Wikipedia. A surprise!
tweeter Offline

Threads: 24
Caution  Wikipedia. A surprise!
I use Wikipedia a lot. Often I copy and paste parts of their articles, e-mailing this material to myself.

Some time ago, I registered -- User ID and Password, which I generally don't use because there hasn't been a request for Log On that I can recall. Today, they requested it. The article I was looking at (about a foreign celebrity) remained onscreen. I figured I could read it either way, but chose to log on.

They had separate headings in smaller print on the same line as Log Off, at page top. You'll never guess what I found?
This particular word was in blue (like a link!), and was the distinctive name of one of my personal e-mail file folders dealing with creative thinking. I have probably, most certainly, copied and pasted parts of Wiki articles into e-mail under that heading, as well as lots of other headings. What I was looking up today went to a different file. My e-mail account title does Not contain this word.

No, I did not click on what I'm quite certain was a link into my e-mail account. If confronted by something like this, I won't seek to reinforce it electronically. I should have copied the page. Maybe I'll go back and do that now.

I don't know if anyone who has registered with Wikipedia, and signed on recently, has had this happen. Or is it, if I remember correctly, that I openly supported a controversial cause in the past, and so forth.

I'm stunned.
tweeter
"Even the very emptiest of the emptiest
Has a false bottom, a false bottom."
(This post was last modified: 11-09-2013, 02:18 PM by tweeter.)
11-09-2013, 02:16 PM
Find Reply
tweeter Offline

Doing okay  RE: Wikipedia. A surprise!
(11-09-2013, 02:16 PM)tweeter Wrote: I use Wikipedia a lot. Often I copy and paste parts of their articles, e-mailing this material to myself.

Some time ago, I registered -- User ID and Password, which I generally don't use because there hasn't been a request for Log On that I can recall. Today, they requested it. The article I was looking at (about a foreign celebrity) remained onscreen. I figured I could read it either way, but chose to log on.

They had separate headings in smaller print on the same line as Log Off, at page top. You'll never guess what I found?
This particular word was in blue (like a link!), and was the distinctive name of one of my personal e-mail file folders dealing with creative thinking. I have probably, most certainly, copied and pasted parts of Wiki articles into e-mail under that heading, as well as lots of other headings. What I was looking up today went to a different file. My e-mail account title does Not contain this word.

No, I did not click on what I'm quite certain was a link into my e-mail account. If confronted by something like this, I won't seek to reinforce it electronically. I should have copied the page. Maybe I'll go back and do that now.

I don't know if anyone who has registered with Wikipedia, and signed on recently, has had this happen. Or is it, if I remember correctly, that I openly supported a controversial cause in the past, and so forth.

I'm stunned.
tweeter

Oh heck! I went back and clicked on the link.
I guess nuttier things have happened.
I wasn't transported to my e-mail pages.

Instead they have a setup for registered members, which goes by the same name as a file I use in my email, with the same purpose: Notes and creative thinking, in this case, possibly in prep. for a Wiki article.

Oh, good grief. Sno1
11-09-2013, 02:41 PM
Find Reply
The People Offline
Long Time Member Who grew Up Here

Threads: 1,021
RE: Wikipedia. A surprise!
Ah well. At least you went back to investigate instead of closing the file and convincing yourself that it was one part of the huge conspiracy theory that gets kicked around. I am very vocal re my gov't and yours on Facebook. I have a friend and we think in a similar vein (went to school together back in the day). We have great laughs at the expense of many dodo birds that nest among our leaders. I suspect that some day there will be a knock at my door. 2 men with dark glasses and trench coats will be standing there with gov't ID. "Come with us please". I just hope they give me time to get out of my pjs. LOL! Easy to obsess on such things when they make it look so easy on TV to spy on everyone on every computer. If they are, come and get me. I am just a heckler in the balcony. http://ca.video.search.yahoo.com/video/play?p=youtube+muppets+hecklers&vid=12eb5f9785438ec650d381bf2de7368e&l=7%3A01&turl=http%3A%2F%2Fts2.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DV.4604493920534581%26pid%3D15.1&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DSK6TVqbsKVk&tit=Statler+and+Waldorf+compilation&c=7&sigr=11ah1o5dp&sigt=10vj75dfk&ct=p&age=0&&tt=b
I Am My Only Chance For A Hero!
11-09-2013, 03:03 PM
Find Reply
tweeter Offline

Hi. I greet you from the land of bad cold or mild flu (if such a thing exists). Indeed docs can't know the difference for sure unless a test is done within the first couple of days of onset. I got that sensible-sounding info from Center For Disease Control & Prevention. I seem to be doing all right.

You have a lightheartedness about you that is quite unlike me, for whom things are quite serious indeed. Not that I'm expecting trench coats at the door. It depends where you are, and what you are to whomever. I give myself time to be joyful.

There are, indeed, conspiracies/alliances for money and power on a scale that I have not seen before, some exhibiting what I see as depraved indifference. Natural human behavior, unfortunately. It's the degree that has gotten my attention. The reason for proliferation is overly rapid communication and sloppy control of technology, along with a lack of leadership and growing deterioration of rational law. There seems to be no way to escape the electronic paper trail (including records from disliked docs (the feeling was mutual), incorrect records, etc.).
We had the Stone Age, and so forth. This is the Age of Denial. I am an intuitive generalist, who is grounded in my humanity. It's the connection between the two that's tricky.

Google has pulled a fast one on consumers, all for their own good (convenience). There was quite a stink on this in a Yahoo blog. I howled with them. In G-mail, they've foisted some automatic file folders on the system (Promotions, Updates, etc.). So some of my mail automatically goes into those folders, from which I remove it. Much of this so-called organization is ridiculous. One can let it overtake your ways, or work around it. Just a little inept mail sorting? Sure. What else can they do at the drop of a hat?

Before, I could just log on to G-mail; now it's an automatic log on to the Google empire. So, I'm automatically in Youtunes, for instance. I have a good habit of signing out from most sites when I depart. Well, if I sign out of Youtunes, I'm automatically signed off from G-mail. My G-mail is generally on for the duration of my computer session. Also, as I understood it from way back, I didn't have the same privacy concerns when signing on to G-mail only.
I don't think it's difficult to make the jump from this sort of stuff to a link that appears on Wiki which is identical to a folder in my G-mail. Wiki isn't Google, but you get the drift.

I'm also technically simplistic. I have on occasion clicked the wrong thingie (especially when confronted with a sudden popup that I want gone immediately), only to be stuck permanently with a more advanced version of a computer program, for instance. I could barely handle the one I had. There's other stuff going on with a waning Windows XP computer which I love, that makes the validity of any website suspect, even Microsoft updates.

Last, but not least, I'm already in a battle, more than one. The ones against: 1. An almost species-wide state of denial; 2. need for entertainment or distraction that is epidemic in nature; and, 3. the popularization of gr*ph*cally intense material (again on an alarming scale) in TV, news or movies, and video games, which is habituating people to things that just go too far........ I leave these to other people. I tried with #1. A thankless task, though it's hard to see friendships eroded by this and not try to do something. I can't be the remedy.

We're comin' from different places. I appreciate what you brought to this thread. I took time to absorb it as it was meant before answering. Thanks,
tweeter
(This post was last modified: 11-14-2013, 05:19 PM by tweeter.)
11-14-2013, 05:10 PM
Find Reply
nats Offline
here and there..

Threads: 89
(11-14-2013, 05:10 PM)tweeter Wrote: ...1. An almost species-wide state of denial; 2. need for entertainment or distraction that is epidemic in nature; and, 3. the popularization of gr*ph*cally intense material (again on an alarming scale) in TV, news or movies, and video games, which is habituating people to things that just go too far........ I leave these to other people. I tried with #1. A thankless task, though it's hard to see friendships eroded by this and not try to do something...

hi tweeter, sorry this is off your main topic, but would really be interested in your thoughts on the connections between erosion of friendships and almost species-wide denial? i.e. to see if i understood correctly and if it fits recent personal experiences.
Blush Learn how to manage conflict, because the greater the level you can tolerate, the more freedom you will retain - E. Walsh Smile
11-15-2013, 04:30 AM
Find Reply
MakersDozn Offline
MM Oldtimer

Threads: 186
Friendship/Support  RE: Wikipedia. A surprise!
tweeter,

Sorry you don't feel well. The abrupt changes in the weather often do a number on us. Don't know if that's what happened to you, but we're uploading you some virtual soup and virtual Kleenex.

We're not thrilled with how one Google login logs you into everything there, but we understand from a tech standpoint. We had a heck of a time deliberately unlinking YouTube and Hangouts and whatever else they're taking over the world with. We don't want people to be able to follow us all over the Internet. So we have different Google-owned services under the same login, but none of the services shows any of the other services that we have.

Hope you feel better soon.

MDs
11-15-2013, 08:58 PM
Website Find Reply
tweeter Offline

Friendship/Support  RE: Wikipedia. A surprise!
Huh MD friends, you so left me in the dust with your Google lecture. You must have known that. We know how futile it would be for you to pursue this matter. I celebrate your success.

Thanks for soup and Kleenex. Both needed. Much better, but not over sporadic snotdom yet.
tweets Sno1
11-26-2013, 04:30 AM
Find Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Your Biggest Surprise? MakersDozn 18 11,860 08-24-2015, 08:53 PM
Last Post: MakersDozn