What am I gonna do....
mosaic Offline
just another one of us

Threads: 131
Scared  What am I gonna do....
at this point of building my practice, i take almost any client who walks in the door...

as of now i have three... count 'em.... three! adolescent clients.

i never planned on working with teenagers.

teenagers scare me!

i wasn't a typical teenager, and never understood teenagers when i was one.

oooooh.... what am i thinking

there... terrified rant over.... breathe... i can do this ... breathe...
05-07-2013, 04:42 PM
Find Reply
MakersDozn Offline
MM Oldtimer

Threads: 186
Friendship/Support  RE: What am I gonna do....
Hi mosaic,

Hearing your feelings of anxiety.

You're good at what you do. You can do this.

MDs, sending you strength
05-07-2013, 06:24 PM
Website Find Reply
Reilly Offline

Threads: 32
Feedback  RE: What am I gonna do....
Hi Mosaic.
I hear you. I too was not a typical teen and thought working with them would pose a challenge. However, I discovered that there is a certain purity to these young adults. Most kids I've worked with were not the "problem." It really was a family issue. If I had a dollar for every time a parent said, "I hope you can fix them or figure out what's wrong" I would be rich. So often I wanted to hold up a mirror to the parent when they said that.
Hang in there. You can really make a difference in a child's life.
05-07-2013, 06:29 PM
Find Reply
mosaic Offline
just another one of us

Threads: 131
RE: What am I gonna do....
thanks, MDs and Reilly. i'm very grateful for your words of encouragement.
05-08-2013, 11:08 AM
Find Reply
nats Offline
here and there..

Threads: 89
same anxieties. now i'm the mother of one and not very good at it.
Blush Learn how to manage conflict, because the greater the level you can tolerate, the more freedom you will retain - E. Walsh Smile
05-08-2013, 02:30 PM
Find Reply
Tangled Web Offline

Threads: 169
I can hear your anxiety to and like the others have said I believe you will do great! I have all the faith in the world you will be able to reach these teenagers and help them. You are a great listener and most teenagers just want to be heard. Smile
TW
"You may not remember what someone says or does, but you will never forget how they made you feel" Mac Anderson.
05-08-2013, 04:33 PM
Find Reply
Katz Krew Offline

Threads: 9
Mosaic....I understand the uncertainty of stepping out of your comfort zone and think you are very brave and courageous to have done so. From your posts I have no doubt of your T abilities. Just because you are dealing with them now doesn't mean that you need to continue once you've got a stronger clientele base and/or once you've given it a try. This is just for now. You, as the adult, have every right to change your mind as you go and make adjustments to who you help.

It's funny cause I forget all the time that I can say "no" just because that's my right and thus find myself doing things I then resent or regret. Never had a choice growing up to say no to things. Am definitely exercising that right these days. Currently it's my issue of answering the door when someone knocks unannounced. I do NOT do well with that. So I've given myself permission to not answer if I don't want. I also don't hide the fact that I am indeed home yet am blatantly not answering. The anxiety that comes from that knock on the door is something I've dealt with for a long time. I have one friend who totally gets my reaction and doesn't answer the door herself either and I have another friend who thinks I'm weird for not answering but he doesn't deal with anxiety like I do. I don't care what anyone thinks. I am doing what I need to do when it happens. I am taking care of ME these days. It's awesome being an adult!

<3
Jamie of Katz Krew
Heart
Jamie for Katz Krew

A Krew of many now blended as one.

Beauty is accepting yourself regardless of other people's acceptance of you.
~~Thich Nhat Hanh
05-08-2013, 05:14 PM
Find Reply
finlyalive Offline

Threads: 6
Throughout the years, I have had the opportunity to help others with many types of issues. I am not a professional anything, of course. But, I have found that this peculiar diagnosis that I have offers different perspectives. We have a way to relate to people in a way that no one else possibly could. I truly believe that my children benefited. They always had playmates and someone to understand. That is a complicated story. I guess what I am trying to say is that although this is out of your comfort zone, you have a way to help these young people that most people don't. Sometimes MPD or DID seems like a curse, but it does have its advantages.

I do not know your profession and am only assuming. You are in my thoughts and I send wonderfully glittered thoughts your way!

Fin
Fin

Only as high as I reach, can I grow.
Only as far as I seek, can I go.
Only as deep as I look, can I see.
Only as much as I dream, can I be.
--Karen Ravn
05-09-2013, 08:59 PM
Find Reply