Successes at Work
MakersDozn Offline
MM Oldtimer

Threads: 186
Doing okay  Successes at Work
This past week we celebrated our 25th anniversary at work. We work for one of the best-known nonprofit organizations in the US. Our colleagues were kind enough to acknowledge our milestone with a gift at our department's holiday potluck on Friday.

Also, we just received a status upgrade to our job, effective December 1st. A staff restructure had been followed by a review and update of job titles and descriptions for all staff. We ourselves had been fighting for ten years to get our job upgraded from non-exempt to exempt status, and we were finally successful in doing so. By expanding the technology component of our work, and clarifying the decision-making responsibility of our duties, we were able to convince management that the upgrade was warranted.

There was also significant compensation involved. Smile

So, we'd like to celebrate, and we invite folks here to join us in celebrating.

MDs
12-15-2013, 04:25 PM
Website Find Reply
nats Offline
here and there..

Threads: 89
RE: Successes at Work
Congratulations!!!! No idea what exempt means, but additional compensation is always good Smile
Blush Learn how to manage conflict, because the greater the level you can tolerate, the more freedom you will retain - E. Walsh Smile
12-15-2013, 05:11 PM
Find Reply
Tangled Web Offline

Threads: 169
That is AWESOME NEWS MDs. We are so happy for you! CONGRATULATIONS!! Smile
TW
"You may not remember what someone says or does, but you will never forget how they made you feel" Mac Anderson.
12-15-2013, 06:41 PM
Find Reply
MakersDozn Offline
MM Oldtimer

Friendship/Support  RE: Successes at Work
Thanks, nats and TW.

FYI:

Administratively exempt work typically involves the exercise of discretion and judgment, with the authority to make independent decisions on matters which affect the business as a whole or a significant part of it.

(from http://www.flsa.com/coverage.html)

MDs
12-15-2013, 07:27 PM
Website Find Reply
mosaic Offline
just another one of us

Threads: 131
congratulations MDs! that is a wonderful accomplishment! and the additional compensation doesn't hurt i'm sure
12-15-2013, 07:45 PM
Find Reply
MakersDozn Offline
MM Oldtimer

Doing okay  RE: Successes at Work
Thanks, mosaic!

MDs
12-15-2013, 09:09 PM
Website Find Reply
nats Offline
here and there..

Threads: 89
(12-15-2013, 07:27 PM)MakersDozn Wrote: Administratively exempt work typically involves the exercise of discretion and judgment, with the authority to make independent decisions on matters which affect the business as a whole or a significant part of it.

(from http://www.flsa.com/coverage.html)

ah thanks, that is a new term for me. again, WELL DONE!!!
Blush Learn how to manage conflict, because the greater the level you can tolerate, the more freedom you will retain - E. Walsh Smile
12-16-2013, 04:24 AM
Find Reply
Katz Krew Offline

Threads: 9
Congrats MDs! Good for you for not giving up when they kept saying no to the reclassification.

<_3
Jamie of Katz Krew
Heart
Jamie for Katz Krew

A Krew of many now blended as one.

Beauty is accepting yourself regardless of other people's acceptance of you.
~~Thich Nhat Hanh
12-16-2013, 04:24 AM
Find Reply
The People Offline
Long Time Member Who grew Up Here

Threads: 1,021
(12-15-2013, 04:25 PM)MakersDozn Wrote: This past week we celebrated our 25th anniversary at work. We work for one of the best-known nonprofit organizations in the US. Our colleagues were kind enough to acknowledge our milestone with a gift at our department's holiday potluck on Friday.

Also, we just received a status upgrade to our job, effective December 1st. A staff restructure had been followed by a review and update of job titles and descriptions for all staff. We ourselves had been fighting for ten years to get our job upgraded from non-exempt to exempt status, and we were finally successful in doing so. By expanding the technology component of our work, and clarifying the decision-making responsibility of our duties, we were able to convince management that the upgrade was warranted.

There was also significant compensation involved. Smile

So, we'd like to celebrate, and we invite folks here to join us in celebrating.

MDs

Congratulations MD. You deserve a celebration for being such a reliable dedicated employee. I am curious re the gift but I guess you will tell us if you want to know. May the rest of your years there be worth celebrating as well.

Attached Files Image(s)

I Am My Only Chance For A Hero!
12-16-2013, 04:26 AM
Find Reply
MakersDozn Offline
MM Oldtimer

Thanks, The People and Katz Krew.

The gift was Yankees-related, and we told everyone that it was obviously chosen by someone who knows us well. (The person later identified herself.) There was a throw pillow (with the Yankees "NY") in the shape of a baseball; a collectible Yankees mug; and a Yankees Shop gift card (which we almost didn't see, as it was at the bottom of a large gift bag).

MDs
12-21-2013, 09:48 PM
Website Find Reply
tweeter Offline

Threads: 24
Happy  RE: Successes at Work
Wow!!! Smile

You are super people, and I'm glad that's getting recognized.

I'm very very happy for you.
tweets Sno1
"Even the very emptiest of the emptiest
Has a false bottom, a false bottom."
12-26-2013, 03:52 PM
Find Reply
MakersDozn Offline
MM Oldtimer

(12-26-2013, 03:52 PM)tweeter Wrote: I'm very very happy for you.

Thanks!

VariousChirps
12-26-2013, 06:25 PM
Website Find Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Doing okay We did some volunteer work today The People 1 1,866 05-16-2016, 05:49 AM
Last Post: nats
  Back to work Tangled Web 7 5,503 07-27-2015, 06:42 AM
Last Post: aswiss186
  Physical work is also emotional work The People 2 2,293 07-19-2014, 03:51 PM
Last Post: mosaic