Anybody seen the previews
The People Offline
Long Time Member Who grew Up Here

Threads: 1,021
Caution  Anybody seen the previews
to the movie called 'Split'. Yes it is about a man with DID and yes it is very scary looking and twists the condition. I highly recommend that people not go to it although it is your call. I can't even watch Criminal Minds without being triggered. Why do they have to do this? I guess a person with DID could have sociopathic selves but IRL I have heard of almost none.
I Am My Only Chance For A Hero!
01-18-2017, 03:29 AM
Find Reply
mosaic Offline
just another one of us

Threads: 131
RE: Anybody seen the previews
agree completely. i am really upset about the movie just from the trailers.
01-18-2017, 09:28 AM
Find Reply
Peaches Offline

Threads: 1
Yes, I will skip anything like that. I recently watched a few netflix series and the characters (murderers) had DID and/or DD. ? Was triggering for sure.
01-18-2017, 10:49 PM
Find Reply
The People Offline

Years ago there was a movie that negatively depicted people with a form of mental illness, A group of people Nova Scotia picketed 1 theatre and they actually pulled it. forget the movie name.
01-19-2017, 04:50 AM
Find Reply
Cammy Offline

Threads: 98
I was instantly angry when I saw the ads for "Split". I thought, "Here we go again, it's 'Three Faces of Eve' again, only worse".  I wish Hollywood would think about portraying DID in some real form. "Split" is going to make people fearful. I get SO angry when mental disorders are portrayed as serial killers and other murderous people - the facts do not support the hype. I believe it is a good thing that only a select few in our lives know about our condition. The monominds will be afraid of us after seeing this movie. OOOOO.... I am peeved!
Heart
Disclaimer: Any words or phrases used in our posts are meant in a completely respectful manner. Please know that we always endeavour to be kind and supportive.
01-23-2017, 06:47 AM
Find Reply
The People Offline

Yup! Sucks!
01-23-2017, 11:07 PM
Find Reply
Cammy Offline

I am so passionate about this movie that I am appearing on a podcast to be seen on You Tube that destigmatizes D.I.D. and other mental health disorders. I am SO stoked about this. I feel like I finally get to speak out for those who can't. I hope that this goes well. I will be discussing things like Hollywood portrayals and how they actually hurt people with mental illness issues. I hope the thing goes viral. Wish me luck.
Heart
Disclaimer: Any words or phrases used in our posts are meant in a completely respectful manner. Please know that we always endeavour to be kind and supportive.
01-26-2017, 11:47 PM
Find Reply
nats Offline
here and there..

Threads: 89
good for you! DM us the link if you want and we'll promote it.
Blush Learn how to manage conflict, because the greater the level you can tolerate, the more freedom you will retain - E. Walsh Smile
01-28-2017, 11:12 AM
Find Reply
Cammy Offline

Sure nats... I'll get the info and spread the news. Hey... then everyone can finally see the face behind these words..... COOL!
Heart
01-28-2017, 03:54 PM
Find Reply
VioletPeach Offline
Violet

Threads: 2
When I saw the preview at another movie it made me ill. I got home and actually sent a tweet to M. Knight Shalaman about how disrespectful and untruthful his movie was. I got a bunch of replies from his followers, and know it didn't make a dent, but it made me feel a little better. I was disgusted that he fell to this level. We do not deserve to be maligned in this manner. We have already endured lifetimes of abuse. Do your research before you portray an entire group of people as dangerous!

~Violet
Ta Tu Go Leor
02-03-2017, 11:54 PM
Find Reply
Cammy Offline

I agree with you Violet, but as we all know, Hollywood is about the money and nothing else. If that's the case, I hope this silly movie bombs. I just did a podcast to debunk the myths about DID and I did mention this movie specifically as being way off the mark, as well as "Three Faces of Eve". Both movies are not real DID and I made sure to point it out not only by my words, but by my comportment in front of the camera. I refuse to go see it as I will just leave half way through angry.
Heart
02-17-2017, 12:48 PM
Find Reply
dreamers Offline

Threads: 104
If you really want to affect it get signatures of people who agree to boycott any theater that runs it and show the signatures to theater managers. Just make sure the signatures are from people local enough that they could attend that theater. have each list a home or office addy on the form.
Favorite Quotes:" I didn't mean to be brave. It happened when I panicked"
-Piglet ( Winnie the Pooh)

" the Only difference between Bravery and stupidity is the context"
-unknown
03-22-2017, 01:30 PM
Find Reply