Sometimes it is good
The People Offline
Long Time Member Who grew Up Here

Threads: 1,021
Music  Sometimes it is good
To make other people happy. Today was my friend's 85th birthday. Her husband and son have never made much of it. Her husband is in extended care but her son was visiting when I dropped by the other day. I asked what he had planned for her birthday and he had no plans. I suggested supped.

We went to a restaurant and while I didn't like it the first time I went it was good this time. What was better was her reaction.

"This is the best birthday I have had in a long time!" I was so happy. I was happier that her son picked up the cheque instead of waiting for her to do it.

She wanted me to go home with her but I have been dealing with stuff for a few days and needed down time.

Anyone wanna loan me $1000 bucks?

Seriously, we never know what small thing will uplift another person. Her husband has gone into long term care. Prior to that she broke a hip. She needed this boost. I am so glad that the pharmacy staff reminded me of her special day.

Happy birthday dear friend. We never know what small thing will be huge for someone else. I couldn't really afford the book but... ah well.

Attached Files Image(s)

I Am My Only Chance For A Hero!
10-18-2018, 02:11 AM
Find Reply
mosaic Offline
just another one of us

Threads: 131
RE: Sometimes it is good
what a lovely experience for both of you. and you're right, a lot of times doing something kind for someone else will lift our own spirits.

in fact we know we're really badly off if we have the opposite reaction (and we have)
10-18-2018, 08:37 AM
Find Reply
The People Offline

I always feel like I am bragging when I tell these stories. However, it prompted her son to step up. That in itself was good. She is a woman who loves to be pampered and her husband and son have always been the types to let such days go by. I got a good meal out of it so it was a good trade off.
10-19-2018, 03:39 PM
Find Reply
mosaic Offline
just another one of us

Threads: 131
it's wonderful when you share these stories. and good for you for getting her son to step up. it's sad to think that he will probably need such promptings in the future - given that he is like is father in that way.

i agree with you it was a good trade off
10-20-2018, 06:34 PM
Find Reply
The People Offline

She may not have many years left but I will do my best to make it annual. Especially since I had excellent salmon with blueberry sauce. Wink
10-20-2018, 11:23 PM
Find Reply