We did some volunteer work today
The People Offline
Long Time Member Who grew Up Here

Threads: 1,021
Doing okay  We did some volunteer work today
Cities across Canada have something called Homeless Connect twice a year. Today was my first time volunteering at one. People who are homeless or who lives on the edge get to have an amazing meal. There are also dentists and hair stylists, massage therapists, lawyers, people helping with taxes....

It was an amazing event. I did a half day and never sat. Others did but they could eat the food that were being served. After 4 hors I couldn't feel my feet as they were leaving without me. But what an awesome day!

Such events remind me that, no matter how bad my life is, it could be much worse. Do I worry that it will go that route? Of course I do. But on days like today I am in the present and just clearing tables for people and taking jugs around to dump unused coffee or 'juice', chatting with people and talking to their kids until they smile. I love this sort of volunteering.

Not everybody is in a place where they could be part of such a group. However, I highly recommend some sort of volunteering for an agency that helps people, supports a cause or makes people focus outward and away from their issues. It is really therapeutic!
I Am My Only Chance For A Hero!
05-15-2016, 11:03 PM
Find Reply
nats Offline
here and there..

Threads: 89
RE: We did some volunteer work today
sounds fantastic!
Blush Learn how to manage conflict, because the greater the level you can tolerate, the more freedom you will retain - E. Walsh Smile
05-16-2016, 05:49 AM
Find Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Back to work Tangled Web 7 5,505 07-27-2015, 06:42 AM
Last Post: aswiss186
  Physical work is also emotional work The People 2 2,296 07-19-2014, 03:51 PM
Last Post: mosaic
Doing okay Successes at Work MakersDozn 11 8,155 12-26-2013, 06:25 PM
Last Post: MakersDozn