy, disabled. Too many t's buy into that. Back up and look at your life. How are you functioning REALLY? Are you living on your own? Responsible for yourself? What brought you into therapy? Was that thing that sent you to T "crazier" that what the therapist thinks is "crazy" about you? Compare and contrast. If the therapist says you are "crazier" than you know yourself to be, that's a big yellow flag.

4. Too many t's get overinvolved in the "exoticness"of our "condition." That is f*ck*d up and a major red flag. T's are responsible for finding our functionality, supporting it and building on what is working in our lives. If your t isn't doing that, RUN.

Okay, I'm stopping now.
05-26-2013, 08:44 PM
Find Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Scared, Skeptical, and have no idea - Elizabethn - 05-26-2013, 08:44 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Interesting journalling idea The People 2 2,428 01-08-2015, 01:43 AM
Last Post: orek