Why oh why is it so hard to find
dreamers Offline

Threads: 104
Angry  Why oh why is it so hard to find
A psychodynamic therapist? Attention world CBT and behavior approaches in general do f-all for us. Why is this so hard to find? So frustrating. Oh and we need a guy because we used to tell our brother everything guys just feel safer to talk to. Still shouldn’t be this fing hard
Favorite Quotes:" I didn't mean to be brave. It happened when I panicked"
-Piglet ( Winnie the Pooh)

" the Only difference between Bravery and stupidity is the context"
-unknown
(This post was last modified: 10-07-2019, 07:10 PM by dreamers.)
10-07-2019, 05:24 PM
Find Reply
The People Offline
Long Time Member Who grew Up Here

Threads: 1,021
RE: Why oh why is it so hard to find
Here in Alberta we have a place we can call and tell them what we are looking for. They give you 3 names and in none of them work out you can go back and get 3 more. Is there something like this where you are located?
I Am My Only Chance For A Hero!
10-08-2019, 10:15 PM
Find Reply
dreamers Offline

Sorta but it’s through the moms insurance and insurance companies generally prefer behavioral approaches and most people think clients won’t really know the type of counseling they need like maybe they think the stereotypical picture of analysis is the only therapy option. So even on the APA website it looks like people just check boxes under type of therapy. Makes it annoying if you were a psychology major leaning towards an Erickson clinical approach and are actually looking for analysis. Someone inside just said we should tell them that we have to find an analyst for school... very tempting lol

-unknown
10-09-2019, 11:52 PM
Find Reply
The People Offline

It would be great if you found someone who has a diversity of skills. Like mine.
10-10-2019, 01:55 AM
Find Reply
dreamers Offline

Yeah I do wonder when their profile page has every option checked or when they say they do behavioral and psychological analysis since they are opposite ends of continuum. Just find it annoying if they won’t be honest on the phone and then end up trying to convince us that something will work that we know won’t

-unknown
10-10-2019, 05:32 AM
Find Reply
The People Offline

I think there is a list of questions to ask a T somewhere at the beginning of the site. You could modify them to suit you and try to interview them about their style, experience and give examples of issues you have that they might have suggestions for.

I once asked a T if she had DID experience. She said yes. Turns out that she had dissociative experience. 1 client. Didn't even know what boxes to check on the client.

Go with your gut if it is a 'no'. If you aren't sure I have heard that 6 sessions helps one make up their mind.
10-11-2019, 12:46 AM
Find Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
May trigger Hard to be the one on the sidelines. The People 2 2,317 01-24-2015, 05:41 PM
Last Post: The People
Doing okay T question. Hope you can find it. The People 4 3,962 08-08-2014, 08:24 PM
Last Post: MakersDozn
  How to Find the Right Therapist iylahsek 5 4,316 05-25-2014, 02:37 AM
Last Post: nats
Sad hard day Tangled Web 5 4,206 10-17-2013, 11:52 PM
Last Post: Tangled Web