“Forgetting “ about alters
kittyfamily Offline

Threads: 16
“Forgetting “ about alters
Does anyone else go through periods of time where they “forget “ about their alters? I think it probably happens to me because I want to be normal so I subconsciously block them out. I’m trying to learn how to not do it since I know we need each other to really heal.
06-21-2018, 02:04 PM
Find Reply
Cammy Offline

Threads: 98
RE: “Forgetting “ about alters
I went through a period of time where I actually forgot that I even had DID. Everything was so stable and quiet in my life, that the whole DID thing didn't even dawn on me anymore. So, not only did I forget about my alters, I forgot about the entire personality system. Even when I am aware of my multiplicity, there are often alters that I don't think about much because for one reason or another they just aren't very active in any way and I am not needing them much. I have one alter that strictly handles emergencies, medical and otherwise, but if there's no emergency afoot, she's pretty well just quiet and I kind of forget she's there until something dire happens.

I think we all tend to forget about some of our alters based upon what their role in the personality system is and what is going on in our lives at the time. At least, that's how it has been for me. I do recall on a few occasions where I had sort of ignored my teen self, she who carries all the pain, and boy, did she ever cause a major stir in the system when she felt like she was being ignored. Now that we have an understanding and I have made it clear that I respect her and her role, she's generally quiet too, and yes, I go through stretches of time where I just kind of forget about her.

I have no idea if forgetting alters is good or bad, but for me it has been a sign that my life is more stable and that emotionally I'm doing better, But, that's just me. Everyone is different.
Heart
Disclaimer: Any words or phrases used in our posts are meant in a completely respectful manner. Please know that we always endeavour to be kind and supportive.
06-21-2018, 07:17 PM
Find Reply
mosaic Offline
just another one of us

Threads: 131
i'm going through a period where my alters are extremely quiet. i don't know if it's because they're stepping back to let me focus on school or if there's something else going on. when it happens, i do tend to forget about them. in fact things are so quiet that right now i find myself questioning whether i ever had DID at all.
06-22-2018, 09:50 AM
Find Reply
Collectively US Offline

Threads: 9
I don't forget that they are there; however when it's really quiet in there I begin to wonder if I'm crazy vause thier not there. You grow accustomed to them that it feels different and wrong when they are hiding.
06-25-2018, 12:25 PM
Find Reply
The People Offline
Long Time Member Who grew Up Here

Threads: 1,021
Friendship/Support  RE: “Forgetting “ about alters
You have mentioned this before Mosaic. does it really matter whether you were or not? You had dissociative symptoms because you seemed to have had a T who supported that theory. What matters is that you worked hard to become what you are Mosaic. So proud of you!
I Am My Only Chance For A Hero!
06-25-2018, 11:47 PM
Find Reply
The People Offline
Long Time Member Who grew Up Here

Threads: 1,021
Some of us do. Some just block out the others.
I Am My Only Chance For A Hero!
06-26-2018, 12:40 AM
Find Reply