The hunt for a new psychiatrist
Elizabethn Offline
Read Only

Threads: 13
Other/All/Unsure   The hunt for a new psychiatrist
We had a conflicted relationship with a psychiatrist who was a genius with medications--would have fired him if he weren't so good at that stuff. Got nicely stabilized on a complicated cocktail, then got a life that made it just about impossible to see him any more, so he discharged us after having not seen us for a year.

That was, oh, maybe two or three years ago. You know how it goes with time.....

Anyhow, the meds are no longer working right and I'm well over 50% off the deep end. I've lost count of how many blankety-blank shrinks I've called,only to hear they don't take our insurance or are not accepting new patients, or they only do therapy AND meds, not just meds. Yeah, like I'm going to sever my 20-year t relationship for the sake of meds?

I finally resorted to calling down the Yellow Pages listings and FINALLY found one within a commutable distance who appears to take my insurance. Now I have to survive another three weeks to get in. It's end-semester crunch, life has been messed up by the "superstorm," I have brain zaps from hell, unending anxiety and frequent panic attacks, and Mr. EN is home recovering from surgery and is therefore very out of sorts with his own routine disrupted.

I. am. going. crazy.

And did I mention I know NOTHING about this shrink except his name and address? NOTHING. Going in completely blind here. Am I about to encounter another Medical Deity who thinks dissociative people are psychotic, have schizophrenia and/or are histrionic malingerers? AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA................
11-29-2012, 01:45 PM
Find Reply
mosaic Offline
just another one of us

Threads: 131
RE: The hunt for a new psychiatrist
yikes.

that is always the worst, having a shrink insist that anti-psychotics are the thing to do.

hoping for you that this doc will turn out to be someone you can work with.
11-29-2012, 02:00 PM
Find Reply
nats Offline
here and there..

Threads: 89
going in blind is hard, but at worst you'll find out if he's awful and can pursue the next lead. hopefully he'll be brilliant!
Blush Learn how to manage conflict, because the greater the level you can tolerate, the more freedom you will retain - E. Walsh Smile
11-29-2012, 03:58 PM
Find Reply
Elizabethn Offline
Read Only

Well that was dumb. I decided to look him up on Vitals and Healthgrades. The reviews are about equally divided between "*ssh*l*" and "brilliant." The complaints are all about feeling like it's a pill mill and that he has his very limited number of preferred drugs, gee all from one company, blah blah blah..... HOWEVER, I get the impression from the repetitiveness and writing style that it's a single person making multiple reviews and comments. Or so I tell myself. The "brilliant" comments are also repetitive sounding and rather "generic," which leads me to suspect that somebody is trying to manage his online reputation.

I can't find any curriculum vitae. What, the man has never written a paper or given a presentation or served on a committee??????

*figuratively tearing my hair*

I managed to make two other appointments with people who don't make me feel ANY better, actually worse if anything because they are people in big "program" type practices that offer a smorgasbord of services, but whose websites put a LOT of emphasis on the "special" interventions they do, like transcranial magnetic stimulation "in place of ECT" for depression and some kind of oh-so-miraculous cure for panic. The people on the phone wanted wayyyy too much information about what was bothering me IMNSHO, especially the magnet people regarding the nature and treatment history of my depression.

One appointment is a week after the first guy and the other one is the second week of January. If one doesn't work, I can try another one. SHUDDER.

I've had exactly ONE genuinely respectful psychiatrist in the 20 years I've been doing this. He was military and is now long gone from here, of course.

Second one was a first class *ssh*l* who INSISTED that THE treatment for DID was antipsychotics. Tried two, they fouled me up for months. I had long since noticed that he had whatever standard-of-care publication of the day on his bookshelf, which I KNEW included DID treatment recommendations, since I had read it, and that it said that in the absence of comorbid psychotic disorder, antipsychotics were contraindicated. I pointed at that book and DEMANDED that he take it down and READ IT. He didn't like that, of course. He was NOT getting me at ALL. Finally resorted to a lengthy diatribe of a letter he could read at his leisure. That helped some; at least he agreed to not insist on any more damned antipsychotics. He left due to a bad car accident and injuries and I was glad to be rid of him.

Saw a couple more in one time consultations and said NO WAY. Eventually landed with the most recent one via recommendation from my T. He at least communicated with my T and never ever tried to shove antipsychotics down my throat, even though he made clear that he thought I was psychotic because he "never saw any evidence" of dissociation. Well no sh*t buddy, you think I'm going to just flip a switch and parade everybody out front for your gratification? I've never been that way even in my worst times.

Anyhow, because T thought well of him and because he was creative with meds, I put up with his quirks and foibles. Then he didn't get paid fast enough to suit him during one of our many financial crises and turned *ssh*l*. I didn't leave him for that reason; it just got impossible to get clear across freaking New Jersey to see him on his limited schedule once I started school. I think he was glad for the chance to discharge me.

I went to the student mental health agency and got several names of shrinks over a year ago. The counselors there, with all of whom I'm fairly well acquainted just through encounters on campus, think the world of the guy who sees students on campus. So I called him. Nope, can't see him on campus (covered by insurance) unless I'm in therapy in the counseling center. His practice is cash only and the prices are just about the highest I encountered in my research. Yippee skippy. And so it went with the other people suggested from there. Must be nice to be effing rich.

Does anybody have any GOOD shrink stories to share? Give me something positive to think about, please?..........
11-30-2012, 11:58 AM
Find Reply
Reilly Offline

Threads: 32
Caution  RE: The hunt for a new psychiatrist
Hi Elizabethn.
Sorry you are experiencing such a struggle to find a competent psychiatrist. Finding therapists and doctors who actually understand DID is quite the challenge. Most believe this is made up or that you are psychotic. My son went to one therapist who thought my son and I had "shared psychosis!" That really ticked me off.
Just a couple of thoughts for you. Perhaps a neurologist that specializes in dissociative disorders may be able to prescribe the meds you need. You might try contacting the Colin Ross Institute and ask them for a referral.
Hope you find a caring professional. Let us know how it goes.
11-30-2012, 08:52 PM
Find Reply
MakersDozn Offline
MM Oldtimer

Threads: 186
Friendship/Support  RE: The hunt for a new psychiatrist
EN....hearing your frustration. We don't know of anyone, but we wanted to let you know that we're listening. Hoping you find someone soon.

Our best to Mr. EN too.

MDs
12-01-2012, 03:54 PM
Website Find Reply
Elizabethn Offline
Read Only

Reilly, I could go through Dr. Kluft's connections in Philadelphia if I had to, though I sure hope that won't be necessary.
12-01-2012, 09:50 PM
Find Reply
MakersDozn Offline
MM Oldtimer

(12-01-2012, 09:50 PM)Elizabethn Wrote: Reilly, I could go through Dr. Kluft's connections in Philadelphia if I had to, though I sure hope that won't be necessary.

You have connections to Kluft? Impressive.

Anyway....hoping you find someone soon, by whatever means is best for you.

MDs
12-03-2012, 07:13 PM
Website Find Reply
Elizabethn Offline
Read Only

I don't have any direct connections to Kluft, but I know how to find him and his ivory tower, and so could likely work my way through to someone in that vicinity. I'd rather not have to go to Philly if I can avoid it, though. It's expensive and annoying when it's not done for fun :-p. (Which reminds me that I haven't seen rebetha in forever and need to contact her....)
12-03-2012, 11:09 PM
Find Reply
Elizabethn Offline
Read Only

The appointment was today and I survived and so did the shrink :-p. He works in jeans and plain shirts, talks like a regular person, and his wife is an LPC. (They do not work together.) He suggested a dose change in one med, give that a month and then work on the next step. But I am free to call any time if the dose change does not agree in any way....Or to use email if I prefer. Glory be, a doc that corresponds by email?!

He's not quite clear on how my insurance works, so I'm not calling this a success until I know he's satisfied with the insurance issues. But it was a more positive than negative encounter.
12-20-2012, 09:15 PM
Find Reply
nats Offline
here and there..

Threads: 89
hooray!
Blush Learn how to manage conflict, because the greater the level you can tolerate, the more freedom you will retain - E. Walsh Smile
12-21-2012, 06:04 PM
Find Reply
MakersDozn Offline
MM Oldtimer

Friendship/Support  RE: The hunt for a new psychiatrist
EN,

Really great to hear. Crossing our collective fingers that it all works out.

MDs
12-25-2012, 06:31 PM
Website Find Reply
Cammy Offline

Threads: 98
(12-20-2012, 09:15 PM)Elizabethn Wrote: The appointment was today and I survived and so did the shrink :-p. He works in jeans and plain shirts, talks like a regular person, and his wife is an LPC. (They do not work together.) He suggested a dose change in one med, give that a month and then work on the next step. But I am free to call any time if the dose change does not agree in any way....Or to use email if I prefer. Glory be, a doc that corresponds by email?!

He's not quite clear on how my insurance works, so I'm not calling this a success until I know he's satisfied with the insurance issues. But it was a more positive than negative encounter.

My God, E, this guy at least sounds human and has both feet on the ground. I was always told that a good sign is a doc that will allow email correspondence. This could be a good start or at least a decent interim care taker. My psychiatrist doesn't believe that DID exists, so you know how that goes. I hope this works out for you.
Heart
Disclaimer: Any words or phrases used in our posts are meant in a completely respectful manner. Please know that we always endeavour to be kind and supportive.
03-09-2013, 11:16 PM
Find Reply
Peaches Offline

Threads: 1
I hope you got the help you needed. I've never had to take antipsychotics (thus far, at least) but I did really intense therapy with a social worker for two years (weekly) and I still see him monthly. Talking and writing help me the most. In my experience, social workers are much better at giving coping and integration strategies than psychologists who are very theoretical and psychs who like to prescribe.
12-08-2016, 10:18 PM
Find Reply