coping skills
Reilly Offline

Threads: 32
Caution  coping skills
Hi Everyone.
Can anyone offer suggestions on dealing with flashbacks? How were you able to convince yourselves to see the reality of your surroundings? Is there anything specific I can do for my son when he experiences flashbacks?
Thanks for your help!
10-19-2012, 07:36 PM
Find Reply
Tangled Web Offline

Threads: 169
RE: coping skills
There are lists of grounding techniques in the help section of this site. I have some inside that I cant get to see how things are but when things get that way (flashbacks) and I am around I hold ice cubes in my hands to help ground me, usually it will work, sometimes it doesn't. I wish I had better answers for ya.
Emma
"You may not remember what someone says or does, but you will never forget how they made you feel" Mac Anderson.
10-22-2012, 08:22 PM
Find Reply
Emma19 Offline

Threads: 3
May trigger  RE: coping skills
Hi Reilly,
For us, I think it depends on where we are when the flashback happens..... But 2 things that comes to mind are. One is to drink ice cold water which I am never without. To me it feels real and fresh and clean,which helps me refocus. I have learned that sometimes my eyes are closed when I realize I am in another place and flashback state. So we try to open my eyes and look at our current surroundings.if part of my surroundings are what triggered the flashback ,we try to see something different in the present than was in this picture in the past..
One thing that I have deliberately done in my life to help specifically with flashbacks is that I always wear this special ring on my right hand. It was given to me by the safest person in my life. It was hers and it has our safe color stone. So we have made that ring something safe to touch and look at and know where it comes from. And that We did not have this ring when we were little.this ring is in our present life....... This ring has helped us many times.my wedding rings also were not present when we were little. So these rings are with us always which is good cuz you never know where u are gonna be when a flashback is triggered.
Emma of TW, I like your ice cube idea. And Reilly I hope these couple things help give you some ideas to help your son during these difficult times. maybe he could keep a safe item from a safe person in his pocket .We know finding steady ground is hard. Good luck. Take care, Emma19
(This post was last modified: 10-22-2012, 10:09 PM by Emma19.)
10-22-2012, 10:03 PM
Find Reply
Reilly Offline

Threads: 32
Feedback  RE: coping skills
Thanks for your suggestions! I really like the idea of having a new object.
Definitely will give it a try.
Thanks again.
10-23-2012, 07:40 PM
Find Reply
Emma19 Offline

Threads: 3
Friendship/Support  RE: coping skills
Reilly, I would love to know how that goes for your son,if you feel like sharing. Good luck.sending your son positive relaxing thoughts. And you to Reilly . Take care,Emma 19
10-23-2012, 09:06 PM
Find Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Coping with Social Anxiety The People 3 3,888 12-21-2018, 10:32 PM
Last Post: Cammy
Other/All/Unsure Different ways of coping The People 4 3,255 12-17-2018, 12:12 AM
Last Post: The People