Who reads in your world?
The People Offline
Long Time Member Who grew Up Here

Threads: 1,021
Other/All/Unsure   Who reads in your world?
In the book I am writing I have stated that "books are my favorite toy" Over the years we have noticed how quiet it becomes inside when we read. Either everyone is being attention or they have wandered off out of boredom.

Right now we are reading a wrinkle in time. A bit sci fi if you haven't read it but not overly so. Two got it for Christmas. She does not like "baby books" although when we got the picture book ersion of 'The Best Christmas Pageant Ever' it took half an hour to get through it as Two had to show kitty all of the pictures and to discuss them at length.

Even our root person hovers when we read. Sometimes it is 5 minutes before we fall asleep in the bath. Sometimes we will read for ages. No matter the topic it brings internal peace (we do avoid anything disturbing although there are swear words)

Just wondering if others find this to be a group thing. Also identifying it as possible way of settling the group down if people have not tried it. It might take practice if you are presently an avoider of books.

And does anyone have other recommendation? Chapter books. We tried Lion Witch and Wardrobe but it didn't take. Read all of the Harry Potter and Through the Looking Glass with amazing photos that caused it to take months to get through the story. A Wrinkle in Time has others to go with it and we will look for those but e like to mix it up.
01-15-2015, 06:21 PM
Find Reply
orek Offline

Threads: 12
RE: Who reads in your world?
Yes, reading has a profound effect on us, too. We used to have our Ivy (I.V. for Irish Voice) read aloud to the kids because we all loved to hear her accent (and upfronters loved to feel how the feel/shape of the throat, tongue and mouth changed with the Irish dialect... or the imitation thereof). We were just talking about that with our wife and thinking we should do that again. We read Wrinkle in Time long ago then again in recent years. To me it has the usual preachy obigatory lesson (and in that case, Christian) in the end that all kids books did when the body was young. I much prefer young adult/kids books nowadays. There are some awesome ones! To start:

--The Mysterious Benedict Society trilogy
--Alan Bradley series featuring the protagonist Flavia de Luce, an awesome, fun little girl. (The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie is the name of the first in that series, I believe.)
--A wonderful British author, Terry Pratchett, who has a Discworld series we all love, also has some kids books that are great, name the Wee Free Men ones. They are hilarious! I can't think of the titles off-hand, but they can be Googled. Some involve a young witch (good, nature kind) named Tiffany.
01-18-2015, 02:43 PM
Find Reply
The People Offline
Long Time Member Who grew Up Here

Threads: 1,021
RE: Who reads in your world?
The littles don't seem to care for picture books except for 1 or 2 that were gifts. As for the Christian aspect of it we don't mind it. For us it is the same 'good versus evil' type of story that one finds in Harry Potter books although I don't think Christianity is ever mentioned openly there.

Have not heard of any of the books you have mentioned. Perhaps we will just have to go to Chapters and sift through the young peoples section. As with adult books we all have different tastes in books. Someone here does the voices as well when we read to outside littles.
I Am My Only Chance For A Hero!
01-21-2015, 02:49 AM
Find Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Connecting in the Singleton World MakersDozn 12 8,508 09-13-2015, 11:10 AM
Last Post: MakersDozn
  The world is learning what we have known for years The People 0 2,001 05-19-2015, 11:36 PM
Last Post: The People