Whats new with us
Tangled Web Offline

Threads: 169
Just talking  Whats new with us
Well I have been extremely busy lately working. The place that I work have been extremely short staffed and I have tried to help pick up the slack. It have left me exhausted in every sense of the word! Being a nurse and working just your normal scheduled hours is tiring and it seems to be a thankless job at times. I have started to feel the pressure and the weight of everything fall on my shoulders for the unit I am working and have started to lose my patience. (not with the residents I work with) but with management and the staff. To me it feels the more I do the more that is expected of me and when I speak up and tell them what I think I hear the tone in their voice change. They are very willing and able to hear the good stuff but good forbid you have a complaint. So I have been feeling a little overwhelmed and tired of carrying the unit all by myself and doing the problem solving by myself. Any ways........this week is almost over and then I will have the weekend off to rejuevinate some of my energy and remind myself why I love my job because right now I must admit I am not liking it much!

How is everyone else's week going?
"You may not remember what someone says or does, but you will never forget how they made you feel" Mac Anderson.
08-28-2012, 01:39 PM
Find Reply
nats Offline
here and there..

Threads: 89
Friendship/Support  RE: Whats new with us
hi TW, it's a tough position to be in. in my work we have those we call 'martyrs' - they take the weight of the group on their shoulders and can always be relied on to say yes to more work so long as it is 'for the greater good.' they are extremely useful for managers while it lasts but they invariably either burn out and quit or learn to prioritise their career path and say no to anything not on it. definitely hope you are not finding yourself in this martyrs position.
Blush Learn how to manage conflict, because the greater the level you can tolerate, the more freedom you will retain - E. Walsh Smile
08-28-2012, 03:24 PM
Find Reply
Tangled Web Offline

RE: Whats new with us
I don't believe I am in the martyrs position. I do say no on occassion when I feel like I have nothing left give or if I have had a hard week. I think I am a preyty good judge at what I can handle and what I can't most days. One of the reasons I took today off and didn't go into work today. Finding the balance and priortising can be a struggle at times but taking the hours while their available has it benefits also. Any ways.......... how are you doing?
"You may not remember what someone says or does, but you will never forget how they made you feel" Mac Anderson.
08-28-2012, 07:11 PM
Find Reply
nats Offline
here and there..

Threads: 89
(08-28-2012, 07:11 PM)Tangled Web Wrote: I don't believe I am in the martyrs position.

very glad to hear it. it's tough to avoid sometimes. hang in there. we're doing alright and trying to get at least the minimums done Blush
Blush Learn how to manage conflict, because the greater the level you can tolerate, the more freedom you will retain - E. Walsh Smile
08-29-2012, 04:10 PM
Find Reply
Tangled Web Offline

Well I hope you hang in there also. Sometimes it is all we can do is get the minimum done!
08-29-2012, 08:17 PM
Find Reply
MakersDozn Offline
MM Oldtimer

Threads: 186
Friendship/Support  RE: Whats new with us
TW,

Sorry that you're feeling overworked and unsupported. Hoping that you have a chance to rest during this holiday weekend.

We can understand some aspects of what you're going through. In our case, management says that they'll address the problems, but they do little or nothing to make things better.

Have a relaxing Labo(u)r Day.

MDs
09-02-2012, 05:35 PM
Website Find Reply
Tangled Web Offline

Thanks MDs. I did have fun this weekend but am working tomorrow which is Labour Day but at least I will be making time and half. Hope you have a good relaxing weekend holiday also.
09-02-2012, 08:40 PM
Find Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question whats up ? Marley 5 3,751 03-16-2015, 01:05 AM
Last Post: The People