Does anyone else choose to wear black?
Cammy Offline

Threads: 98
Does anyone else choose to wear black?
98% of my wardrobe is black. It has been this way for decades. It is what I (we) feel the most comfortable in. I've always wondered if it's just me or if other multi minds find that black is their favorite and most predominant wardrobe color choice. Please let me know as I am very curious about this. If I find that the answer is yes, that would be extremely interesting in terms of why. Thanks for helping me out with this.
Heart
Disclaimer: Any words or phrases used in our posts are meant in a completely respectful manner. Please know that we always endeavour to be kind and supportive.
03-31-2013, 06:07 PM
Find Reply
nats Offline
here and there..

Threads: 89
RE: Does anyone else choose to wear black?
we have a majority-black, three colour wardrobe - it's not intentional but when we replace something we only seem to buy black/dark red/dark green. anything else is a gift or jeans..
Blush Learn how to manage conflict, because the greater the level you can tolerate, the more freedom you will retain - E. Walsh Smile
04-01-2013, 06:00 AM
Find Reply
k-01 Offline

Threads: 1
My wardrobe is pretty random, though it is filled with black and dark grey, and black is the most worn colour... So yes, I choose to wear black most of the time, my shoes are all black, and my nails are almost always black. =P

As for me, why? I have no idea, I just seem to like things that are black. And I like to see black contrasting with "winter pale" skin. When I was a teenager we wore a lot of grey, to try to blend in, and I guess from there black become the default, and then colours, and now black again. I think it's pretty much because black is a fairly neutral colour, no one hates black!

Kathy
04-03-2013, 06:51 AM
Find Reply
MakersDozn Offline
MM Oldtimer

Threads: 186
Just talking  RE: Does anyone else choose to wear black?
When we were in our 20s (the body is 51 now), we were a stage manager with a theater group for several years. We wore a lot of black then out of necessity.

Now a significant portion of our leisure wardrobe is t-shirts, many of which are baseball-related. We have to dress more businesslike at work, though. Our work attire is what we'd call "nondescript business casual." It's based on mostly dark pants and neutral, primary, or secondary colors.

A number of us detest pastels because we see soft colors as a sign of vulnerability, although there are occasional pastel items in our wardrobe. We'd consider it wasteful to discard an item that's in good condition. Makes little sense, but it's true.

MDs
04-11-2013, 03:34 PM
Website Find Reply
nats Offline
here and there..

Threads: 89
It IS wasteful to discard an item that's in good condition. Unless we can give it to someone who wants it, we wear it till it falls apart..
Blush Learn how to manage conflict, because the greater the level you can tolerate, the more freedom you will retain - E. Walsh Smile
04-13-2013, 04:47 AM
Find Reply
Cammy Offline

I agree with not wasting. But I would dye it black first, then wear it until it fell apart. I'm thinking that maybe black to me represents all colors combined, and as such my whole system agrees that it is acceptable to everyone. When it comes to black, there is total consensus. This may be why it works for us. Anytime I try another color, there's always someone who doesn't feel quite right or comfortable in it. Everyone feels at home in black.
Heart
Disclaimer: Any words or phrases used in our posts are meant in a completely respectful manner. Please know that we always endeavour to be kind and supportive.
04-15-2013, 11:57 PM
Find Reply
dragonfairy Offline

Threads: 7
Strange we never thought about it much until you said it but yes most of our clothes are also black or all dark colors. Very few of our clothes are lighter. The few that we have that are lighter were either gifts or are ones that a few of the "bigs" that host more wanted to represent them and then decided later on really weren't them and have sat in the closet now for a long time. We have been asked alot over the years why we tend to where such dark clothes and we never honestly have come up with any answer other then it's what we like. Most have either animals, dragons, skulls, or a few have just designs on them. Nothing fancy just something that we all feel comfortable in. Interesting to us thought that so many of us in this group all where black or darker clothes though. Always thought is was just us..lol
Runs with scissors.....Bwahahahahahahah
04-16-2013, 12:40 AM
Find Reply
Katz Krew Offline

Threads: 9
For me black pants have always been part of my wardrobe because it helped us blend in better. Plus I've been overweight pretty much all my life and the black always hid it better...to us anyway. Tops have always been a different matter to me. Never been into flashy colors and since the pants were always black never had an issue matching tops to them. I started a weight release journey Jan 2012 and now wear jeans almost exclusively. Tops are getting more and more shaplier vs a t-shirt that's over large to begin with (better to hide my body in). Even had the ladies properly fitted so I really don't hide myself as much as I used to. It's been quite empowering really as I uncover the treasure of myself and heal old issues.

<3
Jamie of Katz Krew
Heart
Jamie for Katz Krew

A Krew of many now blended as one.

Beauty is accepting yourself regardless of other people's acceptance of you.
~~Thich Nhat Hanh
04-17-2013, 10:39 AM
Find Reply
The Warren Offline
Configurator of Things

Threads: 95
Most of my tops are purple. We did not even realize it until we were organizing the closet. We like purple.

I'm not sure having a lot of black clothes says anything other than you like to wear that color. Maybe you just like the color or maybe you like how it looks or whatever.
"And I'm a million different people from one day to the next." - The Verve, Bittersweet Symphony
04-20-2013, 08:58 PM
Find Reply
MakersDozn Offline
MM Oldtimer

Threads: 186
Doing okay  RE: Does anyone else choose to wear black?
(04-20-2013, 08:58 PM)The Warren Wrote: Most of my tops are purple. We did not even realize it until we were organizing the closet. We like purple.

Hm. In all the years we've known you, we've never noticed this.

Maybe you left the purple stuff at home when folks met in 3d? Tongue

MDs
04-23-2013, 05:58 PM
Website Find Reply
Elizabethn Offline
Read Only

Threads: 13
Black is my "base" color, I suppose, but my wardrobe is full of color, mostly cool colors (blue based). I don't wear anything related to brown and hardly any warm colors. There's a lot of royal blue, purple, magenta, fuchsia etc. in my closet.
05-02-2013, 10:23 PM
Find Reply
Cammy Offline

Well, after receiving everyone's posts (and thank you all who took the time to comment), it seems that while many prefer darker colors, there does not appear to be a huge predominance of exclusive 'black dressers'. I can conclude nothing from this except that for me, it is the color that I feel totally comfortable in. If I wear color at all, it is only one item (a sweater), and it is on one of my 'good' days. The rest of the time black is how I truly feel, and maybe I feel like it doesn't make me stand out as much as color would. It is what it is I guess.

Again, thank you all for posting your wardrobe preferences. I was once told that people with borderline personality disorder are super into black clothes, so that's where I became curious and wondered about black for DID. No, I don't have BPD, but I do love my black. Even black cars, trucks, black dogs cats...it goes on. It's a me thing I see now. (Maybe I'm related to the Addams' family...Uncle Fester? Hmm.)
Heart
(This post was last modified: 05-04-2013, 10:09 PM by Cammy.)
05-04-2013, 10:07 PM
Find Reply
Ripley2010 Offline

Threads: 1
I wear virtually nothing but black because I have a poor body image. In black, I go much more unnoticed by others.
05-05-2013, 04:08 PM
Find Reply
Cammy Offline

Aha...so I have found a 'brother in black' and for the same reasons that I wear this color. Thank you Ripley, you've made my day!
Heart
05-05-2013, 05:51 PM
Find Reply
finlyalive Offline

Threads: 6
::giggles and grins:: The wardrobe has many, many black items. However, purple is a color very much likes as well as olive green (go figure). Black is dark and is easy to hide in. So many of mes like to hide. And then, I see these hideous blouses and skirts and wonder where in the world they came from. Hiding them doesn't seem to help. Pajamas are a whole different matter! Everything has to match, but there are some real zingers in there.
Fin

Only as high as I reach, can I grow.
Only as far as I seek, can I go.
Only as deep as I look, can I see.
Only as much as I dream, can I be.
--Karen Ravn
05-06-2013, 09:46 PM
Find Reply