Taking and giving compliments
The People Offline
Long Time Member Who grew Up Here

Threads: 1,021
Doing okay  Taking and giving compliments
Over the past few weeks, 3 people said something positive to us without our expecting it. Plus 2 friends took us away for a day, introducing us to the outdoor world. It was a reward for doing something that we love and that we already get paid for!

I sent my sister an angel today. She is in Toronto where life is a bit unpredictable. She loved it.

There is a neighbour downstairs who didn't speak when I first moved in. She has made some changes and it shows. She is more willing to chat and seems to need it, Not multiple so far as I know but has PTSD. I acknowledged the changes I could see in her and it pleased her.

If you feel the need to say something positive to an acquaintance, say it. Practice in the mirror if you need to but you will never know what it means to another person. It certainly gave me a boost.

As well, positive self-talk is good. I remember years ago when I worked with a client who had a mental disability amoung other things. I was terrified of him at first. Then I learned to stand up to his anger w/o getting angry myself. Positive reinforcement was the secret.

Pretty soon I was taking my work home. I would take out the garbage and as I dropped it I would say "good job(name).

Positive words are good medicine to ourselves and to others.

I love MM!
I Am My Only Chance For A Hero!
07-24-2018, 01:37 AM
Find Reply
mosaic Offline
just another one of us

Threads: 131
RE: Taking and giving compliments
you are so right, people. positive words are a real blessing - and giving them to others may seem like a small thing, but it may be a big thing to the receiver.

i struggle receiving positive words from others. it's something i'm still working on
07-24-2018, 09:05 AM
Find Reply
The People Offline

Me too Mosaic. I have improved but when you grow up having insults thrown at you itishard to kow how to act around nice people.
07-24-2018, 09:35 PM
Find Reply
mosaic Offline
just another one of us

Threads: 131
when i was little and someone said something positive to me if i told my mom she would say "they're just being nice"... and so i started thinking people in general do not mean it when they compliment me, or are kind to me. it's really difficult to unlearn that.
07-25-2018, 09:22 AM
Find Reply
Collectively US Offline

Threads: 9
That is really awesome people, I think its safe to say that most of us struggle with recieving compliments. I know for us it can make us uncomfortable, it I guess depends on what it is. We do like to compliment pthers when the opportunity is there to do so. Great post
07-25-2018, 09:30 PM
Find Reply
The People Offline

Collectively us it really is good whether receiving or giving. Mosaic, you are so wonderful and I wish you lived in Canada. IMNSHO your Mom was wrongly minimizing something that made you feel good. It has been my experience that adults only tell kids what they feel themselves.
(This post was last modified: 08-02-2018, 06:40 PM by The People.)
07-26-2018, 02:56 AM
Find Reply
Collectively US Offline

Threads: 9
That sounds like our mother too...rough
08-02-2018, 03:50 PM
Find Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Doing okay I am taking a break The People 2 2,128 08-18-2018, 04:21 AM
Last Post: The People