Winter Olympics
MakersDozn Offline
MM Oldtimer

Threads: 186
Just talking  Winter Olympics
Coverage of the Winter Olympics seems to be everywhere. Where we work, they're showing it on the TV in the cafeteria. So we get snippets of figure skating and women's hockey....And could someone from Canada please explain what curling is?

We're actually not much into individual sports, Olympic or not. We much prefer team sports like baseball and (American) football. And we're kind of keeping track of the hockey, because our father's a big hockey fan and we'd like to be able to have a conversation with him.

Are you watching the Olympics? If so, what's your favorite sport? Are you keeping track of the medal count for any particular countries? If you're not watching, what is it about the Olympics that doesn't interest you?

MDs
02-12-2014, 04:41 PM
Website Find Reply
Tangled Web Offline

Threads: 169
RE: Winter Olympics
LMAO!
Ummm I am not a curling fan, but curling to my understanding is when you have 2 teams on ice. They are competing to see who can get there rock "that is the name of the thing they throw" closest to the bull eye thing at the end of the ice. You have one team member who throws the rock and the other sweeps the ice to make the rock go faster or change the direction of where the rock is going. They throw those rocks so they glide on the ice. The team that closest to the bulls eye gets the points. You try to block other players from bumping your "rock" off the board (ice) with there rocks. Hope that helps
I know Canada has won a few metals. I like watching the gymnastics and figure skating. All the people have it on there TV's at work also. I don't watch much of it when I am home.
"You may not remember what someone says or does, but you will never forget how they made you feel" Mac Anderson.
02-12-2014, 04:56 PM
Find Reply
mosaic Offline
just another one of us

Threads: 131
i'm pretty avid about figure skating... i have enjoyed watching some of the outdoor stuff on the slopes. my description of curling: shuffleboard on ice... my husband likes it so i've watched a bit, but i can only take so much

i'm not much into the medal count thing
02-12-2014, 05:11 PM
Find Reply
Tangled Web Offline

Threads: 169
That is a great description. I couldn't think of the word shuffleboard but that is exactly what it is Smile on ice
"You may not remember what someone says or does, but you will never forget how they made you feel" Mac Anderson.
02-12-2014, 05:35 PM
Find Reply
MakersDozn Offline
MM Oldtimer

Just talking  RE: Winter Olympics
Thank you both for responding. We believe that Canada now has 10 gold medals, and the US has nine. Haven't kept track of the other countries.

There's a sports bar in the commuter rail station we go to in Midtown Manhattan. We never go into the bar, but sometimes we peek at what's on the TVs. One had women's hockey and the other had what we think was curling.

(Pause while we google a photo of curling just to check.)

Yep, that was what we saw.

MDs
02-12-2014, 05:54 PM
Website Find Reply
MakersDozn Offline
MM Oldtimer

Agree  RE: Winter Olympics
(02-12-2014, 05:11 PM)mosaic Wrote: my description of curling: shuffleboard on ice...

Yeah, that's a good comparison. Smile

MDs
02-12-2014, 05:56 PM
Website Find Reply
john/hope Offline
^^

Threads: 3
have you guys seen the hotel conditions? and the conditions of sochi? its very funny lol :3
-hope
02-12-2014, 09:07 PM
Find Reply
MakersDozn Offline
MM Oldtimer

Just talking  RE: Winter Olympics
(02-12-2014, 09:07 PM)john/hope Wrote: have you guys seen the hotel conditions? and the conditions of sochi? its very funny lol :3
-hope

Haven't seen any photos, but we hear that the sanitary conditions are....less than ideal. Ew.

The other big story is sports announcer Bob Costas, who's covered the Olympics for over 20 years, getting a bad case of pinkeye. We had it once as a teenager, but it cleared up in a few days.

MDs
02-13-2014, 12:30 PM
Website Find Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Doing okay Winter Storm Nemo MakersDozn 6 4,748 02-17-2013, 11:13 PM
Last Post: The Warren