started going to the gym
mosaic Offline
just another one of us

Threads: 131
Other/All/Unsure   started going to the gym
i got four sessions with a trainer to start me out...

whenever i get to a certain point in the workout i get a strong, emotional (negative) reaction... like despair or something, and i start to cry.

usually i guess it is when i've reached my limit physically and can't push any further...

has anyone who has tried exercising had that kind of reaction to physical exertion? it is embarrassing to break down emotionally and start crying there in the gym.
05-23-2014, 04:28 PM
Find Reply
Tangled Web Offline

Threads: 169
RE: started going to the gym
We have had that happen sort of.............. I don't go out to a gym anymore, exercising brings out a whole wack of emotions for us, so we chose to do it alone, if we do it all. Tried going to the gym downstairs that we have in the building we live in now and it was working out pretty good until someone came in and then we had to leave. Good for you for going though. I think that is great. Sorry you went through that though. I hope it will get better for you.
"You may not remember what someone says or does, but you will never forget how they made you feel" Mac Anderson.
05-24-2014, 12:34 AM
Find Reply
The People Offline
Long Time Member Who grew Up Here

Threads: 1,021
We used to be very active and often would get a surge of anger. Doctor didn't really believe us (Big surprise) and WT didn't know why as fitness wasn't her thing. We did some inquiring and what was explained made sense.
The brain has been taught that any type of adrenalin is the bad stuff and sent me into fight or flight. As an adult my brain needs to be retrained in order to get past it because it still doesn't know good from bad. The guy who was some guru of PTSD said to either go really slow (like what's the point) or work above your threshold which is what we tend to do. We too are working out. We are fortunate to have a small gym in our building. I go too late re safety but I like being there by myself.
I Am My Only Chance For A Hero!
06-22-2014, 04:34 AM
Find Reply
Twin Volition Offline

Threads: 7
Wish I'd seen this topic earlier; exercise used to be a pretty regular part of our life. Despite the fact that since the beginning of Spring, we've fallen out of practice due to depression and lack of motivation, I don't recall intense physical activity ever evoking markedly negative emotions.

I still, however, identify with TW on training alone. Aria isn't too enamored with fitness and usually won't do anything physical unless it's for fun, but generally speaking, we like to be alone most of the time anyway. And I take training very seriously and solemnly, which makes it difficult to concentrate when outside people are around.

My advice is to have patience with progress and to avoid tying your self-esteem directly to the outcome of your day's training. If you're exerting yourself to the point of tears and despair, you could be pushing yourself too hard. (I know, because I used to do that on a regular basis, back before I learned not to use hatred and anger as motivation to advance.) This is also why I recommend not going to a personal trainer, unless it helps you; for me, it's always been more peaceful and efficient to set my own pace, rather than hold myself to someone else's.

So for those of you like me who prefer to be alone when exercising, as a former athlete who has never set foot in a gym, I can testify that you don't need to go to a crowded facility full of machines to get in shape. All my triumphs were earned without weight sets or treadmills or track ellipses. Everything I ever accomplished was with hard work, calisthenic exercises such as pull-ups and sit-ups, and running with our own two feet, outdoors.
06-22-2014, 11:52 PM
Find Reply
The People Offline
Long Time Member Who grew Up Here

Threads: 1,021
TV what works for one person doesn't work for another, or works differently. Some people like the regulation of being in a gym. I used to love being a gym rat and have just moved into a building where there is a small gym that I have started to use. I do both. Not much progress yet due to things getting in the way.

Also, what has been your experience re triggers etc. is not going to be the same as that of others. We have a condition in common and some other things. But we also have some differences.
I Am My Only Chance For A Hero!
(This post was last modified: 06-30-2014, 03:53 AM by The People.)
06-30-2014, 03:38 AM
Find Reply