Had a little scare - mt Med
mosaic Offline
just another one of us

Threads: 131
Had a little scare - mt Med
I went in for my annual mammogram and got the standard “no problem” letter a week later.
Two weeks after that I get a call from a Dr. stating that the wrong letter was sent to me, and there is something she wants to look at more closely and could I come in for another mammogram.

I have a family history of breast cancer (my sister just recently got it, our mother had it twice, her sister had it and their mother – my grandmother – had it). I was a little shaken up to put it mildly.

I went in for the second mammogram, and the Dr. was there and she looked at it and wanted to do a sonogram as well. During the sonogram she said, “It’s just a couple of benign cysts”.

I’ve never been so relieved.
03-18-2017, 11:09 PM
Find Reply
nats Offline
here and there..

Threads: 89
RE: Had a little scare - mt Med
hooray that it was nothing serious! we don't get mamograms here till we're a decade or so older, but we still struggle to go in for pap smears. wish they would just test us for HPV instead!
Blush Learn how to manage conflict, because the greater the level you can tolerate, the more freedom you will retain - E. Walsh Smile
03-21-2017, 10:07 AM
Find Reply
Cammy Offline

Threads: 98
I am the biggest AVOIDER ever. I just can't go in for mammograms. As for PAP smears, this is very hard for us unless it is a female doctor (due to my trauma history). I am glad that you are okay mosaic, but it really bothers me that they told you at first your scan was okay, then got hold of you two weeks later to tell you it wasn't. Maybe they should wait until the radiologist actually studies the scan thoroughly before calling people with the wrong information. I can't believe the amount of anxiety this must have caused you after they initially told you the scans were clear. To get that second phone call must have terrified you, and I am so sorry you had to go through that. I'm just relieved that you are okay. Time to treat yourself to something nice to make up for all the jangled nerves.
Heart
Disclaimer: Any words or phrases used in our posts are meant in a completely respectful manner. Please know that we always endeavour to be kind and supportive.
03-23-2017, 12:47 PM
Find Reply
mosaic Offline
just another one of us

Threads: 131
thanks, nats and Igraine.

yeah, we were really shook up with the phone call, but feel okay now that we know that it's okay.
03-23-2017, 01:50 PM
Find Reply
nats Offline
here and there..

Threads: 89
i guess from their perspective the priority was to get you the treatment you might need as quickly as possible so anxiety would be secondary. glad you're feeling better!
Blush Learn how to manage conflict, because the greater the level you can tolerate, the more freedom you will retain - E. Walsh Smile
03-24-2017, 02:00 PM
Find Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do you treat new med nausea? The People 4 3,258 12-08-2016, 08:11 AM
Last Post: Cammy