Internal family systems theory?
weberr13 Offline

Threads: 2
Internal family systems theory?
When I first started therapy I was unaware of my alters, I was just "moody" and it was causing increasing issues with my family and my anorexia was getting worse again. I initially wanted EMDR but after doing it once my T got very worried about how it basically was hypnotizing me into a dissociative state. She instead started doing this "internal family systems theory" stuff where she talked about these "parts" of me. Some of them were managers, some were "firefighters" and others were "exiles". She presented it to me as something that works for lots of people with eating disorders, but I honestly think she knew after that first EMDR that DID was really the issue. Since then one of my alters took over in front of someone other than my close family and when they confronted me about it all the pieces fell into place (and I completely came unhinged, but that is another story). Has anyone else had a T talk about this theory? The terminology is slightly different but the concepts seem to fit DID. I'm not advocating it or saying it is bad, but it strikes me as interesting and I wanted to talk about it.
--
In war, the foolish see two sides
the wise see three
the enlightened see one
07-20-2012, 06:54 PM
Find Reply
Anthology Offline

Just talking  RE: Internal family systems theory?
Hey,

I have some familiarity with Internal Family Systems theory. I actually first learned the language through a treatment center and then kind of adapted it for me and my system afterwards. My therapist is IFS trained (well, and a lot of other things trained too) but it's one of the theories that we as a system really connect with and we've used many of the concepts (in our own way of course) in ways that have been very helpful.

I've also done some research on it as well as a good deal of reading. It's not for everyone and can be very different depending on who the therapist is, but it's been helpful for us and for some other people that we know (both those with DID and those without).

And, I don't believe that we've met you. I'm Anna and we're the Anthology System. Welcome to mosaic minds Weberr13.
Anthology
07-21-2012, 05:22 PM
Find Reply
weberr13 Offline

RE: Internal family systems theory?
Yeah, we haven't met Anthology, I'm brand new and trying to find others that I can talk to about where I'm at. I'm very nervous about this and there are parts of me that are quite concerned for their own reasons about joining another forum. Still, I appreciate that you replied and I'm glad to hear others have good experience with IFS.
--
In war, the foolish see two sides
the wise see three
the enlightened see one
07-22-2012, 02:15 AM
Find Reply
orek Offline

Threads: 12
I'm new/Introduction  RE: Internal family systems theory?
Has anyone else had a T talk about this theory? The terminology is slightly different but the concepts seem to fit DID. I'm not advocating it or saying it is bad, but it strikes me as interesting and I wanted to talk about it.
[/quote]

Hi, weber13, nice to meet you all.

You know, I know we've been familiar with this in the past, read about it, maybe even had a T that worked with it. We work this way: a group functions as the "upfronters" who present to the world. Others came blend in to help, or step in front of them to front. But they present as the "I" to the world, and the group of upfronters can change, which has been happening frequently of late. So past upfronters were really into reading all about psychology stuff, esp. the stuff we struggle with, like the DID and ED stuff before. It helped them feel validated and less crazy. But this current group was not the ones doing all that reading, so we can't recall what they had learned about IFS. So sorry to say we can't chat intelligently about it. I would say that, if you find it helps, and your T and you work well together, then it's a good thing, for sure. Whatever helps you and your T access insiders and work toward healing is valid!

We look forward to getting to know you better. Please feel free to post more about this topic as you learn more. It's very interesting!--orek
07-28-2012, 11:38 PM
Find Reply
mosaic Offline
just another one of us

Threads: 131
(07-20-2012, 06:54 PM)weberr13 Wrote: When I first started therapy I was unaware of my alters, I was just "moody" and it was causing increasing issues with my family and my anorexia was getting worse again. I initially wanted EMDR but after doing it once my T got very worried about how it basically was hypnotizing me into a dissociative state. She instead started doing this "internal family systems theory" stuff where she talked about these "parts" of me. Some of them were managers, some were "firefighters" and others were "exiles". She presented it to me as something that works for lots of people with eating disorders, but I honestly think she knew after that first EMDR that DID was really the issue. Since then one of my alters took over in front of someone other than my close family and when they confronted me about it all the pieces fell into place (and I completely came unhinged, but that is another story). Has anyone else had a T talk about this theory? The terminology is slightly different but the concepts seem to fit DID. I'm not advocating it or saying it is bad, but it strikes me as interesting and I wanted to talk about it.

we have heard of it - in fact we've read the book. (it has been a few years since we read it) it is interesting.
07-30-2012, 08:56 AM
Find Reply
The People Offline
Long Time Member Who grew Up Here

Threads: 1,021
(07-30-2012, 08:56 AM)mosaic Wrote:
(07-20-2012, 06:54 PM)weberr13 Wrote: When I first started therapy I was unaware of my alters, I was just "moody" and it was causing increasing issues with my family and my anorexia was getting worse again. I initially wanted EMDR but after doing it once my T got very worried about how it basically was hypnotizing me into a dissociative state. She instead started doing this "internal family systems theory" stuff where she talked about these "parts" of me. Some of them were managers, some were "firefighters" and others were "exiles". She presented it to me as something that works for lots of people with eating disorders, but I honestly think she knew after that first EMDR that DID was really the issue. Since then one of my alters took over in front of someone other than my close family and when they confronted me about it all the pieces fell into place (and I completely came unhinged, but that is another story). Has anyone else had a T talk about this theory? The terminology is slightly different but the concepts seem to fit DID. I'm not advocating it or saying it is bad, but it strikes me as interesting and I wanted to talk about it.

we have heard of it - in fact we've read the book. (it has been a few years since we read it) it is interesting.
I Am My Only Chance For A Hero!
08-26-2012, 10:41 PM
Find Reply
elizabeth Offline

Threads: 1
My T is IFS trained and we use it a lot. I have friends who practice it (as T's) and have read quite a bit about it. Basically, it is a nonpathologizing way to acknowledge that we all (DID or not) have parts in us. For those with DID, the parts are much more separate and often feel as other. In trauma it is thought thta layers develop to protect what are called exiles (parts who took the pain). There are firefighters, who basically use anything at hand to stop the exile from pain. Their ways may seem odd (such as SI to stop a part from feeling more pain from others). They are most likely to cause the extreme reactions. The managers kind of take care of everyday life. Part of the IFS treatment is getting the self (which is good, whole and compassionate) to relate to parts and create a loving environment to those who hurt. It is not an easy and often not fast process for those who have been traumatized. I find it very helpful.
09-10-2012, 02:57 AM
Find Reply
Tangled Web Offline

Threads: 169
that actually sounds really cool! I think I would like to research that.
"You may not remember what someone says or does, but you will never forget how they made you feel" Mac Anderson.
09-10-2012, 07:48 PM
Find Reply
elizabeth Offline

Threads: 1
It is really a great therapy. My T uses it in conjunction wiht other things but mostly IFS. It has helped a lot. I love thta it is nonpathologizing. Also the t's tend to be more human and for me, that is really helpful.
09-18-2012, 02:48 AM
Find Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question No internal space?? Blue 18 13,521 05-08-2015, 06:37 PM
Last Post: The People
Scared Internal battle over therapy 57thomas 6 5,843 04-29-2015, 06:33 AM
Last Post: cew
Other/All/Unsure Internal Communication (or Lack Thereof) MakersDozn 3 3,440 07-26-2014, 11:10 AM
Last Post: MakersDozn
  Internal battle canucklady1971 3 3,029 06-24-2014, 02:41 PM
Last Post: nats
Other/All/Unsure Letter to family The People 2 2,437 01-12-2014, 10:18 PM
Last Post: MakersDozn