i'm back
mosaic Offline
just another one of us

Threads: 131
i'm back
it took a new motherboard, and buying and installing the operating system but my computer is now back.
10-19-2013, 09:02 AM
Find Reply
tweeter Offline

Threads: 24
RE: i'm back
Smile Welcome!

I'm dreading the demise of XP, as Windows 8, or the ridiculous 8.1, won't work for me.

tweeter
Sno1
"Even the very emptiest of the emptiest
Has a false bottom, a false bottom."
10-19-2013, 10:26 AM
Find Reply
mosaic Offline
just another one of us

Threads: 131
we bought windows 7 and installed it. i am avoiding windows 8 for as long as i possibly can.
10-19-2013, 01:32 PM
Find Reply
tweeter Offline

(10-19-2013, 01:32 PM)mosaic Wrote: we bought windows 7 and installed it. i am avoiding windows 8 for as long as i possibly can.

I might be driven into Apple territory, whatever that holds.
Touch screens, and the kinds of movements of data that are becoming typical, are things my eyes and brain can't handle. Even if they could, whole thing is too manic and distracting.

I have a dumb phone, without internet access. I don't play computer games. Can't stand animated graphics on websites, unless they show what I have asked to see. I go to Youtube. That's about it. I like to be able to see movies on computer, which I use primarily for email and research (medical, abstract ideas, current events, people, dogs, places).
My beloved Dell Inspiron 710m has a smallish screen, which is a perfect size for me.
Feeling like a dinosaur.
tweets
10-19-2013, 02:14 PM
Find Reply
Tangled Web Offline

Threads: 169
Welcome Back Mosaic! Smile
"You may not remember what someone says or does, but you will never forget how they made you feel" Mac Anderson.
10-19-2013, 02:48 PM
Find Reply
nats Offline
here and there..

Threads: 89
welcome back!
Blush Learn how to manage conflict, because the greater the level you can tolerate, the more freedom you will retain - E. Walsh Smile
10-20-2013, 04:21 AM
Find Reply
MakersDozn Offline
MM Oldtimer

Threads: 186
Friendship/Support  RE: i'm back
Glad you're back, mosaic.

When our 10-year-old PC, which ran on WinXP, bit the big one in June of this year, we had to buy a new PC. By default, it came with Windows 8, which we don't like but have gotten used to using. We really liked XP, but it will no longer be supported by Microsoft as of April 2014.

Our FOO has a PC with Vista. Vista is horrible, and we're glad that we never "upgraded" to it. We've only briefly used a PC with Windows 7, and our experience was generally positive, but we don't know enough to comment more than that.

Win 8.1 was made available as of October 17. We intend to upgrade to it because it supposedly returns some semblance of the Start button, which we definitely miss. MS greatly overestimated the relevance of the Metro (smartphone) interface to desktop and laptop users. A large number of users then rightly pointed out that desktop and laptop users need a fully-functioning, traditional interface rather than a mobile-style touchscreen. Microsoft needs to serve the needs of both customer segments, not just the one segment that's providing immediate revenue.

For those who aren't getting a new computer and don't want Win8, we'd recommend Win7, at least for the time being.

MDs
(This post was last modified: 10-20-2013, 05:31 PM by MakersDozn.)
10-20-2013, 10:06 AM
Website Find Reply
tweeter Offline

(10-20-2013, 10:06 AM)MakersDozn Wrote: Glad you're back, mosaic.

When our 10-year-old PC, which ran on WinXP, bit the big one in June of this year, we had to buy a new PC. By default, it came with Windows 8, which we don't like but have gotten used to using. We really liked XP, but it will no longer be supported by Microsoft as of April 2014.

Our FOO has a PC with Vista. Vista is horrible, and we're glad that we never "upgraded" to it. We've only briefly used a PC with Windows 7, and our experience was generally positive, but we don't know enough to comment more than that.

Win 8.1 was made available as of October 17. We intend to upgrade to it because it supposedly returns some semblance of the Start button, which we definitely miss. MS greatly overestimated the relevance to the Metro (smartphone) interface to desktop and laptop users. A large number of users then rightly pointed out that desktop and laptop users need a fully-functioning, traditional interface rather than a mobile-style touchscreen. Microsoft needs to serve the needs of both customer segments, not just the one segment that's providing immediate revenue.

For those who aren't getting a new computer and don't want Win8, we'd recommend Win7, at least for the time being.

MDs

Thanks. When W 7 first came out, I did on online upgrade test. My computer can't take it. Maybe if it were rebuilt.......I don't know, but that doesn't make sense. I'm uneasy as to how long Microsoft will support 7. I've lost confidence in the company. I'm also wondering if the era of reasonably priced, upgradeable laptops (with good memory capacity, etc.) is at an end.

I read an article last week in NYT by techie columnist, David Pogue. I could have it emailed to you directly from the newspaper. I suggest that because there's interactive stuff included that won't work with copy and paste correspondence. Do you want me to do that (I wouldn't put your addy out there without asking permission)? If it's not okay I'll send the article as is.

I don't get the Wall St. J. anymore. They have a good tech columnist. Wonder what he has to say. Last I read from him, I think, the opinion was that the life of a computer would be 2 or 3 years in the not so distant future. You have no idea how thrilled I am. I'm concerned about now though.
tweets
10-20-2013, 12:57 PM
Find Reply
MakersDozn Offline
MM Oldtimer

Threads: 186
Just talking  RE: i'm back
(10-20-2013, 12:57 PM)tweeter Wrote: I read an article last week in NYT by techie columnist, David Pogue. I could have it emailed to you directly from the newspaper. I suggest that because there's interactive stuff included that won't work with copy and paste correspondence. Do you want me to do that (I wouldn't put your addy out there without asking permission)? If it's not okay I'll send the article as is.

Here's David Pogue's page at the Times.

http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/p/david_pogue/

Which article are you referring to?

MDs
10-20-2013, 05:35 PM
Website Find Reply
tweeter Offline

(10-20-2013, 05:35 PM)MakersDozn Wrote:
(10-20-2013, 12:57 PM)tweeter Wrote: I read an article last week in NYT by techie columnist, David Pogue. I could have it emailed to you directly from the newspaper. I suggest that because there's interactive stuff included that won't work with copy and paste correspondence. Do you want me to do that (I wouldn't put your addy out there without asking permission)? If it's not okay I'll send the article as is.

Here's David Pogue's page at the Times.

MDs

It's this one:
Reconciling 2 Worlds With Windows 8.1
By DAVID POGUE

October 17, 2013, Thursday
10-20-2013, 10:30 PM
Find Reply
The People Offline
Long Time Member Who grew Up Here

Threads: 1,021
(10-20-2013, 10:06 AM)MakersDozn Wrote: Glad you're back, mosaic.

We used XP and then 7 and have a computer that has 8 that we avoid using for a couple of reasons. Like you we liked XP the best. It did things that they gave up with the newer versions. Cannot think of an example off the top of my head but it is frustrating.
Win 8.1 was made available as of October 17. We intend to upgrade to it because it supposedly returns some semblance of the Start button, which we definitely miss. MS greatly overestimated the relevance of the Metro (smartphone) interface to desktop and laptop users. A large number of users then rightly pointed out that desktop and laptop users need a fully-functioning, traditional interface rather than a mobile-style touchscreen. Microsoft needs to serve the needs of both customer segments, not just the one segment that's providing immediate revenue.

MDs
I Am My Only Chance For A Hero!
10-22-2013, 02:34 AM
Find Reply
The People Offline

(10-20-2013, 10:30 PM)tweeter Wrote:
(10-20-2013, 05:35 PM)MakersDozn Wrote: Here's David Pogue's page at the Times.

MDs

It's this one:
Reconciling 2 Worlds With Windows 8.1
By DAVID POGUE

October 17, 2013, Thursday
10-22-2013, 02:36 AM
Find Reply
The People Offline

Sadly we do not know tech speak.
10-22-2013, 02:37 AM
Find Reply
tweeter Offline

(10-22-2013, 02:37 AM)The People Wrote: Sadly we do not know tech speak.

Same here. I'm not the sort who should be sent romping into the registry. Took me years to reach the point I'm at now, which is at the upper end of beginner status, in the old technology. shrug.
Out of the market for a Solid laptop with a lot of memory. FM found cheap Windows 7 laptops, with so-so ratings. No thanks. In a lot of ways, feel like I'm sitting on the top of a ship's mast, looking out on the Bermuda Triangle.
10-22-2013, 12:25 PM
Find Reply
The People Offline

LOL.

I was thinking of you and MD last night. In Canada we have an air miles program where we get points for shopping at certain stores. Many of mine come from getting my meds (for a variety of things) from Safeway. I would almost have enough to go to NY. I have never seen it and it would be fun to go there and meet up with youse guys. Sadly one must pay for hotel and other things (camping in someone's home doesn't work for us) Our doctor might be able to make a case for us to leave the country to go to something positive 9meeting other multiples) but if not we would lose income for the time that we were gone. Ah well. Some day. Ocean and I have talked about that a lot but we haven't seen her in a while. It is scary for us to think about flying all that way to meet strangers we have known for 10 years if you get my drift.
10-22-2013, 01:26 PM
Find Reply