Bought a New Mattress Set....
MakersDozn Offline
MM Oldtimer

Threads: 186
Doing okay  Bought a New Mattress Set....
We'd post a link to a picture, but we can't find one online. The mattress is supposedly a new model, and we can't locate it on any website. Ohwell.

Our existing mattress, which we've had for about 10 years (we can't remember exactly), is in good condition. It's on the firm side and doesn't sag. But we can't tolerate the firmness anymore, and we've been waking up with lower-back pain nearly every morning for a couple of months now.

Part of the problem is that in nearly 25 years of commuting to work, our commute includes nearly 2.5 miles total of walking per workday, in addition to the train ride itself. Walk from house to train, from train to office, and back again, 2.5 miles per day. After nearly 25 years of this, the muscles in our butt, thighs, and lower back are bigger. We've gone up one pants size. It's a PITA, literally.

So, the firm mattress has to go. The new one is considered "plush," which is on the soft side. We tried it out in the store and went "Ahhhhhhhh." Smile Compared about half a dozen other mattresses and kept going back to that one. The new set arrives tomorrow afternoon.

In the meantime, we also made a separate but related purchase, a lumbar cushion. We're using it now at our desk chair. It will also be good when we're sitting at the kitchen table.

And if all goes well, we won't have as much reason to come in to work cranky, unless the crankiness is caused by our job itself. Tongue

MDs
06-22-2013, 08:03 PM
Website Find Reply
tweeter Offline

Threads: 24
Happy  RE: Bought a New Mattress Set....
I'm glad that you've found mattress splendor. Super!
People often require a change in sleeping materials over time. I used to be able to sleep on the floor, with not much padding. Can't do that anymore.

My futon dates from 1993, with a high quality super firm mattress. Kind of compressed over time. I sleep in a semi-upright position (to avoid headaches) most of the time (since around 2006 or so), so irregularities of the mattress surface due to age are not an issue. I have no immediate plans to replace anything now. Maybe some day. I would still go with a very firm substrate, but a different living setup.

I've never really decorated a place. Either I didn't have the oodles of money to do this right for me (as now), or the place was pretty much already furnished by someone else (my ex). My tastes have changed a lot anyhow, since NM. So, no loss. Something I'd like to do if I were loaded, but not top priority.

For some reason, I assumed you were driving to the station and then taking the train. The walk is doable, but truly a pita over such a long time.
You know your own person, but my take of the kind of expansion you describe can be due to water retention (swollen ankles don't necessarily need to occur, but tummy would probably also be included), or, more likely, to the passing of time, probably including weakening of core muscles. A hint of the latter is lower back discomfort.
I'm making intelligent guesses. I'm also thinking: "Sure, and when the heck are you supposed to find time to do fun activities to counteract the changing of proportions and muscular needs that can occur over time?"

sleep well,
tweets Sno1
"Even the very emptiest of the emptiest
Has a false bottom, a false bottom."
(This post was last modified: 06-23-2013, 01:01 PM by tweeter.)
06-23-2013, 12:58 PM
Find Reply
MakersDozn Offline
MM Oldtimer

Doing okay  RE: Bought a New Mattress Set....
Howdy,

The delivery guys showed up at 11:30 this morning. Last night we googled the phrase "how much tip mattress delivery" and got a variety of answers from nothing to 20 bucks each. We gave them five each.

After they left we put the mattress pad and the sheets on and then rolled around on it in all directions. Tongue

We found out via one of the delivery tags that the model is called the Santa Ana. We still can't find it online, but the picture we've posted here is of a similar model.

Thanks,

Laura and others

Attached Files Image(s)

06-23-2013, 01:50 PM
Website Find Reply
MakersDozn Offline
MM Oldtimer

PS....meant to also say something about the point you brought up about water retention. It's not involved in what we described. The size increase we're talking about is muscle-related.

We do retain water at certain times of the month, but that's a separate thing. And don't get us started on belly fat. Undecided You didn't mention it, but it's been a thorn in our....well, belly....for a while now.

Laura and others
06-23-2013, 02:17 PM
Website Find Reply
tweeter Offline

(06-23-2013, 02:17 PM)MakersDozn Wrote: PS....meant to also say something about the point you brought up about water retention. It's not involved in what we described. The size increase we're talking about is muscle-related.

We do retain water at certain times of the month, but that's a separate thing. And don't get us started on belly fat. Undecided You didn't mention it, but it's been a thorn in our....well, belly....for a while now.

Laura and others

Hi, one of those times. I had written a reply last night, plopped on the couch to watch TV and take time to come back to what I had written, and check it before posting. I fell asleep. Next thing I know, it's 7am. The post was intact, but computer froze, so I'm rewriting. Turned out to be the right thing to do.
I've also been getting certificate error warnings over the last weeks just about anywhere I go.

There is such a thing as muscle edema, and much of it, thankfully, has nothing to do with you. You don't have fibro, the real nature of which is a far cry from pharmaceutically-driven bs, IMO. "Subjective swelling" my tail bone. But, I digress.
I don't have the energy to research as much as I would like. Really interesting. And I care about you. I've seen docs fall all over themselves when confronted by swellings, or reports of localized, temporary severe edema. Some can't tell the difference between fat and water, or a mix of the two, and possible pathologies beyond. And so, more technological approaches have arisen. In the current, economic climate, the docs would have to justify such a path, and I don't see it as necessary for you (a hunch).
As your commute exercise is something your muscles are used to, I wouldn't put that on the list of possible causes for muscle swelling.

I was perplexed until you mentioned belly fat. Having not researched this, and how its appearance might be concurrent with other, localized, increased fat deposits, I ask if there's a connection. I also ask if there's a fat/water combo going on inside and outside of muscle tissue.
Is there a body weight difference when comparing now to before? Changes in diet? What is current basal metabolism reading? An even slightly low result can affect a person.

As you know, but it can still take one by surprise, there are body configuration changes that can start in the 4th decade. I think there's a strong familial genetic factor in this, as well as exercise history.

If I put it all together, it occurred to me that with normal physiological changes occurring, maybe there is a relatively mild med side effect that is a contributing factor. That might have been seen before as more generalized, and now has areas more specific to hook onto.

Stay cool in this beastly weather, and happy snoozing,
tweeter
06-24-2013, 09:27 AM
Find Reply
Tangled Web Offline

Threads: 169
RE: Bought a New Mattress Set....
(06-23-2013, 01:50 PM)MakersDozn Wrote: Howdy,

The delivery guys showed up at 11:30 this morning. Last night we googled the phrase "how much tip mattress delivery" and got a variety of answers from nothing to 20 bucks each. We gave them five each.

After they left we put the mattress pad and the sheets on and then rolled around on it in all directions. Tongue

We found out via one of the delivery tags that the model is called the Santa Ana. We still can't find it online, but the picture we've posted here is of a similar model.

Thanks,

Laura and others

Hi MDs. That mattress looks very comfortable to sleep on. I have also been trying to save up some money to get a new mattress and I now prefer the softer ones than the firmer ones. Getting old sometimes sucks especially when you wake up sore, which is starting to occur much more frequently with me. I hope you had a great sleep last night.
TW
"You may not remember what someone says or does, but you will never forget how they made you feel" Mac Anderson.
06-24-2013, 11:26 AM
Find Reply
Cammy Offline

Threads: 98
Hey MD...Congrats on the comfy purchase. I hope it does the trick. Hey, have you thought about daily stretching your butt and hamstrings, and then rolling them with one of those physio rollers. I'm thinking you might have a lot of tightness back there from all the walking, and that causes murdering pain in the back. Just a thought from someone who has been there with similar issues from daily walking.

Enjoy your new nest! Igraine.
Heart
Disclaimer: Any words or phrases used in our posts are meant in a completely respectful manner. Please know that we always endeavour to be kind and supportive.
06-25-2013, 05:23 PM
Find Reply
MakersDozn Offline
MM Oldtimer

Hi all....thanks for the support.

tweeter, to clarify, the muscles in question aren't swelled. They're just bigger because of exercise, and that's what's caused the issues with clothing size, etc.

MDs
06-30-2013, 02:39 PM
Website Find Reply
tweeter Offline

Hi,

Okay.

I'm glad you are well-nested. One of those things, that when it goes well, feels downright luxurious.

cheerios,
tweets
06-30-2013, 09:48 PM
Find Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad Coming off yet another set of meds The People 0 1,278 01-08-2020, 01:05 AM
Last Post: The People