Has anyone heard of this?
The People Offline
Long Time Member Who grew Up Here

Threads: 1,021
May trigger  Has anyone heard of this?
There is a site I go on called Care 2. They cover issues from all over the world. Tired of never seeing anything on DID I googled it within the site. Someone started a petition stating that people are trying to pull the DX from the DSM. That FMS people are working on this. Conspiracy theory or some reality to this. I live in the middle of no care land and have heard nothing about this. What about down in the US. Is there talk about this? The petition was closed with no reason given.
08-16-2013, 05:10 AM
Find Reply
dragonfairy Offline

Threads: 7
RE: Has anyone heard of this?
We live in middle North East US and here the DID is an acceptable diagnosis but I do have to say that it is not all over the US. In some states it not even recognised as a true illness. So I am not sure if what you read is true or a hoax. Wish we were able to tell you more one way or another as we would like to know more ourselves. But we would like to believe that at least here it is not going to happen. We have a great therapist and psychiatrist that we work with and both are known for working with people specifically with our diagnosis. So that tend to help us believe that more people are accepting and believing of it now than they have been in the past. Hope that helps even if just a little. Going to try and google what you are talking about though and see if we can find more info as well. Keep us informed please if you hear more.
Runs with scissors.....Bwahahahahahahah
08-16-2013, 09:22 AM
Find Reply
MakersDozn Offline
MM Oldtimer

Threads: 186
Question  RE: Has anyone heard of this?
We've heard about Care2 but did not know it would be a place to post a petition about a psych Dx. Just out of curiosity, have you done the same search of petitions at Change.org?

MDs
08-16-2013, 11:59 AM
Website Find Reply
MakersDozn Offline
MM Oldtimer

News/Information  RE: Has anyone heard of this?
We just went to Change.org. Found a petition to *keep* the dx in the DSM. It has some supportive responses, including both professionals and multiples.

http://www.change.org/petitions/american-psychiatric-association-apa-keep-the-diagnosis-of-dissociative-identity-disorder-in-the-dsm-v
MDs
08-16-2013, 12:04 PM
Website Find Reply
The People Offline

(08-16-2013, 12:04 PM)MakersDozn Wrote: We just went to Change.org. Found a petition to *keep* the dx in the DSM. It has some supportive responses, including both professionals and multiples.

http://www.change.org/petitions/american-psychiatric-association-apa-keep-the-diagnosis-of-dissociative-identity-disorder-in-the-dsm-v
MDs

That is scary. So 2 different places have petitions with this issue. It is hard enough for us to be recognized as it is. I don't know why the petition was shut down and when I tried to find a place where I could ask I had no luck. I have pretty much stopped going there. I don't know about you but it seems like every issue in the world pops up some place but ours. There is a psych central or something and I emailed to suggest that they put something in on DID. Got a lame response. Lots on bi-polar and depression etc and while that is not bad it is like "Hello! I am here!"
08-18-2013, 01:00 AM
Find Reply
MakersDozn Offline
MM Oldtimer

News/Information  RE: Has anyone heard of this?
Just went to Psych Central, because after all these years, we were pretty certain they still have info on DID. Here's their info page:

http://psychcentral.com/disorders/dissociative-identity-disorder-symptoms/

The one thing that bothers us initially is that we had to access this page through their page on Personality Disorders. DID isn't classified in the DSM as a personality disorder; it's classified as a dissociative disorder. But people *think* it's a personality disorder because the original name for it was Multiple *Personality* Disorder.

Here's their corrresponding message forum:

http://forums.psychcentral.com/dissociative-disorders/

Hope this helps.

MDs
08-18-2013, 09:34 AM
Website Find Reply
The People Offline

Found this
http://www.dissociative-identity-disorder.org/references/22.html

Was updated less than a year ago. Guess that is why the petitions were stopped. Some sort of urban legend got started and people panicked; or wanted to create panic.
08-18-2013, 07:50 PM
Find Reply
MakersDozn Offline
MM Oldtimer

Feedback  RE: Has anyone heard of this?
Thanks for the link. Looks like a good site, from what we can tell. We need to go back and read more later.

MDs
08-25-2013, 12:46 PM
Website Find Reply
MakersDozn Offline
MM Oldtimer

Feedback  RE: Has anyone heard of this?
(08-25-2013, 09:13 PM)Elizabethn Wrote: The dissociative disorders will be retained in the DSM V.

Good to hear. Some yahoo starts a movement or a petition to discredit the dx, and people understandably get upset and start petitions or movements of their own.

We can't help but wonder if the whole problem is created/exacerbated by the media. The media always want a story, so they google something they think is controversial (i.e. some FMS nut who wants the dx discredited), and they write a story about it. They bring it more attention than it would have gotten otherwise, and they start the whole cycle of petitions and counter-petitions and needless worry on the part of the multiple community.

Just our 94 cents.

MDs
08-27-2013, 10:55 PM
Website Find Reply
finlyalive Offline

Threads: 6
We were diagnosed when it was MPD. Now it is DID. It is known that most people are disociative to some degree. "Driving down the road and don't remember getting from point A to point B". I realize that DID is different, but perhaps too many are throwing it all in the same pot.
Fin

Only as high as I reach, can I grow.
Only as far as I seek, can I go.
Only as deep as I look, can I see.
Only as much as I dream, can I be.
--Karen Ravn
08-29-2013, 10:48 PM
Find Reply
The People Offline

(08-27-2013, 10:55 PM)MakersDozn Wrote:
(08-25-2013, 09:13 PM)Elizabethn Wrote: The dissociative disorders will be retained in the DSM V.

Good to hear. Some yahoo starts a movement or a petition to discredit the dx, and people understandably get upset and start petitions or movements of their own.

We can't help but wonder if the whole problem is created/exacerbated by the media. The media always want a story, so they google something they think is controversial (i.e. some FMS nut who wants the dx discredited), and they write a story about it. They bring it more attention than it would have gotten otherwise, and they start the whole cycle of petitions and counter-petitions and needless worry on the part of the multiple community.

Just our 94 cents.

MDs

I will raise you 6 cents. Will that be enough to get you a Snapple down there? Who knows? I don't know about others but I don't hear much about the FMS Fidiots anymore but also don't hear much about our dx either unless some famous person (more likely male0 comes forward then there is a parade and a float. hey did you know that RoseAnn (whatever her last name is now) has stepped back from her story that she is multiple and that her parents were abusive? I saw that about a year ago during a seldom taken peek at Oprah's last season.
08-31-2013, 01:37 AM
Find Reply
The People Offline

(08-29-2013, 10:48 PM)finlyalive Wrote: We were diagnosed when it was MPD. Now it is DID. It is known that most people are disociative to some degree. "Driving down the road and don't remember getting from point A to point B". I realize that DID is different, but perhaps too many are throwing it all in the same pot.

People who really know their stuff recognize that most people drive on autopilot at least some of the time. I don't think the person would be dxd unless the T was a Fidiot... saying that I do realize that there are a lot of those around too.
08-31-2013, 01:39 AM
Find Reply
MakersDozn Offline
MM Oldtimer

Just talking  RE: Has anyone heard of this?
So Roseanne (it's Roseanne Barr again) is backing off her dx? Sounds convenient. Anybody with an iota of what we call "we-dar" (the multi equivalent of gaydar) can see she's as multi as any of us.

Laura and others
08-31-2013, 10:10 PM
Website Find Reply
nats Offline
here and there..

Threads: 89
(08-18-2013, 09:34 AM)MakersDozn Wrote: DID isn't classified in the DSM as a personality disorder; it's classified as a dissociative disorder. But people *think* it's a personality disorder because the original name for it was Multiple *Personality* Disorder.

i don't personally think i'm a disorder, either personality or dissociative... i'm more of a *re-order* or *otherwise ordered* Smile
Blush Learn how to manage conflict, because the greater the level you can tolerate, the more freedom you will retain - E. Walsh Smile
09-06-2013, 02:13 PM
Find Reply
MakersDozn Offline
MM Oldtimer

Agree  RE: Has anyone heard of this?
(09-06-2013, 02:13 PM)nats Wrote: i don't personally think i'm a disorder, either personality or dissociative... i'm more of a *re-order* or *otherwise ordered* Smile

Hear, hear! Good one, nats! Smile

MDs
09-06-2013, 09:19 PM
Website Find Reply