need a haircut
mosaic Offline
just another one of us

Threads: 131
need a haircut
this is a long meandering about hair...

my hair has always been a problem for me

first when i was little i got teased unmercifully because not only was it curly (straight was "in") it was RED and curly.

now i get lots of compliments etc which is nice, but i cannot find a style/cut that works for me

curly hair tends to be very fine in texture, and so even though it curls, it hangs... or, if it's the wrong cut it bushes out...

i found product to tame the frizz (a major issue, especially in humid climate)... but i just can't find a style/cut... i like to be able to pull it back in a ponytail to get it off my neck... but i don't like how it lays flat on my head otherwise... but if i get it cut so it doesn't lay flat, it's hard to do the ponytail thing (not to mention i don't like wearing my hair the same every day - and a short cut kind of demands that)

sigh... i have yet to find a style where i can have the best of both...

curly hair isn't as wonderful as all these women say it is
06-03-2012, 12:03 PM
Find Reply
MakersDozn Offline
MM Oldtimer

Threads: 186
Friendship/Support  RE: need a haircut
Hmmmm....our hair is very straight, so we can't identify with your experience, mosaic, but we definitely empathize with your frustration.

There are actually places in NYC where people pay good money just to get their hair blown out. That's all that these places do. Of course, we get that your point is that you wish curly hair would be considered acceptable by more people. But it made us think of how far some people go to the other extreme.

Hope you find a style/cut that you feel comfortable with.

MDs
06-03-2012, 12:50 PM
Website Find Reply
The Warren Offline
Configurator of Things

Threads: 95
RE: need a haircut
Dude(ette) - someone pointed me in the direction of this site, which gives an overview of the Curly Girl Method. Doing these things really improved the quality of my hair and I can style it curly/wavy now without it looking like CRAP. The cut is important, but how you care for and style your curly hair makes a huge huge huge difference! Try these things even before you get your hair cut and see what difference it makes.

http://www.wikihow.com/Follow-the-Curly-Girl-Method-for-Curly-Hair

This website has a lot of info on curly haircare also and a salon finder. I have long layers in my hair and my stylist does some thinning. My hair is very thick, and it tends to congeal when there's too much of it. The best style for you will depend on how thick your hair is the texture and also the shape of your face. Go to a salon and look through their books. The stylist can work with you to find a cut and style that works well for you. If you make an appointment in advance you can ask for someone who is good with curly hair. They can also show you different ways to style it if you want to change up your look. Curly hair can be very versatile with the right tools and products.

http://www.naturallycurly.com/

Here's a photo of when I first tried the curly girl method out.

Here's are hair after we got a new cut and color.

Blow dried straight and flat ironed

Plopped and air-dried

I use a lot of products recommended to me by someone else with similar hair to mine and some different ones I will add to the list. I find that leave-in conditioner and frizz control spray are essential. I will see if I can find the list and post it here.
"And I'm a million different people from one day to the next." - The Verve, Bittersweet Symphony
(This post was last modified: 06-03-2012, 11:50 PM by The Warren.)
06-03-2012, 05:39 PM
Find Reply
MakersDozn Offline
MM Oldtimer

Threads: 186
Friendship/Support  RE: need a haircut
Lea,

Looks great!

MDs
(who prefer our own hair to be wash-and-go)
06-04-2012, 12:05 PM
Website Find Reply
mosaic Offline
just another one of us

great pictures, Lea!

we already do most of the curly-girl stuff... our frustration lies in not finding a style/cut that we like...

here's what we look like now - it's been several months since our last cut.
(This post was last modified: 06-04-2012, 03:52 PM by mosaic.)
06-04-2012, 03:49 PM
Find Reply
The Warren Offline
Configurator of Things

Threads: 95
Oh I love your hair! There are some websites where you can upload a photo of your head (you want a head shot like the one here but with your hair pulled back) and try on different hair styles. Maybe that will give you some ideas.
"And I'm a million different people from one day to the next." - The Verve, Bittersweet Symphony
06-04-2012, 09:21 PM
Find Reply
mosaic Offline
just another one of us

(06-04-2012, 12:05 PM)MakersDozn Wrote: Lea,

Looks great!

MDs
(who prefer our own hair to be wash-and-go)

We would love wash-and-go hair! lol...
06-05-2012, 10:34 AM
Find Reply
john/hope Offline
^^

Threads: 3
I'm so glad he's an Guy becouse we just have to get out of the shower and dry no messing with hair or anything but I do sometimes wish I had long hair though :p
-hope
(This post was last modified: 06-07-2012, 05:49 PM by john/hope.)
06-07-2012, 05:48 PM
Find Reply
nats Offline
here and there..

Threads: 89
(06-07-2012, 05:48 PM)john/hope Wrote: I'm so glad he's an Guy becouse we just have to get out of the shower and dry no messing with hair or anything but I do sometimes wish I had long hair though :p
-hope

wish we could get away with guy cuts, last time asked styles to cut as short as she dared - really, she didn't dare very short! the front's already in my face again!
Blush Learn how to manage conflict, because the greater the level you can tolerate, the more freedom you will retain - E. Walsh Smile
06-11-2012, 05:00 PM
Find Reply
WendyLee Offline

Threads: 5
Just yesterday I was on here http://www.taaz.com/ and had a ton of fun with different hairstyles and make up.

You need a pic like the one you posted, and you are easily lead thru' putting dots on different locations on your face. Then you can "try on" different types and colors and styles of individual make up and hair. The part I liked the best is the "complete looks" area where media stars pics are shown and you can use all of their make up and hair, and then can change any of it if you want, even eye color!

Oh, and you can adjust the colors and intensities of the make up, too.

Loads of fun! I am amazed at how I looked!
06-21-2012, 07:57 AM
Find Reply
Vivey Offline

Threads: 3
    thanks for your post! I can relate! What issues i had regarding my locks! I just had to share this pic. My mom (not a perp) had this in the family album entitled, "what price, beauty." she did not realize she was not being ironic. LOL!
07-15-2012, 07:08 AM
Find Reply
mosaic Offline
just another one of us

Here's my new 'do. it's still a little wet, but you get the idea.

Attached Files Image(s)

07-15-2012, 12:20 PM
Find Reply
Tangled Web Offline

Threads: 169
Nice hair-do. It looks good on you! I recently got my hair cut off also. It was half way down my back and now it is to my shoulders. It has been way too hot here and having too much hair does not help Smile
"You may not remember what someone says or does, but you will never forget how they made you feel" Mac Anderson.
(This post was last modified: 07-15-2012, 07:16 PM by Tangled Web.)
07-15-2012, 07:16 PM
Find Reply