An offshoot from Gim's discussion
The People Offline
Long Time Member Who grew Up Here

Threads: 1,021
An offshoot from Gim's discussion
Gim introduced self on WW and a long discussion ensued. They posted about a conference that I would love to attend. Sponsor me anyone?? Kidding... a bit.

Anyway, I get frustrated on Facebook and other health pages that people talk about every issue under the sun. except for ours. Not on mental health pages, invisible disability pages or Facebook. They talk about bi-polar and autism and they talk about child *b*se but never about what happens t the children when they grew up.

So I took the bull by the horns. Sorta. I explained that I knew many people with the condition (which is true IRL as well as here) Stats are potentially 1/100 same as schizophrenia. Yet the only time it is "discussed" is on shows like criminal minds where they all have a psychopathic alter.

One person hit like on Facebook and nobody commented. That one person was my T of many years ago.

I left a comment under that saying something like "just as I expected." Still no comment. Nobody wants to know about us. Well, hopefully at least a few people watched the video even if they didn't acknowledge it. And I really would love to be going to the conference.

I would be very nervous too I'm but it is such a relief to be some place where one can meet like minded peoples.
I Am My Only Chance For A Hero!
01-15-2016, 08:33 PM
Find Reply
Gim Offline

Threads: 2
RE: An offshoot from Gim's discussion
I often to do not hit like or comment on 'pages' that are on FB because it isn't private.
~With Brave Wings She Flies
01-15-2016, 08:35 PM
Find Reply
Gim Offline

I agree with your post.

I am scared as EVER to go to this conference. I have been added to a private forum of others who are going and have went a few years in a row.  I am really looking forward to it even though things are really rough.

I know there were scholarship funds but I do believe they have been used up. Because there was someone else who commented and said that they didn't qualify for scholarship. It makes me sad. I wish I was able to help others go because I know how valuable it is to have that support.

I have been on board of directors for group of moms that attended retreats every year.  Some would know each other going and others wouldn't until they go to the retreat.  We always ran fundraisers to help others get to the retreats.  It is soooooo important.  

I am looking at this conference as an investment into my healing.  It is going to financially strap us. However, I need to do it. I need to get back to work. I NEED to get past where I am.  The last few weeks have been horrific and this week has pretty much spiraled out of control.  So this investment....while it might be rough..I need to do it for me.  

What group or page were you talking about on FB? I don't belong to any FB groups that relate to D.I.D.  They are not private and others can see that I joined the group. So paranoia kind of sets in.  
My husband knows about D.I.D. But isn't very knowledgeable and just met with my therapist for the first time last week. Which caused a horrible backlash on a week that my therapist has been sick the whole week and I have had no support in the end.  OYE....yes we need more places where we can be us. Get support we need and go forward.....
01-15-2016, 08:42 PM
Find Reply
The People Offline

Gim we are in Canada so most likely we would not qualify for the scholarship, but thanks anyway. Maybe if you send the dates for next year I can try to work something out on this end. Wo knows what can happen in a year. So exited for you and look forward to the story of your grand adventure when you get back. We will all be with you in spirit. If you get scared you can still write here. Smile
01-17-2016, 04:35 PM
Find Reply
nats Offline
here and there..

Threads: 89
true, we wouldn't comment on FB or other social media either. DID doesn't have to be secret but we prefer it to be private. complicates reaching out..
Blush Learn how to manage conflict, because the greater the level you can tolerate, the more freedom you will retain - E. Walsh Smile
01-17-2016, 06:07 PM
Find Reply
Gim Offline

Exactly Nats!!

I think it is important to have a level of privacy. I would like to find FB group that is "secret" and give it a try. I find that forum easier to use than this. I have few private groups that I am in and they are very helpful - when they are moderated correctly. Smile
01-17-2016, 06:27 PM
Find Reply
The People Offline

I have never found a FB group that is to my liking. One even wanted people to use their real names. I like this one but maybe I am just used to it having been a member since the mid-nineties. I find it easier because I can come back and what I said is still here. Plus it is well moderated Another FB place warned of triggering. I don't want to share war stories. I do that in T. I want help with - getting through the day - Title of a Good book BTW!
01-19-2016, 08:49 PM
Find Reply
MakersDozn Offline
MM Oldtimer

Threads: 186
Just talking  RE: An offshoot from Gim's discussion
We're not on FB at all. Don't get us started on why; suffice it to say that we agree with Gim.

MDs, longing for the "good old days" (pre-FB, pre $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$) of the Internet.... Undecided
02-01-2016, 04:09 PM
Website Find Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Community Discussion: Helping Mosaic Minds Thrive MakersDozn 23 25,240 02-03-2017, 11:43 PM
Last Post: VioletPeach
I'm new/Introduction Round table discussion time? The People 10 8,739 03-16-2015, 01:12 AM
Last Post: The People
Question For those who have been part of the book discussion can you please check in.. The People 0 2,057 09-16-2013, 04:22 PM
Last Post: The People