Mosaic Minds Community Forums
sleep problems - Printable Version

+- Mosaic Minds Community Forums (https://www.mosaicminds.org/forums)
+-- Forum: Main Street (https://www.mosaicminds.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Forum: Health Center (https://www.mosaicminds.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=31)
+--- Thread: sleep problems (/showthread.php?tid=406)

sleep problems - Dreamscapes Collectives - 06-06-2012

hey. We were wondering if anyone has suffered from sleep deprivation and then had the hardest time trying to find your balance once you could sleep again. the last two weeks have been hell, and while it makes sense to us that we'd be tired,we didn't figure it would be so intense.

us

RE: sleep problems - Tangled Web - 06-06-2012

I have suffered from sleep deprivation and it is very intense for me. I get overly emotional and overwhelmed very easily. It is almost like the internal walls are too tired to stand and defend anymore. Even after I start to get my sleep again....it takes a bit before everything calms down, but thank goodness it always eventually does.

RE: sleep problems - Jess and The Hamlet - 06-06-2012

Hi, we suffer from sleep deprivation and have done from a very early age. Our sleep pattern is not very good at the best of times but there are times, like the last week, when it is extremely bad. We also find it very intense and really struggle to find a balance when we are able to sleep a bit better. We often find it very hard to fuction when our sleep pattern is at it's worst.

We can also relate to what Tangled Web says about feeling like internal walls not being able to stand and defend anymore. We often feel very vulnerable and fragile at these times.

We have found, though, that a lot of the time things do settle down a bit eventually.

Tara and Jess

RE: sleep problems - MakersDozn - 06-07-2012

(06-06-2012, 02:07 PM)Dreamscapes Collectives Wrote: hey. We were wondering if anyone has suffered from sleep deprivation and then had the hardest time trying to find your balance once you could sleep again. the last two weeks have been hell, and while it makes sense to us that we'd be tired,we didn't figure it would be so intense.

us

Hey, folks....welcome to the new digs. Smile

We have constant sleep issues. We haven't been really deprived of it lately, but it often isn't good quality sleep. Folks who don't come out when we're awake often process things while we're trying to sleep. Undecided

Wish we could be of more help to you. Sending good thoughts.

MDs

RE: sleep problems - WendyLee - 06-20-2012

MDs that is interesting! My PCP is going to make an appt for me for a sleep study, so I am interested in the results.

RE: sleep problems - MakersDozn - 06-22-2012

(06-20-2012, 01:17 PM)WendyLee Wrote: MDs that is interesting! My PCP is going to make an appt for me for a sleep study, so I am interested in the results.

We've known a few people who have had sleep studies done. For us, we already know we have a problem, and we don't know what such a study would tell us that we don't already know.

MDs

RE: sleep problems - WendyLee - 06-22-2012

MD, My DS just got a Cpap machine after doing a sleep study to see if one would help, and he says he is thinking clearer and has more energy using the Cpap. He has never snored, but he tosses and turns and needs more sleep than most ppl, and they felt he did not get a deep sleep. I have really shallow breathing all the time, sleep a lot, and have unrefreshed sleep and other symptoms that for years doctors (and I) have just attributed to fibromyalgia. I am hoping some of my symptoms can be alleviated with a Cpap machine and I can get my stress levels down as much as possible.

RE: sleep problems - MakersDozn - 06-22-2012

(06-22-2012, 02:08 PM)WendyLee Wrote: I am hoping some of my symptoms can be alleviated with a Cpap machine and I can get my stress levels down as much as possible.

We know some other folks here at MM who have benefited from having a CPAP. Thing is, we don't want one. For one thing, it's a bit triggering for us to think of having to sleep with a gadget over our face, no matter how small, unobtrusive, or beneficial said gadget may be.

Our sleep problems don't stem from a breathing issue. They stem from unresolved issues that we've been working on in therapy. As we told our current boss (speaking in the singular, of course), we put stuff out of our mind during the day, and it comes out at night when we're trying to sleep.

Hope the CPAP helps you.

MDs

RE: sleep problems - Elizabethn - 06-27-2012

(06-06-2012, 02:07 PM)Dreamscapes Collectives Wrote: hey. We were wondering if anyone has suffered from sleep deprivation and then had the hardest time trying to find your balance once you could sleep again. the last two weeks have been hell, and while it makes sense to us that we'd be tired,we didn't figure it would be so intense.

us

Oh my YES. It can take a long time to recover from even mild loss of sleep.

RE: sleep problems - Elizabethn - 06-27-2012

(06-22-2012, 02:08 PM)WendyLee Wrote: MD, My DS just got a Cpap machine after doing a sleep study to see if one would help, and he says he is thinking clearer and has more energy using the Cpap. He has never snored, but he tosses and turns and needs more sleep than most ppl, and they felt he did not get a deep sleep. I have really shallow breathing all the time, sleep a lot, and have unrefreshed sleep and other symptoms that for years doctors (and I) have just attributed to fibromyalgia. I am hoping some of my symptoms can be alleviated with a Cpap machine and I can get my stress levels down as much as possible.

This could be a huge benefit for you. I've been on CPAP since 1996 and it restored my sanity. Low oxygen levels and chronic sleep deprivation make a person crazy. You might find the fibro symptoms improve, too.

RE: sleep problems - Dreamscapes Collectives - 07-01-2012

(06-22-2012, 05:38 PM)MakersDozn Wrote: We know some other folks here at MM who have benefited from having a CPAP. Thing is, we don't want one. For one thing, it's a bit triggering for us to think of having to sleep with a gadget over our face, no matter how small, unobtrusive, or beneficial said gadget may be.
MDs

This is one of the reasons I don't want to bother with a sleep study. We absolutely CANNOT sleep with something that covers our mouth or nose. And we know that a Cpap would the result of a sleep study because we do snore, badly, and have for years. My dad and son have the same breathing problems and the same snore.

*shrug* right now, except for sometimes making me more tired than I want to be on days when we or our partner have doctor appts, we just continue to ignore the tired that's from snoring. The whole avoiding the bed and sleep thing comes up at times but this has been some of the worst couple months with our sleep, or rather lack there of. Undecided

ShayRisa
Realms Collective

RE: sleep problems - WendyLee - 07-01-2012

My DS said it has taken a while to tweak the settings on the CPAP machine, but he got the air flow to his liking now.

We cannot sleep under the covers breathing stale air, or if we have a stuffed up nose, so we are hoping we can tolerate a mask with fresh air.

As we get older we seem to be feeling more and more claustrophobic when getting lost while driving, in long dark hallways, or in those nasty big revolving doors at the VA hospital... or maybe it is that we are learning to recognize our triggers more with behavior mod therapy.

We were trained as kids to ignore the triggers which led to a lot more stress.

RE: sleep problems - MakersDozn - 07-01-2012

Hi ShayRisa,

Thanks for letting us know you understand about the triggering aspects of CPAP. We hope you can find another way to make things better.

MDs

RE: sleep problems - My_horse_is_my_therapist - 08-09-2012

I have chronic nightmares and sleepwalking several nights a week. After several nights of this, flat out, I'm actually unable to tell if I am awake or asleep.
My husband wonders sometimes if it is an alter coming out and doing stuff, and not me, they are still kind of hidden.

I feel for you! ThA good nights sleep is like a breath of fresh air!