Bought Our First Printer....
MakersDozn Offline
MM Oldtimer

Threads: 186
Doing okay  Bought Our First Printer....

We've had PCs at home since 1995, but never a printer. Never had the space for one, and we could always print at work. But now we want the convenience of printing at home.

Actually, we bought it a couple of weeks ago, but have been too tired to set it up until today (we just started a staycation). So far, so good.

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/jsp/Product.do?sku=C11CC87201

MDs
11-23-2013, 10:49 PM
Website Find Reply
Tangled Web Offline

Threads: 169
RE: Bought Our First Printer....
That looks like a very cool printer MDs, great job on setting it up, hope it works well for yous!
TW
"You may not remember what someone says or does, but you will never forget how they made you feel" Mac Anderson.
11-24-2013, 02:07 AM
Find Reply
mosaic Offline
just another one of us

Threads: 131
very cool. enjoy the convenience
11-24-2013, 09:28 AM
Find Reply
nats Offline
here and there..

Threads: 89
looks like a nice one Smile!
Blush Learn how to manage conflict, because the greater the level you can tolerate, the more freedom you will retain - E. Walsh Smile
11-24-2013, 06:01 PM
Find Reply
MakersDozn Offline
MM Oldtimer

Doing okay  RE: Bought Our First Printer....
Thanks, everyone.

Our next task is to upgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1. But that's for another thread.

MDs
11-24-2013, 07:56 PM
Website Find Reply
tweeter Offline

Threads: 24
Printer looks lovely.

Can't wait to hear about 8.1. Angel

tweets
"Even the very emptiest of the emptiest
Has a false bottom, a false bottom."
11-26-2013, 04:35 AM
Find Reply
MakersDozn Offline
MM Oldtimer

Just talking  RE: Bought Our First Printer....
Gonna keep the Win 8.1 discussion here at this time, since it directly involves the printer. It wouldn't print after we'd upgraded to 8.1. Apparently, according to the first tech fidiot that we spoke to on the phone, Epson doesn't have a driver available for 8.1. And according to Fidiot Number 2, who was a supervisor and only slightly less fidiotic, there was no timeline as to when/if a driver for 8.1 would be available.

Despite the driver issue, Fidiot Number 2 was able to figure out what was causing the problem. Apparently the printer was listed twice under Devices, and it was the second listing that would work correctly. We deleted the first listing.

We also downloaded a PDF creation program (much cheaper than Adobe, and seemingly sufficient for our needs). We have the free trial, and as long as everything continues to work, we'll pay for the license before the trial expires.

Thanks,

Laura and others
11-26-2013, 09:08 PM
Website Find Reply
tweeter Offline

Threads: 24
(11-26-2013, 09:08 PM)MakersDozn Wrote: Gonna keep the Win 8.1 discussion here at this time, since it directly involves the printer. It wouldn't print after we'd upgraded to 8.1. Apparently, according to the first tech fidiot that we spoke to on the phone, Epson doesn't have a driver available for 8.1. And according to Fidiot Number 2, who was a supervisor and only slightly less fidiotic, there was no timeline as to when/if a driver for 8.1 would be available.

Despite the driver issue, Fidiot Number 2 was able to figure out what was causing the problem. Apparently the printer was listed twice under Devices, and it was the second listing that would work correctly. We deleted the first listing.

We also downloaded a PDF creation program (much cheaper than Adobe, and seemingly sufficient for our needs). We have the free trial, and as long as everything continues to work, we'll pay for the license before the trial expires.

Thanks,

Laura and others

Ya know, I think I had the same problem with my printer many moons ago..... listed twice...... The problem was solved. Scenario familiar.
I was getting silly, out of need for some sweetness and light in my life. When I first read "... a PDF creation program...," my bird brain just didn't get it, and my thought was, "Ah, a creation program! Does it rest on the seventh day?" I'm not kidding.

I called Apple corporate Tues. morning. My research call to find out if I could get a good quality, stable laptop that did not include any touch screen features, had an intuitively friendly operating system, and allowed me to avoid invasive and manic graphics. You used to have to click the mouse to access an ad or menu. Now, it's increasingly like walking thru a mine field. (FM later told me that the latter concern had to do with individual websites. I'll probably be changing my home page from Yahoo to BBC News.)
I didn't feel well-served by this guy. I felt the prices were ridiculous, and didn't include extras. I didn't get a warm and fuzzy feeling. The final straw was when he told me Microsoft is so unstable that school children could hack into my computer at any time, but!, this never happens with Apple computers. No one can hack into them. I let him talk. It was like a repeat of the crisis talk I've been getting with my debit card situation.

I have no great love for Microsoft sloppiness. But, my feelings might be said to be industry-wide, human species-wide.

Seriously, I am appreciative of your experiences with the Microsoft OS, and its forced accommodation to the resistance of business community to a departure from XP format (if that's the right word).

tweets
"Even the very emptiest of the emptiest
Has a false bottom, a false bottom."
11-27-2013, 02:41 AM
Find Reply
MakersDozn Offline
MM Oldtimer

Friendship/Support  RE: Bought Our First Printer....
(11-27-2013, 02:41 AM)tweeter Wrote: I was getting silly, out of need for some sweetness and light in my life. When I first read "... a PDF creation program...," my bird brain just didn't get it, and my thought was, "Ah, a creation program! Does it rest on the seventh day?" I'm not kidding.

Bwahahahahaha!!!!! Smile

We're familiar with the invasive ads on Yahoo!. They're really annoying, but not (yet) enough to make us change our homepage.

As for the Apple guy that you spoke to, he's right about Macs being less vulnerable to nasties. But we still don't like Macs. We find them extremely counterintuitive, depsite what all the Appleheads say. We prefer the taxonomical way that Windows uses to organize things.

MDs
11-27-2013, 02:24 PM
Website Find Reply
The People Offline
Long Time Member Who grew Up Here

Threads: 1,021
We have an Epson. Are very pleased with it. Ours is a WP-4540 but we don't have a land line to fax with it. Thought we would need to fax for a job that lasted long enough to break in the black ink. Fax has wifi as well but... not very techie. Ah well. OSmeday we will use it.
I Am My Only Chance For A Hero!
11-28-2013, 02:48 AM
Find Reply
MakersDozn Offline
MM Oldtimer

Doing okay  RE: Bought Our First Printer....
We have ours on a shelf that's about the height of the top of our head (5'2"). The printer has a little tray that can be pulled forward to catch the pages as they complete printing. We don't want to keep the tray pulled forward when we're not using it, lest we bump our head.

So we forget to pull the tray when we are printing, and the printed pages fall onto the floor - or onto our head. Tongue

MDs
11-28-2013, 03:55 PM
Website Find Reply