Purging the past
The People Offline
Long Time Member Who grew Up Here

Threads: 1,021
Other/All/Unsure   Purging the past
We got rid of a lot of stuff before we moved. However, once we were here we realized that more had to go. We started getting rid of things given to us by people who have hurt us. Who walked out of our lives because of their own reasons. (The Ocean if you are reading we don't mean you). Old friends who are no longer friends,. Or pretend to still be friends but things are so not what they were when we were given the gifts (a tea pot for example.

Some stuff came from an old T who hurt Peak badly. She rarely comes out anymore except to help Two write. As we were dividing up Christmas ornaments today we found one she gave us. We ended up deciding to keep that one. We like Jasper the Bear and he came at a time when things were good. We tossed other things.

It is like purging. Not the purging as in ED. Purging as in letting go. There have been tears with some of it and some stuff that we just couldn't toss. A few things came from FOO. We almost tossed them but they were sent to us at a time when I was still trying to be part of a family. So they will stay. For now anyway.

We cried. We have cried a lot through this process. At times we thought we were going to lose it completely. We didn't though. We are still here. And I think we are stronger for it.

However, while we have also made progress in the apartment it is still a f*ck*ng mess.
I Am My Only Chance For A Hero!
02-10-2014, 12:19 AM
Find Reply
Reilly Offline

Threads: 32
Happy  RE: Purging the past
Hi The People.
It must be refreshing to let go of items you no longer need or want. I often joke that if I move again, I will simply leave with the clothes on my back. Seriously though, we all have cherished items we could never part with. Sometimes while cleaning, I will review what I have, and let go of certain things if they are simply taking up space. That feels good. Less clutter.
Good for you. Hope things are positive in your new place.
02-10-2014, 03:26 PM
Find Reply
mosaic Offline
just another one of us

Threads: 131
RE: Purging the past
we tend to be of the pack-rat mentality and so we really struggle to let go of things. hats off to you for doing it - we know it is hard, painful even, especially when there is such deep emotional significance to some items.

making order out of the chaos of moving does take time. we know you'll get there.
02-10-2014, 03:43 PM
Find Reply
MakersDozn Offline
MM Oldtimer

Threads: 186
Friendship/Support  RE: Purging the past
The People,

Glad the move went well. Good for you for getting rid of stuff that you no longer need.

MDs
02-10-2014, 07:18 PM
Website Find Reply
The People Offline
Long Time Member Who grew Up Here

Threads: 1,021
RE: Purging the past
Thanks everybody
I Am My Only Chance For A Hero!
02-12-2014, 11:11 PM
Find Reply

Possibly Related Threads...