Email.
finlyalive Offline

Threads: 6
RE: Email.
Unfortunately, chess is not a game I have any experience with. That makes sense, though. I compare it to the game on The Price is Right when there are big number blocks on the floor and the contestant has to step on the next number of the car. With each step that he takes, if it is the right step, more blocks are opened up, if not, he moves to a different block. Of course, I think he has to win the right to move. Regardless, there are many movements that he can take to find the path to the cost of the vehicle, but there are problems to solve along the way. You learn from your mistakes and take a different path. I don't know that I have ever seen the game played that all the numbers were straight forward. I don't think there is anything in life that ever is. The only strategy in my own life is to know that you can't make the same mistake over and over and expect a different result. The problem is finding a different way to solve the problem. I'm not there yet.
Fin

Only as high as I reach, can I grow.
Only as far as I seek, can I go.
Only as deep as I look, can I see.
Only as much as I dream, can I be.
--Karen Ravn
05-25-2013, 02:03 PM
Find Reply
tweeter Offline

Threads: 24
(05-24-2013, 08:49 AM)nats Wrote:
(05-24-2013, 04:23 AM)tweeter Wrote: I'm perplexed. In terms of strategy, not generally my strong point, a positive move can be lateral, because one might become happier, or, in the stillness of preparation (the prep. is the positive move) for a change in status. What did you have in mind?

exactly that. sometimes the way forward is blocked, but sideways isn't and can even lead to further forward motion from another position (think of how the knight moves in chess). a step backwards can sometimes provide additional perspective or a chance to learn something previously missed. there is even the perspective that development is a spiral (e.g. coming back to the same point over and over but at a different level each time). my thoughts aren't well-formed on this, but in terms of strategy it is usually better to focus on the desired outcome more than on the path we're currently on to achieving it - then it becomes easier to see the many other possible paths that can be used to get there. sorry if this is too rambling..
Not rambling at all. You speak to what is parallel in my mind, but not verbally clear to me (the way I often think -- there are tradeoffs, but it's worth it). You and others here help me to get back on track, until I need to go off in order to hunt in my own way.

I don't play chess. (I'd like to give Texas Hold 'em P*k*r a try, on a learning basis.) I got your point about the Knight's moves for positioning. You also realize how obsessive entanglements can occur, such that the blazing clarity of intent is lost in a maze of one or more paths. The maze of one path, that is a concept one can fall into. I don't think that's a good idea in the way I mean it.

If the mind follows best (even unknown) potentials for intent success, the results can be almost magical. Have to be ready though, and possess autonomy to act in a second. Some of my saddest mistakes have occurred because I was unprepared for once-in-a-life time opportunities.

If actions or words (often optional in nature) are not necessary, and possibly block options for progress, access to temporary allies, or escape, it might be best to reconsider expressing negative feedback about another person's behavior, to say too much about yourself. I know that well. I should never have told the c*lt people what I was into. I've been too trusting. That translates to not getting it how rotten some people can be, or that they wouldn't h*rm me because I'm a pretty good person. If the events of the last month (including medical, which won't be covered on this board), haven't gotten thru to me, I don't know what will.

I know the concept of clear intent, focus, from another venue. Sometimes that's easily done, especially if you're naturally that way. Intent can get divided, especially emotionally in my case.
Maybe that was the reasoning behind the formation of warrior castes, with codified intent, along with training to accomplish goals, and leaders to define them. A nice model, more than a bit idealized for the long run. Corruption, even if it's only minor change from the original, seems inevitable.

The spiral, my natural habitat! You have expressed its nature better than I have, and given me a foundation upon which I have expanded.

I used to call these phenomena "thought loops," when I got stuck all the time. In my experience, you're not necessarily at a different level on each return, because you're not ready to go. It can be like when you watch a favorite movie many times, seeing things that you missed, whether trivial or life-changing. These observations might not reach the aware mind right away. For some reason you want to see a scene again, and then you open, feel, and know. Your experience is complete. You learn, change, and no longer want to see that movie.

My memory of life resembles snap shots, sometimes like the old time movies, where pages were flipped fast to give continuity. I'll focus on one little thing that got to me (one page), a question in me that I Need an answer to. For instance: "What was that person feeling when he moved that way, when he walked away?" That's one kind of spiral.

In another kind, which is theoretical (with practical implications) and has less emotional content, once I've moved forward, I'll use the same words to describe, but they don't mean the same thing. Different level. I don't do much of that anymore. Probably ran out of old phrasing, and it's done.

Depending on how one functions inside, either it can be as an epiphany. You see, you feel, you might make a decision to Be in a certain way. If so, make that part of you immediately, because the few explanatory words that represent the meeting of the unconscious and the aware, verbal minds are soon lost within minutes or hours. Tracing backward can be like paw prints in the dessert after a sandstorm. At other times, the answer and personal decision can lead to reaching out to another person involved, but you're not examining the scene, as it were. That's done.

I've just described two kinds of spiral experiences.

I think a certain amount of repetitive return to the same level(s) is normal. I find I need to experience, then verbalize a question, which is voluntarily repeated. If that doesn't work, I find that stepping back and reformulating the question generally does. Sometimes you shelve the whole thing, and go back or find yourself there, and it comes together. If the return itself, or conditions experienced, are completely out of control, then a normal way of examining, learning, dealing has become something else.

Answers are to be had. Mostly, it amounts to asking the right questions in the right state of mind. And, then there's timing. That's when I fail, utterly fail. Too late, too late.

Whatever, I'm working hard. I made promises to myself and I'm keeping them. Not an easy life when near the bottom of the feeding chain.

Talk about rambling. Appreciate your input.
tweeter
"Even the very emptiest of the emptiest
Has a false bottom, a false bottom."
(This post was last modified: 05-25-2013, 02:37 PM by tweeter.)
05-25-2013, 02:16 PM
Find Reply
tweeter Offline

Idea  RE: Email.
nats, Now I remember where the "thought loop" thing arose. It started when I realized that if I learned something wrong, it was very hard for me to correct, especially if it was part of a sequence (like a transition in a martial arts form). I had the same trouble with math sequences of actions, playing music, remembering lines for a play. It's like a broken record. Once I came to the same spot where a lapse in memory or mistake was made, I wouldn't remember the correction, and continue to mess up the same ways (and know it). Been like this as long as I can remember.
I don't know whether it was inborn and mild, then reinforced by ridicule or trauma, or a product of childhood stress altogether. My guess. It's probably the former.

Someone told me how to overcome it, and it worked easily, but I can't find where I wrote it down. Fact is, it's possible for. I'd love to know where I put that info. I think it has to do with where I begin again to affect a correction. It's not at the beginning of the thing. That's doomed.

In college, one of my teachers told me I had a learning disorder even though I was very smart. He didn't know what it was. I'm not dyslexic.
On the other hand, I seem to have other abilities, and well, I can't fuss over this. Doesn't make any difference at this point. It's all a done deal.

tweeter
05-25-2013, 03:03 PM
Find Reply
tweeter Offline

finlyalive,
I had just completed a response to your Price is Right post, which I had missed before, and a computer blip took it out. I'll have to get back to this.
I get this sort of thing a lot on this website, or even if I'm in email and don't budge except to write in that letter for a long period of time. At least my email will sometimes do an automatic save, or I can. Next time I might use the draft area here to prevent losing whole posts before I get a chance to enter them.
I'll be back,
tweeter
05-28-2013, 10:35 AM
Find Reply
tweeter Offline

May trigger  RE: Email.
(05-25-2013, 02:03 PM)finlyalive Wrote: Unfortunately, chess is not a game I have any experience with. That makes sense, though. I compare it to the game on The Price is Right when there are big number blocks on the floor and the contestant has to step on the next number of the car. With each step that he takes, if it is the right step, more blocks are opened up, if not, he moves to a different block. Of course, I think he has to win the right to move. Regardless, there are many movements that he can take to find the path to the cost of the vehicle, but there are problems to solve along the way. You learn from your mistakes and take a different path. I don't know that I have ever seen the game played that all the numbers were straight forward. I don't think there is anything in life that ever is. The only strategy in my own life is to know that you can't make the same mistake over and over and expect a different result. The problem is finding a different way to solve the problem. I'm not there yet.

Oh my, I think the last time I watched The Price Is Right was around 1977. What you say makes sense, about learning from mistakes, and that one can't expect a different result from repeated mistakes of the same sort. However, the nature of error, and the patterns which bring like situations and people into a life, can make this learning something that includes, but does not begin or end with the cognitive.
I mean, a person can learn, but might not see the similarities (or, maybe for just an instant, long enough to see, but then treat the situation as something new, and/or be moved by something in another person (which is, indeed, different, as well as similar).

What if you are prepared to meet the challenge, and evaluate the possibilities more carefully, but another person interferes in about the worst possible ways out of unwarranted jealousy, to the point that you're unable to respond and the opportunity terminates?

There are other examples, like an old tape with new words. That's something I heard from someone I know recently. It was so subtle that he didn't see it; the alternate reason he gave (which fits as well) completely hid the other aspect that I'm sure is also operative, but not recognized.

The problem is to remain open to intuitive innovation, which probably won't involve a whole lot of thinking when you are in motion. But, not everyone functions in a highly intuitive way, which must eventually be balanced/tested with reason.

The problem is to accept that it's not just one problem, for, each bad pattern can have a separate mo, and require separate action. Sometimes just about the only thing you can do is avoid (not return to an unkind doc, or not go to docs at all).

I hope this is clear enough.
tweeter
05-31-2013, 04:29 AM
Find Reply