situation in the UK (a little MT)
dreamers Offline

Threads: 104
Question  situation in the UK (a little MT)
we just heard about the floods in the uk. Does anyone know of any relief groups taking donations to help specifically the north uk? since our bff is in the uk ( devon) the littles are all like we have to do something now!!! what if the storms hit P next? P is in devon so as an adult I am pretty sure he'll be ok. but, i do share my little's desire to help. They wanted to offer to let P and his family come stay with us ( which is sweet but, just wont work on either side). so i told them that really the best way we can help is to give money to the groups of experts that are already there trying to help. but, then we cant find any ( been looking online for about an hour).

Which makes our littles all the more adamant to start one if we cant find one lol. any ideas of already working groups would really help calm them down, i really have no strong desire to navigate trying to start a relief group from CA especially because we have no knowledge of how one would do that. thanks
Favorite Quotes:" I didn't mean to be brave. It happened when I panicked"
-Piglet ( Winnie the Pooh)

" the Only difference between Bravery and stupidity is the context"
-unknown
02-17-2014, 06:25 AM
Find Reply
nats Offline
here and there..

Threads: 89
RE: situation in the UK (a little MT)
hi dreamers,
Devon is in the far southwest (i.e. south of Wales). it's a lovely, quite wealthy area. is this where you mean? One way to give money is described here:
http://www.westernmorningnews.co.uk/100-000-target-fund-help-Devon-flood-victims/story-20588853-detail/story.html

or

http://devoncf.com/how-to-give/devon-flood-fund/

if you want something more general, the British Red Cross may be best:
http://www.redcross.org.uk/About-us/News/2014/February/Volunteers-in-mass-response-to-floods-crisis
Blush Learn how to manage conflict, because the greater the level you can tolerate, the more freedom you will retain - E. Walsh Smile
(This post was last modified: 02-17-2014, 09:10 AM by nats.)
02-17-2014, 09:10 AM
Find Reply
dreamers Offline

thanks either of those is great. we are a little more upset because our friend/mentor told us the flooding was only in sommerset doubtless to not upset our littles. still he seems safe ( we were able to talk to him on the phone and online).we are in contact with a ch*rch group in the UK ( a big organization in more than a few places). they have agreed to let us come stay with them this summer and do charity work with them.

the littles really want to see now about asking them if any of their branches would be able to distribute goods if our local ch*rch raised money and had stuff sent from amazon uk to them( church group we know there). Who knows they might not be able to but, it doesn't hurt to ask. in the meantime we gave to the top group you suggested thanks

-unknown
02-18-2014, 12:12 AM
Find Reply
The People Offline
Long Time Member Who grew Up Here

Threads: 1,021
In Canada at least you can donate to the Red Cross and designate it for a certain area. As well, through what is known as the Episcopalian Church in the US (Anglican in Canada and Church of England there0 has what it called the Primates World Relief Development Fund. What they do is give money to agencies that are already on the ground in disaster areas. Hope your relatives are OK> Bad year for weather. Snow storms everywhere here and they have to make snow for the Olympics. But floods are soooo devastating and right now in Canada peoples insurance will most often not cover them.
I Am My Only Chance For A Hero!
02-18-2014, 04:09 AM
Find Reply
dreamers Offline

(02-18-2014, 04:09 AM)The People Wrote: In Canada at least you can donate to the Red Cross and designate it for a certain area. As well, through what is known as the Episcopalian Church in the US (Anglican in Canada and Church of England there0 has what it called the Primates World Relief Development Fund. What they do is give money to agencies that are already on the ground in disaster areas. Hope your relatives are OK> Bad year for weather. Snow storms everywhere here and they have to make snow for the Olympics. But floods are soooo devastating and right now in Canada peoples insurance will most often not cover them.

Thanks yes our best friend and most of his family seem ok. just found out that they have been staying in berkshire for a while helping some distant family and its not as wet there. P and his wife J are really closer to parents for us than our body's foo ever were. Unfornately, J has a sister in devon who did not come on the trip and they didnt know if she is ok.

I didnt know canada was hit by this too. i'll keep you guys in my thoughts as well

-unknown
02-18-2014, 08:48 AM
Find Reply
nats Offline
here and there..

Threads: 89
glad you found those helpful dreamers.

the weather here in Britain has been crazy - we've not been affected as we're not in any of the river/coastal areas that have flooded. there has been a lot of rain and bad winds though - wish we could send some of the rain to California!
Blush Learn how to manage conflict, because the greater the level you can tolerate, the more freedom you will retain - E. Walsh Smile
02-18-2014, 06:16 PM
Find Reply