Totally at odds with T last night Sp mentioned
The People Offline
Long Time Member Who grew Up Here

Threads: 1,021
Spiritual content  Totally at odds with T last night Sp mentioned
I put SP because it is touched on but not the focus. Just examples. So many feelings right now.

I felt like she was telling me that perhaps I should accept my life as it is. I try to make friends and little comes from it. As I said to her I am an extrovert by nature but forced to live the life of an introvert, sitting home every night with my cat. Doing things on my own. She suggested that perhaps I should just accept that this life. She used Monks as an example. But monks usually live with other monks. Their faith is strong enough to sustain them and their community supports them in many ways. I stated that nuns are the same. They chose a single lifestyle but again they have a group they belong to, have a strong enough connection with God that it sustains them and the people in their church are part of their social life. They don't feel alone. I was so upset about this that I came home and wrote her about this. Stating that I am not looking for marriage. Just a life.

She also commented that perhaps I am already making a difference and am not aware of it (important to me). How does that help me now? In this empty life? I told her about a friend that I used to talk to about these same issues and she promised me that the next life will be better? I don't talk faith with this woman as hers is so strong (although she is not without her own suffering) because of this response that she gives. I don't tell her that my faith is not as strong as hers. I barely have any anymore.

I talked about "friends" who tell me I am like family. With family they drop everything and go if there is a crisis. With me I am lucky to get a phone call. T said that perhaps it is because others view friendship in a different way than I do.

I have no life and these are the answers I get?

I told her about writing a letter to a woman who assured me that she would help me get a support group going and then wouldn't even answer my emails. Finally I wrote one to her stating that she was obviously someone who would not/could not help me and that I had given up on anything happening. She commented that it was 'teen' behaviour. Getting frustrated, striking out or pushing back. Do I not have a right to be angry at someone who was so assuring that she would help and then wouldn't even answer an email?

I am meeting a friend for supper tonight. She is in from the town I used to live in. I hate that I am in this down mood. It is a friendship where I often feel like I am going through the motions. Now is one of those times. She has weird boundaries. Her mother was visiting for over 2 months. She let me know that she preferred that I not write her at this time. Yes I understand that she wants to be with her mother but this was the same woman who found it acceptable when I met them for lunch when they were in town once and I expressed my negative opinion (gently) over the fact that the son was sitting and texting with me sitting right next to him. I looked at him and he put it away and when I commented to Mom she said "Oh we all do it."

I don't get most people. They don't get me. And I am just supposed to accept that? Sit home alone most nights? I left feeling very frustrated and emailed her when I got home. She doesn't respond to my emails.
02-26-2015, 06:03 PM
Find Reply
Allofus11plus Offline

Threads: 4
RE: Totally at odds with T last night Sp mentioned
I'm sorry you feel so alone. I totally get that feel free to message me anytime to vent or just talk. I'm on here constantly and would love to have conversations with people. We can be each others company
02-26-2015, 08:33 PM
Find Reply
The People Offline

I appreciate that. And I know people are here. But I am an extrovert forced to live an introvert life. It sucks. Here and face to face each has advantages/disadvantages and I need both to function well.
02-27-2015, 01:57 AM
Find Reply
orek Offline

Threads: 12
I'm so sorry, People. It sounds as if your T just wasn't hearing you, let alone offering ideas on how to make small steps toward a more interactive and supportive social life. I'm more an introvert, but even with that AND a supportive spouse, I often feel isolated and lonely. I can't imagine being an extrovert living alone (cat excepted) and not having those needs met on top of just the basic human need for contact and connection. Just accept it for this life?? WTF? I can see trying to help you be in the "now" and learning to love yourself even WHILE working toward meeting your very understandable social desires and needs.

I wonder if there is some group in your area you could join, just as a small step toward more interaction, like a non-church choral group or book club or something. Maybe even volunteering somewhere in an area of interest might help you connect with like-minded people. I don't know if any of that would help, but baby steps are more tangible and attainable. Maybe you or others could think of other ones.

I hope you can express to your T how you feel and re-connect with her.
02-28-2015, 12:40 PM
Find Reply
The People Offline

I have done little things like that. Some work. Some don't. I am working 1 hour/week with a young boy helping him with his reading. It is something. I have other 'small things' too and I do have one friend I meet with for coffee every 2 weeks. So it isn't like it is a vacant lot but it is like a mall parking lot during a visit.

Thanks so much for understanding. Not sure how next week will go with us sending the email. We go back and forth on how we feel about working with her.
I Am My Only Chance For A Hero!
03-01-2015, 04:36 AM
Find Reply
Tangled Web Offline

Threads: 169
Hi The People. I am not entirely sure this will be doable for you but maybe if you took some classes in something you want to learn about. I mention this because when I went back to school in my late 30's it was quite a social environment-maybe something like that would help you meet people. Sometimes some areas have free classes or subsidised courses people can take. Just an idea.
TW
"You may not remember what someone says or does, but you will never forget how they made you feel" Mac Anderson.
(This post was last modified: 03-01-2015, 04:44 AM by Tangled Web.)
03-01-2015, 04:41 AM
Find Reply
The People Offline

While I love lifelong learning there is nothing in the budget to pay for it. And as Alberta is an oil based economy all of the things like bursaries are cut out.
03-01-2015, 07:44 PM
Find Reply
Tangled Web Offline

Threads: 169
I was thinking more on the free side of things or cheap things that wouldn't necessarily have to do with the mental health sector of things--branching out into something different. I don't really know what is available in your area.
"You may not remember what someone says or does, but you will never forget how they made you feel" Mac Anderson.
03-01-2015, 08:07 PM
Find Reply