Retracing my steps
The People Offline
Long Time Member Who grew Up Here

Threads: 1,021
Retracing my steps
I was a big sister for years before I moved to the city. Last spring I decided to volunteer with Boys and Girls due to the fact that I get overly attached when it is 1-1. But I love kids and we are happiest when we are around them. Two gets mad because she cannot come out but she likes to watch.

Today I re-contacted Boys and Girls. They are still happy to have me volunteer. I have 1 more reference to submit (well for them to contact) and then a 2 hour interview.

The hardest part initially was explaining that I had no family contact. I was angry so I am sure they wondered what the person would be like who showed up for the meeting. They wanted a family reference. I cannot remember what words I used when I told them my family was nuts. They were willing to look past that but I needed to provide an extra reference.

I went to the group training last spring. I had already decided that I didn't want more 1-1. When they started listing all of the things one cannot do as a 'Big' I was filled with guilt and hurt as some things got messed up with my littles. So I backed off. They actually emailed me and told me that it was unfortunate as they felt I could offer a lo of experience to the new people. So with that in mind I contacted them and they were happy to hear from me.

However, as I said I know I am happiest when I am with kids and I need to have things to do besides sit at home. So I contacted them today and wheels are turning once again. I have had a rough few days but I feel better suddenly. I have a plan for something. It feels right.Sno1
(This post was last modified: 09-19-2014, 06:03 PM by The People.)
09-19-2014, 05:58 PM
Find Reply
nats Offline
here and there..

Threads: 89
RE: Retracing my steps
that's great! let us know how it goes.
Blush Learn how to manage conflict, because the greater the level you can tolerate, the more freedom you will retain - E. Walsh Smile
09-20-2014, 03:57 AM
Find Reply
MakersDozn Offline
MM Oldtimer

Threads: 186
Friendship/Support  RE: Retracing my steps
We're glad to hear that you're moving ahead with this. And eager to hear how it goes.

Good luck,

MDs
(This post was last modified: 09-20-2014, 10:49 AM by MakersDozn.)
09-20-2014, 10:49 AM
Website Find Reply
mosaic Offline
just another one of us

Threads: 131
RE: Retracing my steps
sounds like a real positive thing you are doing - hope it goes well for all involved.
09-20-2014, 05:22 PM
Find Reply