whats up ?
Marley Offline

Threads: 2
Question  whats up ?
hi all and more

As the most recent newbee, I read this site is a spin-off from a dying site.
I see the stats show over 500 members, but it only seems as if there is half a dozen active members.
Willing to support a site, but finding it diffictlt when there are many days without any activity at all.

Just trying to work it out.

Sorry for the grumble
12-15-2013, 08:36 AM
Find Reply
MakersDozn Offline
MM Oldtimer

Threads: 186
News/Information  RE: whats up ?
Hi Marley,

We're glad that you want to become active in our community.

To clarify this site's history: In the 1990s, one of the first and most successful online communities for people dealing with dissociation was a site called Divided Hearts. In 1999, the site's founder decided to move on to other endeavors, and she turned over the reins to a dedicated group of site volunteers. These volunteers worked hard to give the site a "facelift" and reopen it in August 1999 as Mosaic Minds.

Since then, with the hard work of volunteers, Mosaic Minds has continued to thrive as one of the most enduring and successful (if not the most successful) sites for the dissociative community. Members and volunteers may come and go, but there remains a dedicated core group, including several of us who have been around since the days of Divided Hearts.

Of course, as time progresses, so does technology, and the need to keep up with technology resulted in the second "facelift" of the site in 2011-2012. This update to our design and technology has enabled our community to attract a whole new wave of participants.

As a member of the site staff, we/MDs can point out two things about the member tally seen at the bottom of each forum. One factor is that no matter how many members join, the vast majority of any online forum will read but not post. It's just human nature.

The second factor in the membership total involves a limitation in the forum software. The total that is shown also includes applicants designated as spammers and denied active membership. These deactivated spammers comprise about half of the total number displayed.

The community is what we make it. We've found that the best way to engage in a discussion is to start one. And we're glad that you've started this one, because it enables us to clarify the nature of this community and how it operates.

Thanks,

MDs, MM Admin
12-15-2013, 04:12 PM
Website Find Reply
Marley Offline

Threads: 2
RE: whats up ?
thank you, I did not intend to sound inappropriate, rather, I couldn't make sense of things, nor do I discount the work that goes into keeping a site.
Appreciate your clarity.
Marley
12-17-2013, 10:20 PM
Find Reply
MakersDozn Offline
MM Oldtimer

Threads: 186
Friendship/Support  RE: whats up ?
Glad we could help, Marley. Again, we appreciate your asking.

MDs
12-21-2013, 09:51 PM
Website Find Reply
nats Offline
here and there..

Threads: 89
hi Marley,
just to support what MD's said, we've been involved in this site for quite a few years - nothing like as long as MDs though - and have seen activity increase and decrease depending on who is actively posting. it would be great if it was consistently active, but that doesn't seem to be the way any of us are. we all come and go Smile.
Blush Learn how to manage conflict, because the greater the level you can tolerate, the more freedom you will retain - E. Walsh Smile
12-22-2013, 05:08 AM
Find Reply
The People Offline
Long Time Member Who grew Up Here

Threads: 1,021
Just a thought here Nats and MD. While I know that none of us feel like writing every day perhaps some of us who are regulars could make a point of coming by and starting a topic that would encourage comments. For example, I received a fair bit of comment when I brought up teens. The topic of dealing with T issues usually creates a bit of discussion. Not that I am encouraging creation of problems. But if people drop by and see little or no activity they may not come back. We lost a lot of regulars in the months I stayed away - oh the power! J/K. This has happened in the past but there were always new people to fill the gaps. I wasn't around when the changes took place but perhaps if we used quotes or every day issues that even monominds have we could encourage more chatter. Just a thought.
03-16-2015, 01:05 AM
Find Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Just talking Whats new with us Tangled Web 6 4,662 09-02-2012, 08:40 PM
Last Post: Tangled Web