Diagnosis, social life, and benefits
Twin Volition Offline

Threads: 7
Question  Diagnosis, social life, and benefits
As we are not currently diagnosed with anything but major depressive disorder, I've been wondering: what are the benefits/drawbacks of a diagnosis for dissociative identity disorder? What purpose does it serve?

I've come to the conclusion that surely there are indeed some advantages and disadvantages to having a diagnosis. For instance, it seems to us that people would be more understanding if there was some form of external explanation for our "behavior", or some kind of professional opinion. Speaking just from our diminutive experience on this Earth, there is an immense amount of prejudice against our kind, diagnosed or not. As is, taking into consideration the rarity and less-than-favorable reputation of the phenomenon of multiplicity, someone without a diagnosis is likely to be disbelieved, ridiculed, misunderstood, discriminated against, or all of the above--even more so than someone who is diagnosed. I get the impression that most people think the difference between a looney attention-fiend and a respectable person is that diagnosis.

I'm sure this is not news to anyone, but we have no friends. We never did. There were a few people that occasionally put up with me, but they were more the friends of family, and even then, that was before they knew I was a freak. Making friends as of late has proven repeatedly fruitless, even online. Perhaps I'm just looking for something to blame other than ourself, but I feel that a diagnosis may help others to be more accepting of us.

Secondly, it would make sense for there to be tangible benefits as well. I understand this isn't the case with everyone, but we have never had a job, and have solid reason to believe that we are incapable of holding one. With that in mind, would a diagnosis of some sort, maybe even just an "NOS psychotic disorder", help my case in getting financial assistance?

Of course, the most important question of all remains: is obtaining a diagnosis--or even therapy of any sort--worth the financial/emotional expenditure and risk of being involuntarily committed again? Even if there was no diagnosis involved, we would very much appreciate if someone could help, but no one is willing to talk to us. The only thing anyone ever wants to do is send us to the hospital and/or put us on drugs.

- Arlen
(This post was last modified: 04-30-2014, 05:06 PM by Twin Volition.)
04-30-2014, 05:05 PM
Find Reply
MakersDozn Offline
MM Oldtimer

Threads: 186
Feedback  RE: Diagnosis, social life, and benefits
This is a great topic, and we're glad that you brought it up, Arlen. Since we don't think there's any answer that fits every situation, we'll speak from our own experience.

Our body age is 52. We realized that we were multiple in 1996, when the body was 34. We weren't formally dx'ed; rather, we had been on the Internet for less than a year, and through a now-defunct survivors' forum, we met other multiples, and things started to click for us.

We found a very good therapist in the fall of 1998 and stayed with her until she retired in the spring of 2004. We've been with our current T since then. In the first situation, we began the first session by stating, "I'm a high-functioning multiple." When we began seeing our current T, our former T had briefed her on our situation.

In both cases, our dx of record has been major depressive disorder. For one thing, in New York State, law entitles people with MDD to an unlimited number of mental-health treatment sessions.

Beyond that, both our current T and our previous T have seen no benefit in adding DID/MPD to our formal diagnosis. For one thing, we don't see ourselves as "disordered." We have depression, anxiety, and PTSD, but they do not define us. And the multiplicity is simply our way of living with life as it has presented itself to us.

So....that's why we're not interested in having multiplicity as part of our diagnosis. We do what we can to live our life with what we see as our obstacles--the depression, the anxiety, the PTSD. Those are the things that we see as impeding our ability to function. We have a very good job and we live on our own, but we have few offline friends, no spouse, and no outside children. Living our life as it is presents enough challenges for us.

As we said, though, everyone's situation is unique. Or, as we often put it, "Your mileage may vary." We hope that you find an answer that works for you.

MDs
04-30-2014, 05:44 PM
Website Find Reply
Twin Volition Offline

Threads: 7
Agree  RE: Diagnosis, social life, and benefits
(04-30-2014, 05:44 PM)MakersDozn Wrote: This is a great topic, and we're glad that you brought it up, Arlen. Since we don't think there's any answer that fits every situation, we'll speak from our own experience.

Our body age is 52. We realized that we were multiple in 1996, when the body was 34. We weren't formally dx'ed; rather, we had been on the Internet for less than a year, and through a now-defunct survivors' forum, we met other multiples, and things started to click for us.

We found a very good therapist in the fall of 1998 and stayed with her until she retired in the spring of 2004. We've been with our current T since then. In the first situation, we began the first session by stating, "I'm a high-functioning multiple." When we began seeing our current T, our former T had briefed her on our situation.

In both cases, our dx of record has been major depressive disorder. For one thing, in New York State, law entitles people with MDD to an unlimited number of mental-health treatment sessions.

Beyond that, both our current T and our previous T have seen no benefit in adding DID/MPD to our formal diagnosis. For one thing, we don't see ourselves as "disordered." We have depression, anxiety, and PTSD, but they do not define us. And the multiplicity is simply our way of living with life as it has presented itself to us.

So....that's why we're not interested in having multiplicity as part of our diagnosis. We do what we can to live our life with what we see as our obstacles--the depression, the anxiety, the PTSD. Those are the things that we see as impeding our ability to function. We have a very good job and we live on our own, but we have few offline friends, no spouse, and no outside children. Living our life as it is presents enough challenges for us.

As we said, though, everyone's situation is unique. Or, as we often put it, "Your mileage may vary." We hope that you find an answer that works for you.

MDs

I guess it's unfortunate that I don't live in NY then. Undecided

We respect and do subscribe to the mentality that multiplicity is not a "disorder" per se, but at this point in our life, it has resulted in many of the obstacles to our functionality. So I suppose the object of treatment would not be to imply that multiplicity is the problem, but simply to help us become a high-functioning multiple in any way we can.

Although I believe it would not be the sole purpose of going for help again, we're still on the fence about a diagnosis; we don't see being diagnosed as necessarily submitting to the conceit that multiplicity is a problem. Rather, it seems to me a matter of our own insecurity. We would like to have people admit that multiplicity is a real phenomenon, and in our opinion, a diagnosis is simply such a confirmation. The question left is the one of trust--of whether we're willing to permit someone the ability to put us back in the hospital.

In the end, however, it's like you said: everyone's situation is different, so we have to make that decision for ourselves.

- Arlen
04-30-2014, 06:32 PM
Find Reply
Downtherabbithole Offline

Threads: 29
RE: Diagnosis, social life, and benefits
I can relate to what's been said here. The T I have seen once works with ppl like us and our first session was alot about this issue but no one was willing to put a lablr to it and as there is a spectrum of where people can split and a degree of dissociation according to each experience of a person, my understanding is that even simple ptsd has some level of seperation though basic, then complex ptsd has more seperation then ddnos more do then the did on the end of the scale( though one site said there was another more complex version of did but I don't fully grasp how that works and only be site found showed this). The only official diagnosis given was complex ptsd because T was seeing at the time didn't believe in did. But the T before said she suspected I did but she had gone on long sick leave before could get any further with diagnosis. Another when mentioned bout others n suggestion of previous suggestio of did she tried asking an emotional part to come out to talk. The angry one n instead complete system failure n therapist spent rest of session trying to calm me down from panic n try help me get grounded. Then when got home I heard things like betrayal n stabbing in back because I spoke of them. This T well they're actually a pair that work together. They do it for free thru a church I once went to. The accept the existance of others inside and use my terms like voices n parts when talking to me, they recognize when a switch happened twice in session. I've only seen them once. But they havnt put a lable on me and because some parts still doubt being multiple they deny the lable of did saying just all in the hesd( hehe she doesn't pick up on the fact that often argues with herself n gets answered back depleting her argument that's she's only one but I see benifit of a part thinking they are only one because it helps remain hidden).. Ppl see odd behaviour but dismiss me as being just that odd girl. Quirky, or as my mum says.. Very unusual child. My unusualness is seen for most part as being silly n fun or funny and rarely related to trauma. Meaning that don't often make that connection very often. Sometimes I wish I would tell my mum there was a reason why I was that way or tell ppl who judge me as childish or seeking attention ( partly cause of works of p@rp) but your right there is a negative stigma attatched n I too fear official diagnosis incase ended up locked away n made sure the T seeing assure me he didn't thinki was crazy n no locking away would result from this, but I feel I still do hold back. But I class myself more as having severe trauma than having a specific condition as I don't know really where I fall in the spectrum, just that I have severe dissociation n parts of me inside. A community inside. I don't know how many n not all have names much to the disappointment of new T's as they said its harder to know who's who n whose speaking or in control. I just said tell me about it now u know why I get so confused. It's hard though when it comes to jobs, I am limited myself to certain jobs because too much triggered pressure n all hell breaks loose. But I guess that's true if anyone did or not. When it comes to financial help I admit gets tricky, or even job help for disability. ( basically fir those with special needs n need help to find a job that they are able to do with their condition) I've had to consider it or even trying to get student support by becoming a full time student thru a counselling diploma I've been doing long distance. I wanna help ppl when I get myself together I know I will be able to do that better. But though I work hr n half from home either way n there is bullying from owners high stakes pressure there n being run raggered by the job I'm reluctant to go down avenue of openly admitting that other jobs could take terrify me because of the presence of men either working with or customers. I work with children n my quirkyness makes me good entertainer n I guess motherly parts good at singing outside babies to sleep or comforting crying children. But working with children seems safer than adults. I havnt freaked out at work this work ever except when owners came in esp when they hammered n belittle me in front of other staff n children. But I understand how it feels is what I'm trying to say, where u really not sure if getting officially diagnosed or telling anyone because of being locked away or judged more but meanwhile ppl not understanding why we are how we are they judge us harshly in a whole different way. If you don't feel comfortable with presenting as a did person, maybe try present as how u feel comfortable presenting self as, that way you can feel safe and still get help then down the track you might find someone who it's safe to tAAlk face to face about his stuff. As it is other than the two T's Ive seen once n the main one I've emailed alot and one good friend no one else openly knows about it( that's still in my life). Trust is earned. If someone has earnt your trust, sometimes when your ready you can open up to them and say how things are for you. Until then, from what I've seen of this place, ppl are very understanding n are on a simular page so they know what it's like n won't judge u. I hope u find it safe here to share n find support u need.
04-30-2014, 10:46 PM
Find Reply
The People Offline
Long Time Member Who grew Up Here

Threads: 1,021
RE: Diagnosis, social life, and benefits
I have started the 'friendless' conversation here before and you are not alone in your aloneness. As for the proper dx, that would help you to find the right people who could get you the proper help. It is a slow, painful process but with the right therapist you could hopefully get more control over your life.
I Am My Only Chance For A Hero!
05-17-2014, 07:10 AM
Find Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Coping with Social Anxiety The People 3 3,884 12-21-2018, 10:32 PM
Last Post: Cammy
  Questioning Our Diagnosis Shadows 10 6,138 10-13-2017, 03:51 AM
Last Post: nats
Caution Stuck in a Pattern (Our Life Story) MakersDozn 2 2,474 11-28-2014, 04:06 PM
Last Post: MakersDozn