Internal battle over therapy
57thomas Offline

Threads: 3
Scared  Internal battle over therapy
I've only been in therapy a few months, and am having increasing internal conflict over continuing with it. My inner problem child has thrown tantrums and tried to alienate everyone possible, destroyed emails and journal entries without my knowledge, etc. I missed an appointment last week because I switched 2 hrs before the appt, but didn't come back until exactly the time the appt was to start. I'm new to all this and am at a loss how to prevent this from happening. I don't think I can even survive without therapy at this point.
08-24-2014, 10:26 PM
Find Reply
MakersDozn Offline
MM Oldtimer

Threads: 186
Friendship/Support  RE: Internal battle over therapy
Hang in there, 57thomas. We know it's hard.

About this particular inner child....

1. Is there a safe older person who can stay with this child on the inside?
2. Does the child have his own inner safe place? Perhaps if given the chance to create one, he will feel less of a need to do things that cause difficulty for you.

Sending you good thoughts.

MDs
08-24-2014, 10:50 PM
Website Find Reply
nats Offline
here and there..

Threads: 89
RE: Internal battle over therapy
welcome to MM 57thomas. if someone is fighting against therapy, there is a reason. have you asked this person why or tried to communicate?
Blush Learn how to manage conflict, because the greater the level you can tolerate, the more freedom you will retain - E. Walsh Smile
08-25-2014, 08:41 AM
Find Reply
orek Offline

Threads: 12
(08-24-2014, 10:26 PM)57thomas Wrote: I've only been in therapy a few months, and am having increasing internal conflict over continuing with it. My inner problem child has thrown tantrums and tried to alienate everyone possible, destroyed emails and journal entries without my knowledge, etc. I missed an appointment last week because I switched 2 hrs before the appt, but didn't come back until exactly the time the appt was to start. I'm new to all this and am at a loss how to prevent this from happening. I don't think I can even survive without therapy at this point.

Hi, 57thomas. That sounds horribly confusing. We just started with a new T, and it's scary and hard enough to start the process of building rapport and trust without all that sabotage, etc., going on. I like both nats' idea of asking the insider why s/he is fighting therapy (that could be both helpful and enlightening) and MDs' idea of having someone older sit with the child--or at least ensure the little one doesn't interfere with your choice to go to therapy. I hope your T is understanding and helpful with all this. (If you haven't discussed this with your T, I recommend it.) Take care--orek
09-07-2014, 10:08 PM
Find Reply
The People Offline
Long Time Member Who grew Up Here

Threads: 1,021
dnt call her prolebm child else she wont tel you why she dastroy t time. let her be afrad or watever. an bribe her bigs sad. wat she like. or he. sound like she sard of you tell t bad things. much of the bad peoples scard us sayin ifn we tell... mabe that the gril or boy like somthin after ech t day. a tret of somthin. bigs say not havta be candies etc an we no longer eat ise crem there. suks. but say nise thing.s they jest kids like me an two

peak whose 6.
I Am My Only Chance For A Hero!
04-11-2015, 03:50 AM
Find Reply
The People Offline
Long Time Member Who grew Up Here

Threads: 1,021
we quit t an pdoc an doctr. we sika them all we fone frist 2 teld them that we cansel not com for som time sept for som pills. we jest tird.

that t. she nise but she. well she say we do this an we dont. bigs waut for tax thing. othr things,
I Am My Only Chance For A Hero!
04-11-2015, 03:52 AM
Find Reply
cew Offline
manyminds

Threads: 8
I totally get the idea that a part can be a "problem child." I've got a teenager who can really muck things up. As the part making and trying to keep appointments and proper comportment, I dread this teenager making an appearance. To me, she is a problem in those moments. And yes, I understand she came into being for positive purposes, etc. So, I get your frustration!
04-29-2015, 06:33 AM
Find Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Therapy or not therapy, that is the question cew 9 8,451 08-20-2015, 05:02 PM
Last Post: Cammy
Question No internal space?? Blue 18 13,644 05-08-2015, 06:37 PM
Last Post: The People
Other/All/Unsure Internal Communication (or Lack Thereof) MakersDozn 3 3,473 07-26-2014, 11:10 AM
Last Post: MakersDozn
  Internal battle canucklady1971 3 3,062 06-24-2014, 02:41 PM
Last Post: nats
  Internal family systems theory? weberr13 8 7,716 09-18-2012, 02:48 AM
Last Post: elizabeth