How to Find the Right Therapist
iylahsek Offline

Threads: 2
How to Find the Right Therapist
Sometime in the next two months-ish, we'll be moving across the country, to the east coast. I'm very scared about this, but I know the job there will be a very good one, especially for our (external, in-the-flesh, not sure the right word?) young boys, who have not enjoyed our current home city very much. We've never lived there, though, and don't know anyone there, yet.

I am worried though, because I know its in large part my job to find a new therapist there. Our doctor here has been very, very kind, but has never worked with someone with DID, and I think that has made it difficult. But I don't really know how to look for doctors with experience, and who might be a good match. Does anyone have any good recommendations on who to find a good doctor?
05-07-2014, 04:10 PM
Find Reply
iylahsek Offline

RE: How to Find the Right Therapist
PS, sorr,y I know this is probably a newbie question, I don't mean to ask silly things that everyone else already knows.
05-07-2014, 04:11 PM
Find Reply
Reilly Offline

Threads: 32
Feedback  RE: How to Find the Right Therapist
You might try Sidran. They have a help desk and can provide a list of therapists in your area that specialize in DID. Psychologist Ellen Lacter keeps a good referral list too. You can go on the Psychology Today website and they have a list of therapists and what areas they specialize in. You might even contact a local psychiatric hospital to see if they have anyone.
Good luck. Hope you find someone positive.
05-07-2014, 10:47 PM
Find Reply
The People Offline
Long Time Member Who grew Up Here

Threads: 1,021
There are no silly questions here. In fact. It would be very difficult to find a question that nobody else has ever asked.

I do hope that your move goes well. I am going under the assumption that you are in the US? Hard to come by a new doctor in Eastern Canada, let alone someone who knows about DID.

Perhaps you could start with making a list of what you want in a doctor. Male or female or doesn't matter. In a large practice (if this is an option) or small one? With this part I fid it better as there is someone available in an emergency in a big one. But it can be overwhelming.

Do they have to be nearby or is work and life flexible enough to for you to drive a bit?

With this in mind you might want to see if there is any sort of online list of doctors taking new patients and what their specialties are. That can be done where I live. As well I can call the psychologists association and get a list of people working with DID. They give 3 at a time and if none work I can ask for more names. It is a good system. It took me a bit to figure out that there were more available than the disaster on my initial list.

And don't be afraid to use your instincts. We multies have survived by developing strong instincts and it helps us to use them in this sort of situation. Talk to a few people. Then go with what feels right.

I think there is a list of what to look for or what to ask in the reading room. Best of luck. I know from experience that moving can be stressful but it sounds as if the outcome will be worth it.Race
05-17-2014, 07:05 AM
Find Reply
iylahsek Offline

Thank you everyone, both for the responses, and the pointers at other resources. I'm sorry it took so long to respond - the month has been full of some trouble with my home life - but even with my slowness, I want you to know how much I appreciate the response.
05-25-2014, 12:19 AM
Find Reply
nats Offline
here and there..

Threads: 89
hang in there iylahsek! hope things in your home life settle down.
Blush Learn how to manage conflict, because the greater the level you can tolerate, the more freedom you will retain - E. Walsh Smile
05-25-2014, 02:37 AM
Find Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Angry Why oh why is it so hard to find dreamers 5 3,589 10-11-2019, 12:46 AM
Last Post: The People
  Therapist Is Leaving Shadows 25 15,668 08-14-2017, 03:09 AM
Last Post: nats
  New therapist! FreyasSpirit 1 2,586 04-14-2016, 03:25 AM
Last Post: nats
Doing okay T question. Hope you can find it. The People 4 3,962 08-08-2014, 08:24 PM
Last Post: MakersDozn
Doing okay new therapist Reilly 11 7,878 08-17-2013, 08:04 PM
Last Post: Reilly