We all live in the yellow submarine
small porgies Offline

Threads: 4
We all live in the yellow submarine
Small Porgies here. I was struggling the other day with the issue of self care. I survived something close to ritual abuse but have no memory of anything. Anyhow, being that I was subjected to abuse probably before I could speak, the M.O. of my life is to not be a problem, to not get in the way, to give without ending and to allow people to take large chunks of my time and mental energy.
Learning to drink water when I'm thirsty is still an issue. I know I'm thirsty but I sit there and remain parched with a large pitcher of water is sitting on my mini fridge. Which is empty. My father was the abuser and he controlled the food in the house so I have no ability to cook or understand the process of what it means to eat well.
The issue of self-care is really confusing to me. I guess to deal with the abuse I divided because if I had voiced an opinion about what was happening in the moment, I have no idea what would have happened. So I was never a priority. So I am struggling to change that. I think I have a partial solution.
I went and got a dry erase board. I listed a series of things that are not okay to do to myself. Taking things from myself that make me happy, was one. The abuse happened over thirty years ago yet I am acting as if it is still going on.
I wrote down the things that make me happy. I listed the things I do to hurt myself and am not allowed to continue doing. My favorite part of the board (I think it appeals to my kids) is the daily "One thing I like about myself." First thing were my feet. Then my ears. Kind of cool because they are close to the side of my head and don't stick out like beer mug handles. Today it was my sense of humor. I drew a large smiley face and on the top of it I welcomed my seven alters. Beginning to find things I like about myself is already changing how I feel about myself. I actually could look in the mirror for the first time.
Even as I write this there is this desire to tear myself to pieces. One of the things I have struggled with but am winning the battle with, is the vitriolic self hate dialogue. I haven't given in to it like I used to. The other day I said numbskull to myself and it felt so good. Compared to what I used to say to myself, this is silly. But it was like what I would imagine a woman would go through, who had refrained from eating chocolate, allowing herself to have just one piece of rich chocolate cake. Odd.
Even as I write this, I doubt I have alters. I'm new to this whole thing so I switch on and off about believing it and doubting. Thanks for listening.Anon-32
07-03-2014, 01:03 PM
Find Reply
nats Offline
here and there..

Threads: 89
RE: We all live in the yellow submarine
hi small porgies, thanks for sharing. think the constant doubt and acceptance is a permanent thing for many of us. good idea about the dry erase board :-)
Blush Learn how to manage conflict, because the greater the level you can tolerate, the more freedom you will retain - E. Walsh Smile
07-03-2014, 01:20 PM
Find Reply
small porgies Offline

It's like I get that I'm not supposed to step in front of a bus but the devil is in the details, nats. Why is not obvious that I'm not supposed to get dizzy from lack of water or that eating six times a day is important. The smaller you go the harder it is to tell where the line is drawn.
07-03-2014, 01:57 PM
Find Reply
Tangled Web Offline

Threads: 169
I agree with you nats. I still doubt myself and my "others". But I use the word we ALL the time now.........I like the idea of the dry erase board. It sounds like you are making progress and that is something to celebrate small porgies Smile
TW
"You may not remember what someone says or does, but you will never forget how they made you feel" Mac Anderson.
07-03-2014, 09:24 PM
Find Reply
small porgies Offline

T.W. It's actually doing really well. First thing I see is this big smiling face and then what I like about myself. I see it many times a day. I woke up this morning and wrote "I LIKE ME."
07-05-2014, 02:59 PM
Find Reply
The People Offline
Long Time Member Who grew Up Here

Threads: 1,021
my frend unsher from ocean famly she liked that song, we not tok to her som long time. ifn she read somtime I say hi unsher from two here. I hope you hava good time with them neses there. my bigs say hi to your famly of inside there.
I Am My Only Chance For A Hero!
07-11-2014, 04:04 AM
Find Reply
small porgies Offline

Hey People,
Thanks for saying hi. I hope you're doing well and I really liked your photograph of the bunny. I like to think that we are all happy to live in the Yellow Submarine. Sounds like you have a good relationship with your buddies and a lot of friends on this site. I love the song. The other song that is great is an "Octopuses Garden in the Shade" Takes me back to my childhood. Take care People and thanks for reaching out.
Small Porgies
07-11-2014, 11:22 AM
Find Reply
angel with wings Offline

Threads: 34
You gave me a great idea. I need to do what you did, I need to write down what i like about myself. I struggle with self image too. Thanks for your input.
07-23-2014, 07:45 PM
Find Reply
small porgies Offline

Angel With Wings...Thanks. It has really helped me. The hateful self talk was killing me. I noticed today for the first time that I can no longer say hurtful things to myself. I thanks my therapist for that. Today I liked my ears. Sounds silly but I'm learning that I like a lot of things about myself. I liked my legs, eyes, toes, empathetic nature, my mind, etc..etc.. good luck!
07-24-2014, 12:54 PM
Find Reply
angel with wings Offline

Threads: 34
(07-24-2014, 12:54 PM)small porgies Wrote: Angel With Wings...Thanks. It has really helped me. The hateful self talk was killing me. I noticed today for the first time that I can no longer say hurtful things to myself. I thanks my therapist for that. Today I liked my ears. Sounds silly but I'm learning that I like a lot of things about myself. I liked my legs, eyes, toes, empathetic nature, my mind, etc..etc.. good luck!

Today I liked my hair. It is very long.
07-24-2014, 07:35 PM
Find Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cats live nto their thirties The People 0 1,612 01-15-2015, 05:37 PM
Last Post: The People
  Yellow submarine needs repair... small porgies 3 2,719 08-26-2014, 10:40 PM
Last Post: angel with wings