Getting Better all the time!
The People Offline
Long Time Member Who grew Up Here

Threads: 1,021
Doing okay  Getting Better all the time!
Yes I have probably been here whining of late but I thought I would share some of the growth that I have noticed of late.So proud of us.

First of all, while I did not pick up the phone and call a friend when I was struggling, I did BCC the ones who I was sure cared about me even if they weren't already around. (I left out the one going through treatment for the big C). I wrote again when I was feeling better. I did get responses, lunch out, offers of coffee out and a card in the mail.

Second, I stood up for myself instead of just going away mad. I did it fairly calmly instead of Alexa breaking lose. It had to do with my volunteer work and getting there to find too many people on the floor. The person in charge knows this was not supposed to happen and I know that it would be uncomfortable for the patients. So after digging myself out from a snowstorm, driving on roads that had not been ploughed there was nothing for me to do but go home. I did let the volunteer coordinator know as this was not the first time this has happened.

I received an email from her in the afternoon offering me an afternoon position for at least a month. God knows what the person in charge of our sub-group said to her but I got what I needed. I had asked the volunteer coordinator to move me to her group if she had an opening. And it worked out. I do better in the afternoons anyway.

There have been other times when I indicated my needs or stood my ground. Without kicking or raising the roof. Well, I have never been one to kick but have been tempted and I have done more than a few roof raisings in my time.

I am proud of myself. I know my work is not finished in this area but it is well past starting Smile

In honour of this occasion, I actually hung something on my wall. I have been here for over a year but never got around to anything. My 2018 calendar is up as it is going to be a good year!
I Am My Only Chance For A Hero!
(This post was last modified: 01-27-2018, 08:08 PM by The People.)
01-27-2018, 08:06 PM
Find Reply
mosaic Offline
just another one of us

Threads: 131
RE: Getting Better all the time!
this is fantastic. it is so wonderful when we can see progress. and learning to advocate for ourselves is mighty progress. good for you! :-)
01-28-2018, 10:40 AM
Find Reply
nats Offline
here and there..

Threads: 89
excellent progress Smile
Blush Learn how to manage conflict, because the greater the level you can tolerate, the more freedom you will retain - E. Walsh Smile
01-28-2018, 12:24 PM
Find Reply
Silent Society Offline

Threads: 26
Good for you!
02-01-2018, 03:30 AM
Find Reply