IBSR ?
Silent Society Offline

Threads: 26
IBSR ?
Has anyone here had any experience with IBSR? One of my new T's is suggesting I try this. Don't know if it works for multis.
08-04-2016, 06:27 PM
Find Reply
The People Offline
Long Time Member Who grew Up Here

Threads: 1,021
RE: IBSR ?
Haven't heard of acronym. Do you know full wording?
I Am My Only Chance For A Hero!
08-04-2016, 09:37 PM
Find Reply
Silent Society Offline

Integration Based Stress Removal. My T recommends it. I am skeptical but think I probably should not rule out something that can't hurt and may help.
Things have been difficult since my T died. It is hard getting used to working with new people. There was momentum with T. Things were moving forward. Memories were retrieved and the narrative is in place. Now things have ground to a halt again. I am sad and very angry.
EMDR was suggested in the past and everyone inside was very much against it. Think we are willing to think about this IBSR thing now because everyone is verging on desperate again and major frustration. But we are strong and will get to a better place. It has to be possible.
08-05-2016, 12:30 AM
Find Reply
The People Offline

Silent Society I am going to address two things separately here. First there is the loss of your T of many years. In many ways we find that a good T re-parents us while maintaining boundaries. So it is only natural to us that you are still grieving. Heck, we still grieve our kitties. They have both been gone for a year. I have heard/read that typical grieving process usually lasts 13 months. First birthday, first Christmas, anniversary of loss etc. So if I was your T I would not be pushing a client to do something that cuts the grief system short.

As for the integration based stress removal, did you ever consider integration prior to meeting this T? Honestly I have never heard of it so we cannot comment on whether it would work. We know other people who tried EMDR and found it to be helpful. There is no one solution for everyone. It is like saying you cannot come on MM unless you wear a purple shirt. Some people hate purple. Don't know why but it doesn't matter that it is one of my favourite colours.

Honestly though I think it is too soon in the grieving process to jump into something so major. Do you trust this T because last T referred you or do you trust her on your own part. I am not knocking her. I just think it is too soon. Integration to wipe out grief? What would you tell someone else about that? You are wise. Go with your gut. Not mine.
08-05-2016, 11:55 PM
Find Reply
Silent Society Offline

I appreciate your answer. Yes, I am still grieving T. I get that. In a manner of speaking, that grief, the loss will never go away. He was way to important. It has not been very long but the momentum that had been achieved with him has slowed. While I anticipated that, I am very frustrated about the passage of time and still not able to enter into life like I want to be able to do.
I regards to the therapy, I don't think their use of integration and the way in which we use it are the same. Believe there is a difference. I don't think the intent is to get rid of everybody, just to make the brain work better. Don't know for sure. Will think about what you have said.
Thanks People for your response.
08-06-2016, 01:21 PM
Find Reply
The People Offline

You are welcome. Maybe it is integrating the strong emotions? Whatever you decide I wish you well. I do hope the pain of your loss eases with time. Important losses never really go away for many people. What happens though is that the good memories have more time outside than the pain. I hope you reach that point soon. T relationships with a good, strong T has a lasting impact.
08-06-2016, 11:35 PM
Find Reply
Silent Society Offline

(08-06-2016, 11:35 PM)The People Wrote: You are welcome. Maybe it is integrating the strong emotions? Whatever you decide I wish you well. I do hope the pain of your loss eases with time. Important losses never really go away for many people. What happens though is that the good memories have more time outside than the pain. I hope you reach that point soon. T relationships with a good, strong T has a lasting impact.
10-02-2016, 12:18 PM
Find Reply
Silent Society Offline

Hi The People and anyone else who chooses to read this post. Just wanted to let you know about my experience with IBSR. It has had a profound impact on my daily existence. I am doing well. I have never been able to say that before. There is calm in my head a majority of the time. Very different from the majority of my life. The session that I had was very long, but extremely benign. There was minimal talking about life experiences other than rating the impact specific things that were bothering me had on my life.
The session was very strange because of the involuntary movements that occurred, but I was aware of my surroundings the entire time. I did not expect this treatment to work so this can't be a placebo effect. I am about 8 weeks our from the session that I had. I have been able to decrease my weekly therapy significantly and am now able to make decisions about what I need and where I need to go from here. I laugh a lot these days, something I never did before. Just wanted to let you know the outcome as you have always been so supportive of me.
10-02-2016, 12:24 PM
Find Reply
nats Offline
here and there..

Threads: 89
that is really impressive! i would not have expected such a change from any particular therapy. do you have any idea/feeling as to why it has worked so effectively? will you have more sessions?

we're really happy to hear you're feeling better!
Blush Learn how to manage conflict, because the greater the level you can tolerate, the more freedom you will retain - E. Walsh Smile
10-02-2016, 04:30 PM
Find Reply
The People Offline

Silent Society that is WONDERFUL! I am so glad for you. And it is like a last gift from your T who passed since he chose this one for you. I wish you a continued state of happiness.
10-02-2016, 09:58 PM
Find Reply