Has anyone tried Cymbalta?
The People Offline
Long Time Member Who grew Up Here

Threads: 1,021
Question  Has anyone tried Cymbalta?
My family doctor really wanted me to go on something so I agreed to give it another try if only to prove to et another doctor that meds don't work.\

Saw Pdoc yesterday. She stated that she would not bother trying SSRIs(?) or whatever the latest, greatest are as they don't work. She had two options. One says 'may cause weight gain' and if I look at pills with that warning I gain 20 pounds and cannot afford a new wardrobe or another blow to myself esteem.

I am on Cymbalta. Anyone try this?

I was so angry with myself yesterday when I started them. Got a new watch ($20 but looks cool) as a reward for going down this stupid path again. I did few more stupid things but would only be considered SI by a Pdoc.

God I am tired of this sh*t. It is like warming the bench for the worlds longest hockey game.
I Am My Only Chance For A Hero!
06-22-2016, 01:37 PM
Find Reply
mosaic Offline
just another one of us

Threads: 131
RE: Has anyone tried Cymbalta?
we are on cymbalta. it has worked well for us mostly. our last major depressive dip the pdoc added abilify so we take both meds and they are working well. we haven't noticed any weight gain.

hope you can get some help from the meds without major side effects.
06-22-2016, 02:34 PM
Find Reply
The People Offline

Thanks Mosaic. I felt a bit shaky earlier today but after a sleep it settled down. That is often the first thing to show and since I have a tremor to begin with... sucks. But good to know that somebody has had good effects.
06-23-2016, 02:02 AM
Find Reply
Cammy Offline

Threads: 98
Mosaic....just curious....how do you manage to function on the Abilify? The few times I've had to use it (I have a p.r.n. order for it so I only use it occasionally for serious panic nights), the next day I literally feel like someone has turned up the gravity on the planet. I can barely move I feel so incredibly heavy, and I can only stand up for a few minutes at a time, then I must recline. The Ability turns my body into a zombie and almost completely immobilizes me. I wonder how you manage on the stuff, or does it get better with time? Perhaps my reaction is atypical. Because it does this to me, I rarely ever take it, even when things are really bad. Being immobilized with that awful dragging heavy feeling is something I try to avoid. How do you do it?
Heart
Disclaimer: Any words or phrases used in our posts are meant in a completely respectful manner. Please know that we always endeavour to be kind and supportive.
11-10-2016, 10:46 PM
Find Reply
mosaic Offline
just another one of us

Threads: 131
hi Igraine. we have not had that reaction to Abilify, so im afraid i can't be of much help.

we remember years ago doctors wanted us to try lithium (even though we are not bipolar) and we had a horrible reaction to it. the doctors and nurses (we were in hospital at the time) kept saying our body would adjust and downplayed how awful it was for us. and to top things off, we weren't even in the therapeutic window as far as blood level was concerned.

fortunately when we got out of hospital and saw our new pdoc, he believed us about the reaction and immediately stopped the drug.

all this to say i understand having an adverse response to a drug and not wanting to take it.
11-11-2016, 09:43 AM
Find Reply
Cammy Offline

Threads: 98
Thanks mosaic. Having read all of this I can understand how the Abilify might work for People. If she feels 'shaky' on the Cymbalta, I can see how the Ability might mute this side effect. I haven't ever used Cymbalta, but there have been a few meds that have made us feel shaky and that's almost as bad as feeling bogged down.
Heart
Disclaimer: Any words or phrases used in our posts are meant in a completely respectful manner. Please know that we always endeavour to be kind and supportive.
11-16-2016, 10:57 PM
Find Reply
Peaches Offline

Threads: 1
I take a small dose of Cipralex which really helps level me out. Has caused me to gain weight, so I have to work on that. One thing at a time...
12-08-2016, 02:24 PM
Find Reply
VioletPeach Offline
Violet

Threads: 2
We've taken Cymbalta for years and found it to be effective. We take 120mg 1x/day. I know that's a lot, but we also take it for chronic pain. The main issue we have is making sure not to miss doses. The withdrawal symptoms are horrendous! Getting off of it would take a very long time. It seems to be very addictive.
Ta Tu Go Leor
01-15-2017, 07:37 AM
Find Reply
The People Offline

We are on 60. We actually didn't gain weight for once. However, we removed some things from our diet that was keeping it up. We are almost down to the weight we were at in the 20s.
01-18-2017, 03:13 AM
Find Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Has anyone tried Cymbalta? The People 0 1,852 06-22-2016, 01:38 PM
Last Post: The People