Cultural talk - no harm intended
The People Offline
Long Time Member Who grew Up Here

Threads: 1,021
May trigger  Cultural talk - no harm intended
I don't know if they had residential schools for First Nation (American Indian) kids down there but the feds along with a couple of churches decided a few generations back that the kids needed to be pulled out of their homes and live in residence where they were only allowed to speak English and too many other rules.

A short while back our Prime Minister formally apologized, money has been distributed (many bad things happened to a lot of kids) and this weekend there was a healing celebration.

Someone inside is sooooo angry. Not that this race does not deserve to be helped in this way. But so do we. We lost our chance. Screwed it up. Someone is very triggered over all of this. Some of it is too red dot and MT to go into but man oh man are they wound up. Last night someone wrote a letter to the Pope because the Bishop just ignores us.

Over 20 years ago we were having bad thoughts. T of the time said if we left imagine what we might miss out on. Well WTF would we have missed? Celiac? Sciatica? Inability to work? Lost more than ever? WTF?

Yes we are safe. For reasons we won't get into here. But f*ck this life sucks.ThumU Hitching a ride... anywhere
I Am My Only Chance For A Hero!
03-31-2014, 10:33 PM
Find Reply
tweeter Offline

Threads: 24
RE: Cultural talk - no harm intended
(03-31-2014, 10:33 PM)The People Wrote: I don't know if they had residential schools for First Nation (American Indian) kids down there but the feds along with a couple of churches decided a few generations back that the kids needed to be pulled out of their homes and live in residence where they were only allowed to speak English and too many other rules.

A short while back our Prime Minister formally apologized, money has been distributed (many bad things happened to a lot of kids) and this weekend there was a healing celebration.

Someone inside is sooooo angry. Not that this race does not deserve to be helped in this way. But so do we. We lost our chance. Screwed it up. Someone is very triggered over all of this. Some of it is too red dot and MT to go into but man oh man are they wound up. Last night someone wrote a letter to the Pope because the Bishop just ignores us.

Over 20 years ago we were having bad thoughts. T of the time said if we left imagine what we might miss out on. Well WTF would we have missed? Celiac? Sciatica? Inability to work? Lost more than ever? WTF?

Yes we are safe. For reasons we won't get into here. But f*ck this life sucks.ThumU Hitching a ride... anywhere

I have so many thoughts coming to mind, all relevant, but the order in which they are presented is just as important. There is common ground here, though I'm not assuming equivalency on a personal level because that would not be fair to either of us.

I have been alive to one degree or another, for 68 years. Never have I witnessed such barbarity, and the denial and rationalization which can justify it. If a people are a separate people (any aboriginal, for instance), a certain dehumanization or natural subordination occurs, such that it becomes permissible or legal to take their land, etc. It's an act of war. There is active genocide of a people until they are all but gone, or that is the intent. There is cultural extermination, because a people are in the way, or sufficiently different to give rise to exclusion from the human herd. What you refer to above is cultural extermination.

It is true that abuse can result from the above, as it can result from just being human, and in the wrong place (wrong parents, etc.). As far as I'm concern, human beings are at core both barbaric and gentle, with the balance in these times heading rapidly into uncontrolled barbarism.
While abuse is abuse, I personally cannot share your anger, and possibly jealousy, that you are not receiving like compensation or consideration, as it is being dispensed to unseated aboriginal peoples. It's a different sub-category of human h*ll, even though there were shared aspects. I'm not saying you're wrong.

In terms of damages. Sincere apologies are welcome, but don't make up for an erosion of a culture by forceful destruction of family units; of the attack on native language, hence, the story telling links from generation to generation.

Years ago (mid-1980s), my ex and I went on a road trip into the four corners region of the American Southwest. I didn't know where the heck I was in that desert wilderness that I have since grown to love so much. The gas station must have been on Indian land. It was the first time I had felt utterly hated because I was white. I was also clueless.
I went to NM to live, as you know, for about a year. It was part of my walkabout, which might end where I am now. I know the hitch a ride feeling. I'm nowhere, going nowhere.
Part of my inner eye and heart lives in high desert with mesas and paint horses and ravens, the light, a hidden promise that I didn't have the autonomy to approach as it flickers into nothing. I needed to be able to drive, have connections that would protect me, and possibly own a firearm. I had been warned. What I wanted to experience, might not come my way properly. Probably wouldn't. It's dying out like everything else that matters to me.
In our world, The Mysterious has not joined with the Technical......., and the results are apparent. That is my grief, part of it anyway. Not affiliated, no acceptable affiliation apparent, etc.

As a monomind, do I feel cheated because of childhood ab*s*? More than ever, as inner mining has shown me how much I lost. But, I don't feel that I should be included, even in a general sense, in compensations that have nothing to do with me. I know what you're saying. Separate compensations. I guess I feel that you cause yourself more p**n thinking without the category separation that comes easily for me. Or, cultural genocide is a different ball game. This is not a criticism in any way. Yeah, it's a way I protect myself. shrug.

take care,
tweeter
"Even the very emptiest of the emptiest
Has a false bottom, a false bottom."
(This post was last modified: 04-01-2014, 12:38 PM by tweeter.)
04-01-2014, 12:30 PM
Find Reply
tweeter Offline

Friendship/Support  RE: Cultural talk - no harm intended
Please read this post before my first answer.
RE second paragraph:
I was referring to general conditions in the world! I thought words to that effect, but obviously got distracted and didn't type them. Been one of those days, weeks, whatever.
I returned, as I often do, to reread after a while, to see how it reads. Oh boy. Sorry.
tweeter
04-01-2014, 05:24 PM
Find Reply
The People Offline

(04-01-2014, 12:30 PM)tweeter Wrote:
(03-31-2014, 10:33 PM)The People Wrote: I don't know if they had residential schools for First Nation (American Indian) kids down there but the feds along with a couple of churches decided a few generations back that the kids needed to be pulled out of their homes and live in residence where they were only allowed to speak English and too many other rules.

I have so many thoughts coming to mind, all relevant, but the order in which they are presented is just as important. There is common ground here, though I'm not assuming equivalency on a personal level because that would not be fair to either of us.

I have been alive to one degree or another, for 68 years. Never have I witnessed such barbarity, and the denial and rationalization which can justify it. If a people are a separate people (any aboriginal, for instance), a certain dehumanization or natural subordination occurs, such that it becomes permissible or legal to take their land, etc. It's an act of war. There is active genocide of a people until they are all but gone, or that is the intent. There is cultural extermination, because a people are in the way, or sufficiently different to give rise to exclusion from the human herd. What you refer to above is cultural extermination.

It is true that abuse can result from the above, as it can result from just being human, and in the wrong place (wrong parents, etc.). As far as I'm concern, human beings are at core both barbaric and gentle, with the balance in these times heading rapidly into uncontrolled barbarism.
While abuse is abuse, I personally cannot share your anger, and possibly jealousy, that you are not receiving like compensation or consideration, as it is being dispensed to unseated aboriginal peoples. It's a different sub-category of human h*ll, even though there were shared aspects. I'm not saying you're wrong.

In terms of damages. Sincere apologies are welcome, but don't make up for an erosion of a culture by forceful destruction of family units; of the attack on native language, hence, the story telling links from generation to generation.

Years ago (mid-1980s), my ex and I went on a road trip into the four corners region of the American Southwest. I didn't know where the heck I was in that desert wilderness that I have since grown to love so much. The gas station must have been on Indian land. It was the first time I had felt utterly hated because I was white. I was also clueless.
I went to NM to live, as you know, for about a year. It was part of my walkabout, which might end where I am now. I know the hitch a ride feeling. I'm nowhere, going nowhere.
Part of my inner eye and heart lives in high desert with mesas and paint horses and ravens, the light, a hidden promise that I didn't have the autonomy to approach as it flickers into nothing. I needed to be able to drive, have connections that would protect me, and possibly own a firearm. I had been warned. What I wanted to experience, might not come my way properly. Probably wouldn't. It's dying out like everything else that matters to me.
In our world, The Mysterious has not joined with the Technical......., and the results are apparent. That is my grief, part of it anyway. Not affiliated, no acceptable affiliation apparent, etc.

As a monomind, do I feel cheated because of childhood ab*s*? More than ever, as inner mining has shown me how much I lost. But, I don't feel that I should be included, even in a general sense, in compensations that have nothing to do with me. I know what you're saying. Separate compensations. I guess I feel that you cause yourself more p**n thinking without the category separation that comes easily for me. Or, cultural genocide is a different ball game. This is not a criticism in any way. Yeah, it's a way I protect myself. shrug.

take care,
tweeter

I was not wanting to be part of the ceremonies and other things that have gone on for the first nation people. It was just a reminder to me of the denial and inner hell I have faced. The RC church where I grew up settled with people. Apologies were made. I was not included. When I tried to face my family that opportunity was denied. I am not angry with first nation members. It has just stirred up my own hurt and loss. And other things I won't share here.
04-04-2014, 02:46 AM
Find Reply
The People Offline

(04-01-2014, 12:30 PM)tweeter Wrote:

take care,
tweeter

I was not looking to be included in their ceremonies. I know too many people from that culture and what was done to them. But so many times I try to get... anything. Nothing helps.
04-04-2014, 02:51 AM
Find Reply
tweeter Offline

"I was not wanting to be part of the ceremonies and other things that have gone on for the first nation people. It was just a reminder to me of the denial and inner hell I have faced. The RC church where I grew up settled with people. Apologies were made. I was not included. When I tried to face my family that opportunity was denied. I am not angry with first nation members. It has just stirred up my own hurt and loss. And other things I won't share here."

Thank you for your patience. You were clear, but I didn't get it, aside from understanding that you didn't need to join in those ceremonies. Because I don't feel as you do, and it was a stretch for me, but worth the effort.
tweeter
04-06-2014, 04:12 AM
Find Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Talk of death MT The People 2 2,088 10-01-2018, 08:31 PM
Last Post: The People
May trigger Devastated- contains talk of death Silent Society 10 7,487 12-21-2015, 04:13 PM
Caution May Trigger-Talk of death Tangled Web 4 3,374 01-05-2015, 07:12 PM
Last Post: Tangled Web
May trigger Talk of deaths The People 1 2,221 09-04-2013, 09:10 PM