The Landlord Speaketh
tweeter Offline

Threads: 24
Just talking  The Landlord Speaketh
Let me begin by saying that I don't have a carbon monoxide thingie on my ceiling (studio apt.), and I've never heard of these charges being passed on to the tenant. The date on the document is 8/16/12, but tenants didn't get it in mailbox until the end of this week, Friday. Lastly, this is the best example of LL doubletalk I've ever read.

Anyone else have landlord stories?

THE NEW YORK CITY COUNCIL RECENTLY ADOPTED LOCAL LAW 75 OF 2011.
THIS LAW AMENDS LOCAL LAW #7 of 2004, WHICH REQUIRED THE
INSTALLATION OF A "CARBON MONOXIDE ALARM" IN EACH APARTMENT IN A BUILDING WHERE "FOSSIL FUELS" ARE BURNED (SUCH AS BOILERS, GAS STOVES AND HOT WATER HEATERS). TH!S NEW LAW NOW REQUIRES THAT A REPLACEMENT ALARM BE INSTALLED PRIOR TO THE EXPIRATION OF THE USEFUL LIFE OF THE ALARM AND SINCE MOST OF THE ALARMS ORIGINALLY INSTALLED ARE PAST THEIR USEFUL LIFE, A DEADLINE FOR INSTALLATION OF OCTOBER 2012 HAS BEEN SET FOR THE FIRST REPLACEMENT.

ONE ALARM MUST BE INSTALLED WITHIN 15 FEET OF THE ENTRANCE TO EACH ROOM THAT MAYBE USED FOR SLEEPING PURPOSES.

THE SUPER WILL BE CONTACTING YOU TO ARRANGE INSTALLATION OF THEM.

THE COST OF THESE COMBINED DEVICES WHICH IS REIMBURSABLE
PURSUANT TO NEW YORK CITY, DEPARTMENT OF HPD IS $35.00.
YOU SHALL BE BILLED ACCORDINGLY.

WE APPRECIATE YOUR COOPERATION.

8/16/12
"Even the very emptiest of the emptiest
Has a false bottom, a false bottom."
09-28-2012, 11:06 AM
Find Reply
MakersDozn Offline
MM Oldtimer

Threads: 186
Friendship/Support  RE: The Landlord Speaketh
Good grief.

Bloomy should pay for CO alarms for everyone in the city out of his personal bank account.

Laura and others
09-28-2012, 01:48 PM
Website Find Reply
tweeter Offline

RE: The Landlord Speaketh
(09-28-2012, 01:48 PM)MakersDozn Wrote: Good grief.

Bloomy should pay for CO alarms for everyone in the city out of his personal bank account.

Laura and others

You bet!
I called HPD (311). Tenant is responsible for charges in NYC, and must test devices. I can't stand on a ladder, and ceiling is like 10 feet high. I can ask LL to do it; if no cooperation (why should there be?), I can contact HPD, who will in turn fill out a req. for Dept of Aging and get someone over here to push the xxxxxx button. No way I'm gonna test this thing, as suggested, every month.

I've lived in many areas of US and never had to be concerned with building maintenance or fees associated with it. My electric bill here is ridiculous (more spent on fees and taxes than on fee for electricity itself). And, And, And..... I'm looking like the March Hare in Johnny Depp's Alice In Wonderland. The tea party scene is a rip.
09-28-2012, 02:23 PM
Find Reply
MakersDozn Offline
MM Oldtimer

Threads: 186
Just talking  RE: The Landlord Speaketh
311 was actually very helpful to us when we reported what we call "The Ice-Cream Incident." We had ordered a cone from a Haagen-Dazs stand at Penn and, when we handed our money to the [insert derisive term here] server, he dropped a quarter into the ice-cream barrel, picked it out, and didn't clean away the dirtied ice cream. [Image: yuck.gif]

We complained to him, and he did nothing. We complained to his co-worker, and she did nothing. We complained to the pizza guy who shared the store space, and he said that there was no manager on duty. WTF?

So we called 311. The woman we spoke to was very helpful and even followed up on her promise to email us a confirmation that the complaint had been processed.

Noo Yawk. Gotta love it. Sometimes.

Laura and others
09-28-2012, 04:55 PM
Website Find Reply
tweeter Offline

(09-28-2012, 04:55 PM)MakersDozn Wrote: 311 was actually very helpful to us when we reported what we call "The Ice-Cream Incident." We had ordered a cone from a Haagen-Dazs stand at Penn and, when we handed our money to the [insert derisive term here] server, he dropped a quarter into the ice-cream barrel, picked it out, and didn't clean away the dirtied ice cream. [Image: yuck.gif]

We complained to him, and he did nothing. We complained to his co-worker, and she did nothing. We complained to the pizza guy who shared the store space, and he said that there was no manager on duty. WTF?

So we called 311. The woman we spoke to was very helpful and even followed up on her promise to email us a confirmation that the complaint had been processed.

Noo Yawk. Gotta love it. Sometimes.

Laura and others

This was my first encounter with 311, and I was pleased.
A 25 cent piece in an ice cream barrel........um there's a song in there, something along the lines of the "Three coins in a fountain...." classic.
Yup, looks like tweeter is molting more than feathers, LOL.
09-28-2012, 09:03 PM
Find Reply
nats Offline
here and there..

Threads: 89
Question  RE: The Landlord Speaketh
what's 311? is it like 411 for information?
Blush Learn how to manage conflict, because the greater the level you can tolerate, the more freedom you will retain - E. Walsh Smile
09-29-2012, 02:31 PM
Find Reply
tweeter Offline

(09-29-2012, 02:31 PM)nats Wrote: what's 311? is it like 411 for information?

Not really, though I had wondered that myself. 411 will get you connected to phone service assistance for, let's say, finding out another person's phone number as listed in the local phone book for that year.

311 will send the caller to a real govt. agency: The NYC Dept. of Housing Preservation and Development. I called to find out my rights and responsibilities as a tenant. It is also possible to file a complaint against a landlord via this agency.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/hpd/html/home/home.shtml

http://www.nyc.gov/html/hpd/html/about/message.shtml
09-30-2012, 01:14 AM
Find Reply
nats Offline
here and there..

Threads: 89
Ah, ok. Sounds useful. Not heard of it before, thanks!
Blush Learn how to manage conflict, because the greater the level you can tolerate, the more freedom you will retain - E. Walsh Smile
09-30-2012, 03:10 PM
Find Reply